Recommend me a music book for my journey.

eastynh

2 hours ago, eastynh said:

So this year I am travelling down by coach and could do with some reading material to take with me.

Can anyone reccomend a decent book to purchase? It could be biography, auto biography, one about a particular scene or anything else music related.

I did buy the new Stephen Morris and Moby books, but have done a Johnny 5 and blitzed through them.

I have got all the ones about Manchester/Madchester, New Order, Depeche Mode, Rave scene, Acid House and so on. I have been posting on here now for quite a while so a lot of you know what kind of stuff I am into. It would be nice to be taken out of my comfort zone a little.

All recomnendations are welcome. If it is a good book then I will get round to reading it eventually, does not have to be just for Glasto.

Now the football season is over and I have stopped winding Scousers up in the football thread, I will have a bit more spare time on my hands to delve into some books anyway. 

HMV used to sell cheap books. They had one called fake plastic trees.

Sounds apt.

25 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

This is absolutely superb, and ends up being about a lot more than music:

klf.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KLF-Chaos-Burned-Million-Pounds/dp/1780226551

Incredible book. Only one I've read twice in a row.

My favourite ones are mainly Manchester based so I'm guessing you're ahead of me with those.

This one was bought for me and turned me into someone who wanted to be a fan of his music (I'm yet to achieve that, really great book though)

Image result for leonard cohen a broken hallelujah

Edited by priest17
no one needs to swear that much this early

2 hours ago, eastynh said:

So this year I am travelling down by coach and could do with some reading material to take with me.

Can anyone reccomend a decent book to purchase? It could be biography, auto biography, one about a particular scene or anything else music related.

I did buy the new Stephen Morris and Moby books, but have done a Johnny 5 and blitzed through them.

I have got all the ones about Manchester/Madchester, New Order, Depeche Mode, Rave scene, Acid House and so on. I have been posting on here now for quite a while so a lot of you know what kind of stuff I am into. It would be nice to be taken out of my comfort zone a little.

All recomnendations are welcome. If it is a good book then I will get round to reading it eventually, does not have to be just for Glasto.

Now the football season is over and I have stopped winding Scousers up in the football thread, I will have a bit more spare time on my hands to delve into some books anyway. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Superstar-DJs-Here-We-Go/dp/0091926939

One of the best dance music related books I've ever read.. charts the rise of DJs such as Sasha, Carl Cox, Fatboy Slim etc. Some great stories!

Couple of my recent favourites... both pretty well known so you may already have come across them, but I enjoyed it. 

Meet Me In The Bathroom - Lizzy Goodman

Discusses the early 2000s in NY, rise of the Strokes/YYY etc. Very enjoyable

Bringing It All Back Home - Ian Clayton

Great book on how music connects with our lives. Pretty poignant ending though so maybe not the best thing to read on your way to the festival. 

Oh and another +1 for the Nile Rodgers autobiography, great read. 

2 hours ago, Daveograve said:

Love this book

1D45E7E0-3CCF-4B3E-B7E1-364E1A3D24BB.jpeg

Yes, I was going to recommend this one too - so many brilliant moments and insights into the punk scene and the 80s, expertly written

Edited by ravermum
Removed overuse of the word, "brilliant." It was bugging me.

1 hour ago, Daveograve said:

Love this book

1D45E7E0-3CCF-4B3E-B7E1-364E1A3D24BB.jpeg

Yes this is a good one, very interesting view of those times. 

I also really liked the Johnny Marr one, Patti Smith's Just Kids is wonderful too. Sylvia Paterson I'm not with the band is an interesting account of music journalism and Tracy Thorn Bedsit Queen. Tracy is a really good writer. I believe she has another book out as well now that I would like to read. Another one I've just remembered was Slash's autobiography. That was interesting! 

One I read but didn't really enjoy was Kim Gordon's. Not sure what it was but didn' t really do it for me. 

Edited by gigpusher
added another book.

I also have to recommend this one to everyone, an amazing insight into The Worlds Greatest Ever Band that's written so well and in such a relatable way that even if you're not a massive fan of The Fall or just don't really know anything about them you'll enjoy.

Image result for the big midweek

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Big-Midweek-Life-Inside-Fall/dp/190192758X

• Upvote 1

I really enjoyed the biography of the guy that owned Brixton Academy (before it turned into a chain of venues)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IOLFGSS/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Bit of a rags to riches story. He came from a family that had had money, but blew it all so he had posh school upbringing and contacts, but no money. He comes across as a bit of a chancer, but also passionate about music and a decent bloke. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dont-You-Leave-Me-Here/dp/1408708000

Wilko Johnson - From growing up in 50's Essex, his hippie travels in Asia to Dr. Feelgood and beyond and finally his beating of his 'terminal cancer' A great read although he wasn't very complimentary about his time at Glastonbury the other year.

41QSiD2bR%2BL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Edited by tjamest

52 minutes ago, joeruss said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Superstar-DJs-Here-We-Go/dp/0091926939

One of the best dance music related books I've ever read.. charts the rise of DJs such as Sasha, Carl Cox, Fatboy Slim etc. Some great stories!

Yes- I have read a lot of dance related books and enjoyed this one

I enjoyed this one too

19188596.jpg

And I listened to this on audiobook a few years back as was doing a lot of driving and found it enjoyable:

s-l640.png