2 minutes ago, Cat Man said:

Are James really strong enough (or relevant enough) to headline the BBC Music Stage? Them + Solange seems to me to a pretty weak way to open the festival

James are definitely headlining the BBC Music stage

6 minutes ago, curlyjake said:

James are definitely headlining the BBC Music stage

Okay, disappointed in that. They're a good band, but there are others on the undercard I would have preferred to see headline. Wolf Alice would have done a great job, although I'll admit I'm looking forward to seeing them outside on the Obelisk

27 minutes ago, Cat Man said:

Are James really strong enough (or relevant enough) to headline the BBC Music Stage? Them + Solange seems to me to a pretty weak way to open the festival

I'm biased as James are probably my favourite band of the past 30 years but, yes, they are strong enough. Their last album got to number 2 in the charts - which is 15 places higher than Solange has ever reached! They sell out every gig they play in the 3,000 capacity area and always sell out Manchester Arena when they play (18,000 capacity). They played numerous headline gigs in forests etc in 2016/17 and, perhaps most importantly, they are awesome live - seen them 8 times!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Cat Man said:

Have a feelin she played latitude recently, poss even last year?

Rae Morris did the Lake Stage. Not last year but either 2016 or 2015 (can't remember which)

Sigrid was in the woods at the I Arena last year. It was busy for her even then so if she returned she would definitely be on one of the two bigger stages. 

11 minutes ago, rseamer said:

Rae Morris did the Lake Stage. Not last year but either 2016 or 2015 (can't remember which)

2015 by the looks of it, can't find anything about her being there in 2016. Three years is a sizeable gap between festivals. She has also released one of the most acclaimed pop albums of the year so far (and probably one of the best by the end of 2018). Not too dissimilar to Christine and the Queens' success.

MHD - the French rapper - is at Lovebox on the Friday, I wonder if he would appear at Latitude. Would offer great variety to the line-up

59 minutes ago, Cat Man said:

Okay, disappointed in that. They're a good band, but there are others on the undercard I would have preferred to see headline. Wolf Alice would have done a great job, although I'll admit I'm looking forward to seeing them outside on the Obelisk

I think having James & Solange on at the same time makes more sense than Wolf Alice & Solange when you think about their possible fanbases.

52 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

I'm biased as James are probably my favourite band of the past 30 years but, yes, they are strong enough. Their last album got to number 2 in the charts - which is 15 places higher than Solange has ever reached! They sell out every gig they play in the 3,000 capacity area and always sell out Manchester Arena when they play (18,000 capacity). They played numerous headline gigs in forests etc in 2016/17 and, perhaps most importantly, they are awesome live - seen them 8 times!

THE tent was also packed to the rafters in 2014, in the daytime. I'm sure it will be again. 

I'm guessing I can't win this one as you sound like James' biggest fans but I have to stick by what I said. They're a very good band but given this used to be the 6music stage with all that stands for, I would have preferred Wolf Alice. Also, having two female headliners on the opening night would have been one helluva statement of intent from FR, though I suspect Wolf Alice   might have ended up being a bigger draw than Solange. BTW I'm not sure about the crossover between the fan bases of those two acts- personally I have no interest whatsoever in Solange, but am hugely impressed and a massive fan of WA.

• Like 1

Why do we have bands returning after such a short spell? Alt j and The Charlatans for example. I like both, but they just seem to be the easy option. Solange headlining? I give up.

Don't like The Killers, but they make sense for latitude at least. And Harry Hill, a comedy headliner. Yay. Ffs.

At least Idles (another return) are playing.

Generally, whoever is playing, I have a hoot, so whatever.

Ignore me.... I'm tipsy.

1 hour ago, retromoz said:

THE tent was also packed to the rafters in 2014, in the daytime. I'm sure it will be again. 

Indeed it was as was the first time I saw them and were so good i've seen them twice since. Definitely headliner for the tent. It also makes sense putting Wolf Alice outside as they will still probably draw a bigger crowd.

