Instagram Comments

Jne___

Has anyone else seen the suddenly huge amount of comments Emily Eavis is directly getting on Instagram accusing her of “cultural appropriation” because the tipi field exists. It’s really bizarre and as though a load of American kids have suddenly seen a picture of the park area and launched a bit of a tyraid without knowing a whole lot about the festival. (That it doesn’t profit as vastsly as they think, that it’s not just rich white kids doing it for the gram, that they do so much for charity (there’s accusation that the money *she* makes should help the natives “she’s” “appropriating” ) , that with the exclusion of the one tipi field (?) a lot of the yurt style camping is off site). 

I don’t want to start a debate about the appropriation thing itself because I don’t think debating on here leads anywhere, but it’s just a bit sad to see a misguided attack like that. 

46 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

There's a long running thing about cultural appropriation around native Americans. People selling headdresses etc get targeted.

Isn't the issue of headdress about it being shawn of its meaning though, tee pees are just tents and mean fuck all to anyone.

• Upvote 1

i hate this cultural appropriation thing! should we all just stick to our own ethnic groups and backgrounds and not appreciate other cultures or learn from them? if that were the case, then humanity would have never progressed from living in caves

Edited by prestonmike

every culture appropriated from another back to the very first person.

using the term "cultural appropriation" or seriously complaining about it usually highlights someone as an absolute bellend.

as for the instagram comments, i hadn't noticed as reading the comments on there/twitter/facebook is about as enjoyable as punching myself in the face repeatedly. Not sure why anyone would bother tbh.

• Like 1

Cultural appropriation is the most stupid concept ever. There was a time when the only people who would get upset about white people enjoying things from other cultures were actual white racists. Now it seems that being open minded towards other cultures is the racist thing, while demanding that people "stick to their own" is forward thinking and progressive.

And the idea that it's white people "stealing" from other races and taking credit for the creation of the other races. How many white people who wear dreads would actually say "yeah, us white people invented this hairstyle"?

It actually boggles my mind that people think like this. I'm very pro-free speech but because of everyone's right to free speech, it enables people of low IQ levels to have a platform to spout utter garbage like this.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, VCK said:

Cultural appropriation is the most stupid concept ever. There was a time when the only people who would get upset about white people enjoying things from other cultures were actual white racists. Now it seems that being open minded towards other cultures is the racist thing, while demanding that people "stick to their own" is forward thinking and progressive.

And the idea that it's white people "stealing" from other races and taking credit for the creation of the other races. How many white people who wear dreads would actually say "yeah, us white people invented this hairstyle"?

It actually boggles my mind that people think like this. I'm very pro-free speech but because of everyone's right to free speech, it enables people of low IQ levels to have a platform to spout utter garbage like this.

I think the idea was like criticising people like Kim Kardashian who just trademarked the word 'kimono' and shit like that, but now it just seems to mean anything and everything. 

The Americanisation of British society continues. Never heard anyone over here mention "cultural appropriation" until the likes of Twitter and the Guardian started bringing it up. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VCK said:

A lot of modern "liberals" are basically far right in their behaviour. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

The Americanisation of British society continues. Never heard anyone over here mention "cultural appropriation" until the likes of Twitter and the Guardian started bringing it up. 

Well yeah that was kind of my point. The comments are such a blind attack and by some of them I really wonder if people know that glasto is even in England

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jne___ said:

Well yeah that was kind of my point. The comments are such a blind attack and by some of them I really wonder if people know that glasto is even in England

I'm willing to be they're British. People who spend their lives on social media and read a lot of American articles about race/cultural appropriation etc and then start freelancing articles for websites so we start bringing over here too. It's a new phenomenon. 

8 minutes ago, paulshane said:

social media is full of dickheads who like to spout off about the latest thing that offends them, but like others have said, they'll find some other bollocks to get upset about soon enough.

True. But because “cultural appropriation “ is a hot topic I can see it spurring at least one article and then because glasto tries to be conscious of that sort of things and may take the apparent outrage at face value I wonder if it will result in them to making changes ...who knowwwws 

1 minute ago, Jne___ said:

Bit mad and sad too see 

DF6ED8BB-42EC-4632-8727-F4938ECEFE73.png

3257E9F4-8D12-4441-AB68-D561140BF710.png

695A2514-A4A0-4F33-BC1D-03C84C1F4E62.png

Funny how they're always white. Being offended on behalf of other cultures they don't speak for. 

I bet the Natives would be flattered by it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chinaski_ said:

Funny how they're always white. Being offended on behalf of other cultures they don't speak for. 

I bet the Natives would be flattered by it. 

If it's not white people getting offended by it, it's people repeating what white people in media/academia have told them to find offensive.

I know black and Asian people who have experienced actual genuine racism. Not once have I heard one of them list a white person wearing dreads, or eating a curry, as part of their experiences. Surely "cultural appropriation" is a good thing given that there is a younger generation of white people who are more tolerant and open minded towards other cultures compared to how it used to be, but of course these people who want everyone to be in their own boxes and at each other's throats over something as trivial as race won't like that.

One step away from promoting racial segregation IMO.

5 hours ago, Chinaski_ said:

I've never heard of it until about three years ago when suddenly it became "cool" to be offended over the most trivial of things and look for microaggressions in anything.

I swear back in like 2012/2013 you never heard anyone spout this snowflake bullshit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, VCK said:

If it's not white people getting offended by it, it's people repeating what white people in media/academia have told them to find offensive.

I know black and Asian people who have experienced actual genuine racism. Not once have I heard one of them list a white person wearing dreads, or eating a curry, as part of their experiences. Surely "cultural appropriation" is a good thing given that there is a younger generation of white people who are more tolerant and open minded towards other cultures compared to how it used to be, but of course these people who want everyone to be in their own boxes and at each other's throats over something as trivial as race won't like that.

One step away from promoting racial segregation IMO.

Yeah 100%. None of my Asian friends are offended by white people watching anime for example, yet all I hear from other white people is that it's "cultural appropriation" if non Asians watch it. What do that base that on exactly? I thought we wanted an inclusive society. 

Wikipedia helpfully points out that “Tipis are distinguished from other tents by two crucial elements: the opening at the top and the smoke flaps, which allow the dwellers to heat themselves and cook with an open fire; and the lining that is primarily used in the winter, which insulates.” Two features that as far as I recall don’t feature on the tents at Glastonbury. 

It goes on to explain that the lavvu of the Sami and the Chum from Mongolia are very similar to the Tipi. 

So it appears the festival has it’s nomenclature wrong, and the people on instagram can safely wind their necks in. :)

Edited by musky
  • Upvote 1