Recommend me a music book for my journey.

eastynh

Given what you mentioned your interests are in the OP I assume you may have come across it, but I thoroughly recommend Energy Flash by Simon Reynolds, fittingly named after one of the all time great electronic anthems!

Anything by Simon Reynolds to be honest, his style of writing is just amazing and he really does a great job of bringing in the sociology, philosophy and all that stuff. There are some great parts where he links it all in to social theory/philosophy and references interesting people like Hakim Bey and Deleuze and Guattari and others :) Might be a bit heavy to pack on the coach though mind, it is a big old book!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Energy-Flash-Journey-Through-Culture/dp/0571289134/ref=asc_df_0571289134/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309950375723&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13339289365863014395&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046009&hvtargid=pla-471135189739&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Wow thanks everyone for all the replies. I will work my way through every recommendation.

@Woffy I am going to start with the secret dj one, the David Stubbs electronic music one, the Nico book and I am sure someone posted a 70's disco book.

I have read the Nile Rodgers book and the Johnny Marr one. All the Manchester ones I have and I mean pretty much all of them (how predictable ??‍♂️)

The eels one that @AmyShambles recommended is a deffo as well. I seen them at Mad Cool and one of my friends is a big fan. She was telling me about the lead singer and he seems fascinating.

I do read loads of music books and there is plenty here to get stuck into.

38 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Wow thanks everyone for all the replies. I will work my way through every recommendation.

@Woffy I am going to start with the secret dj one, the David Stubbs electronic music one, the Nico book and I am sure someone posted a 70's disco book.

I have read the Nile Rodgers book and the Johnny Marr one. All the Manchester ones I have and I mean pretty much all of them (how predictable ??‍♂️)

The eels one that @AmyShambles recommended is a deffo as well. I seen them at Mad Cool and one of my friends is a big fan. She was telling me about the lead singer and he seems fascinating.

I do read loads of music books and there is plenty here to get stuck into.

Can’t go wrong with Things the Grandchildren Should Know. 

Absolute corker.

Enjoy them all and keep us posted as to what you thought fella.