50 minutes ago, Cat Man said:

I'm guessing I can't win this one as you sound like James' biggest fans but I have to stick by what I said. They're a very good band but given this used to be the 6music stage with all that stands for, I would have preferred Wolf Alice. Also, having two female headliners on the opening night would have been one helluva statement of intent from FR, though I suspect Wolf Alice   might have ended up being a bigger draw than Solange. BTW I'm not sure about the crossover between the fan bases of those two acts- personally I have no interest whatsoever in Solange, but am hugely impressed and a massive fan of WA.

A friend of mine travels the globe for work and often goes to gigs in the cities he's working in, seeing around 50 acts or more every year. He saw Solange last year, knew absolutely nothing about her, and reckons she was the best act he saw in 2017, over and above much bigger names  (and he's a rock and indie fan). He has implored me to watch her. If she's up against James then there's no chance but, if not, I'll give her a go. 

3 hours ago, Cat Man said:

I'm intrigued as to why you rejected Wolf Alice given what you say about the Killers and The Vaccines? Strongly suggest you give both albums a proper listen!

I think my problem is I'm not a fan of rock/indie bands with female vocalists... I don't know why, because I like female groups and soloists. I'll definitely give them another listen between now and July, regardless! I've made a playlist with most of the acts on it. Quite liked Gang of Youths, and didn't realise how many James songs I knew. Just realised I haven't put any Solange on my list, I really should!

Don't know about anyone else, but I'm most DEFINITELY going to catch Confidence Man on the Lake Stage! Just gave their music a try and goddamn they know how to create a good song!

On 12/02/2018 at 2:52 PM, Smeble said:

What ‘calibre’ of people are you referring to that can’t posibly like the killers and rag n bone man whilst being nice people?

Sorry, I'm well aware of how elitist that came across. I obviously don't mean everyone. I'm just upset about just how much the festival has changed.

Unfortunately booking bands like the Killers - invites more, well, 'normal' people. And normal people aren't terribly musically curious, and much more prone to chatting through the show, pushing to the front, shouting stupid phrases across the camp site, etc. This is even more of an issue with the more radio-friendly acts.

I am just being a grumpy bastard of course, and I have no issues with festivals catering for that audience. I just wish Latitude hadn't changed so much. It's kind of opposite to what they originally stood for.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, FestivalNewbie7 said:

I think my problem is I'm not a fan of rock/indie bands with female vocalists... I don't know why, because I like female groups and soloists. I'll definitely give them another listen between now and July, regardless! I've made a playlist with most of the acts on it. Quite liked Gang of Youths, and didn't realise how many James songs I knew. Just realised I haven't put any Solange on my list, I really should!

Thing with WA is that their sound is pretty diverse. If you listen to both albums in their entirety I'd be very surprised if there wasn't something you didn't like. Speaking personally, I went thru my late teens with bands like Sonic Youth, Pixies/Breeders, MBV, ThrowIng Muses, Hole etc etc and think there's a special kind of chemistry you get when you have both sexes in a band together. I've also developed a theory over the years that female indie songwriters bring something very different to the mix that's hard to define. If you listen to Kim Gordon's lyrics, or Courtney Love, there's a really barbed kind of wit there that a lot of male indie bands lack. Try listening to Goat Girl if you want a more contemporary example of what I'm talking about. Of course I'm talking in generalisms here and there will always been the exception that proves the rule.

So unless the other festivals pull out some surprises, is this the best camping festival in the UK this year? Reading/Leeds, IoW, Download, and Bestival all look pretty lame.

5 minutes ago, FlaviusMaximus said:

Sorry, I'm well aware of how elitist that came across. I obviously don't mean everyone. I'm just upset about just how much the festival has changed.

Unfortunately booking bands like the Killers - invites more, well, 'normal' people. And normal people aren't terribly musically curious, and much more prone to chatting through the show, pushing to the front, shouting stupid phrases across the camp site, etc. This is even more of an issue with the more radio-friendly acts.

I am just being a grumpy bastard of course, and I have no issues with festivals catering for that audience. I just wish Latitude hadn't changed so much. It's kind of opposite to what they originally stood for.

I kind of see where your coming from, but I have to disagree about the Killers. I don't mind admitting I'm in my fifties now and I've been into everything from Swans through to Kyuss, Portishead, Mogwai, Interpol etc etc. But I still maintain that the first 5 songs on Hot Fuss are among the finest indie tracks ever laid down. No surprise they've never been able to hit those heights again.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cat Man said:

Thing with WA is that their sound is pretty diverse. If you listen to both albums in their entirety I'd be very surprised if there wasn't something you didn't like. Speaking personally, I went thru my late teens with bands like Sonic Youth, Pixies/Breeders, MBV, ThrowIng Muses, Hole etc etc and think there's a special kind of chemistry you get when you have both sexes in a band together. I've also developed a theory over the years that female indie songwriters bring something very different to the mix that's hard to define. If you listen to Kim Gordon's lyrics, or Courtney Love, there's a really barbed kind of wit there that a lot of male indie bands lack. Try listening to Goat Girl if you want a more contemporary example of what I'm talking about. Of course I'm talking in generalisms here and there will always been the exception that proves the rule.

My favourite song lyric of all time:

"If YOU'RE SO SPECIAL, WHY AREN'T YOU DEAD? - Kim Deal, Breeders (from, "I just Wanna Get Along") B)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cat Man said:

I don't mind admitting I'm in my fifties now

:lol:

you must have to be carried around the festival in a sedan chair....!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

:lol:

you must have to be carried around the festival in a sedan chair....!

Oh I just had to like that comment!:rofl:

But seriously, though, its not a bad idea if yur offering?

3 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

So unless the other festivals pull out some surprises, is this the best camping festival in the UK this year? Reading/Leeds, IoW, Download, and Bestival all look pretty lame.

it might be, End of the Road looks very tempting though

I am struggling to find a festival this year, decided on not going abroad for some reason

1 hour ago, Cat Man said:

Oh I just had to like that comment!:rofl:

But seriously, though, its not a bad idea if yur offering?

you had best get a double sedan chair... i am at the wrong end of my fifties...

tbh, it is one of the things that makes Latitude appeal... it is so easy to get about.. Glastonbury (particularly a muddy one) kills my dodgy old knees..

after a few years of Glastonbury, when i first attended Latitude(2013) i couldnt believe that they would have grandstands around the main arena.. ("how fecking middle class..")... but now i love it on a sunny late morning, with a newspaper and a pint, sitting up the back watching a early bands...

Heading to Bearded Theory this year for the first time (as a Glastonbury replacement) and that is even smaller.... I will be able to get away with just the zimmer frame.!

• Like 1

Does anyone know why the day line-ups still haven't been announced? The last time I did a full weekend was 2014 and since then I have done day tickets only. I've never known the tickets to go on sale without the splits being confirmed.

Re James, I missed them in 2014 because I wasn't awake in time for the rearranged midday slot, so really looking forward to seeing them this time. But I was also surprised to see them named as a headliner.

5 minutes ago, Raindow Rhythms said:

Does anyone know why the day line-ups still haven't been announced? The last time I did a full weekend was 2014 and since then I have done day tickets only. I've never known the tickets to go on sale without the splits being confirmed.

Re James, I missed them in 2014 because I wasn't awake in time for the rearranged midday slot, so really looking forward to seeing them this time. But I was also surprised to see them named as a headliner.

It could be that Latitude would prefer weekend sales than day only..?? you are likely to get more ancilliary spend from a weekend dweller (booze, food, merch)

with it being The Killers, people will just want a ticket regardless... If you can get a weekend one now it save the angst of trying for a limited number of day tickets.?