the mud effect

shuttlep

14 hours ago, russycarps said:

I spoke to someone last night who went this year for the first time and he hated it. First person I've ever met who has been entirely negative about the place. The mud, the music, the late night entertainment. It was a curious experience.

Needless to say I'll never be speaking to the daft little c**t again.

i know a guy that came in 05 , hated every minute./ said he would never return. He walked around with a  mega phone claiming how rubbish the place was and then made a George bush and Tony Blair effigy and set them alight with a crowd watching.

2010, bumped into him again, he was having a  ball, saying how wrong he was and how the weather has made a difference, by this time he had also discovered drugs

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who are these people who don't fall in love with the place before they've even pitched their tent? I've loved Glastonbury ever since our car rounded the corner of a country lane in the small hours of Wednesday morning 2013 and I caught my first glimpse of the lights all twinkling in the dark, and the Pyramid at the centre of it all. I remember it well, Everything Has Changed by Taylor Swift was on the radio.

Somebody from work has told me she's trying to get tickets in October; she's exactly the sort of loony lefty, tequila swigging party animal that will love it and get loads out of it. I would much rather a ticket be in her hands than the sort of hemmeroid who leaves their tent and loads of rubbish for somebody else to pick up. However, I have warned if that if she gets a ticket and I don't, I will be murdering her. I reckon I've put off a fair few undesirables as well, posting about how they wanted to go next year, rubberneckers like, not the sort who belong amongst us. Told them how muddy it was and how filthy the toilets are. But these are the sort of people I don't mix with so they're like "go away, not spoken to you since school". Hopefully they'll vividly remember me in my past form as a strange emo kid with a Robyn obsession and habit of drawing Satanic symbols on stuff and decide it's not for them if I'm there.

9 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Who are these people who don't fall in love with the place before they've even pitched their tent? I've loved Glastonbury ever since our car rounded the corner of a country lane in the small hours of Wednesday morning 2013 and I caught my first glimpse of the lights all twinkling in the dark, and the Pyramid at the centre of it all. I remember it well, Everything Has Changed by Taylor Swift was on the radio.

Somebody from work has told me she's trying to get tickets in October; she's exactly the sort of loony lefty, tequila swigging party animal that will love it and get loads out of it. I would much rather a ticket be in her hands than the sort of hemmeroid who leaves their tent and loads of rubbish for somebody else to pick up. However, I have warned if that if she gets a ticket and I don't, I will be murdering her. I reckon I've put off a fair few undesirables as well, posting about how they wanted to go next year, rubberneckers like, not the sort who belong amongst us. Told them how muddy it was and how filthy the toilets are. But these are the sort of people I don't mix with so they're like "go away, not spoken to you since school". Hopefully they'll vividly remember me in my past form as a strange emo kid with a Robyn obsession and habit of drawing Satanic symbols on stuff and decide it's not for them if I'm there.

Too right.  This "Glastonbury for everyone" bullshit has given us an invasion of the squares.

10 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

This. Brother in law took me to first one in 2009, and he was just watching my face for the moment we stepped off Muddy Lane and onto the top of Big Ground for my first proper view of the place.  Sold, sold, sold.  Fire at the stone circle that night? Sold all over again.

On 27/07/2016 at 9:16 AM, stuartbert two hats said:

Too right.  This "Glastonbury for everyone" bullshit has given us an invasion of the squares.

Quoted for truth.

It really isn't. I've maintained this for years but generally under a storm of people objecting saying it should be - but it just isn't.

I wrote a lot more stuff but then felt like a grumpy old man so stopped. It's not a theme park, but it's sold like one basically and that's what we get.

I said I would have a rest after this year, got a little Padgey on the way, but after another fantastic year I was all over 2017.  Finally broke it to the missus I was going next year (if successful), I got a look, a shake of the head and the reply "well I'll have a little break to Dubai with the mother".  Deal brokered!

4 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

It really isn't. I've maintained this for years but generally under a storm of people objecting saying it should be - but it just isn't.

I particularly like the grumbles that people with a right-wing outlook on life feel outnumbered by the left-wing nature of the festival.

"But it's supposed to be inclusive and for everyone, and I'm not made to feel welcome!"

Do one :fuck:

9 minutes ago, Padgey said:

I said I would have a rest after this year, got a little Padgey on the way, but after another fantastic year I was all over 2017.  Finally broke it to the missus I was going next year (if successful), I got a look, a shake of the head and the reply "well I'll have a little break to Dubai with the mother".  Deal brokered!

Oh, and congrats on the imminent arrival Padgey :)

9 minutes ago, Quark said:

I particularly like the grumbles that people with a right-wing outlook on life feel outnumbered by the left-wing nature of the festival.

"But it's supposed to be inclusive and for everyone, and I'm not made to feel welcome!"

Do one :fuck:

Hah too right - or "It was alright, but why did they have to bang on about that depressing charity stuff - I just came to have a good time not politics" *fumes* then do something about it so it's not depressing and is a source of hope instead perhaps? ARGH

Actually I don't really mind people arriving thinking that, but when it all just slides past them and they say that afterwards I just think that was a wasted ticket when there are so many who want to go who Do care and so many who'd benefit from a yearly restoration of faith in humanity. That's still going on though there's just a lot of tourists too only interested in themselves

I worry that they handled the mud well enough this year it won't have had it's usual effect of putting the more casual people off. It looked as fabulous as ever. This just is the festival now unless they wind it back in a bit it's not going to lose it's place in the limelight and I've firmly joined the group wanting to spend less time in Babylon

3 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

I've firmly joined the group wanting to spend less time in Babylon

That's a real shame Frosty, for a couple of reasons.  Firstly it's sad that you no longer feel it's somewhere you want to be (if not ever then certainly not as regularly), but also it means that's one less person going who gets what the place is about and potentially another numpty taking your place.

You're damn right about the faith in humanity part though.  For every dickhead pissing against a tree or dropping beer cups there's a group of lads helping people push their barrows up muddy lane or a crowd of people joining the marching kazoo band.

16 minutes ago, Quark said:

That's a real shame Frosty, for a couple of reasons.  Firstly it's sad that you no longer feel it's somewhere you want to be (if not ever then certainly not as regularly), but also it means that's one less person going who gets what the place is about and potentially another numpty taking your place.

You're damn right about the faith in humanity part though.  For every dickhead pissing against a tree or dropping beer cups there's a group of lads helping people push their barrows up muddy lane or a crowd of people joining the marching kazoo band.

think @frostypaw is referring to the big stages, particularly Pyramid/Other when he says Babylon, rather than the festival as a whole - for years that's how  the Green Fields crew have been referring to the more commercial/touristy areas of the festival.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

think @frostypaw is referring to the big stages, particularly Pyramid/Other when he says Babylon, rather than the festival as a whole - for years that's how  the Green Fields crew have been referring to the more commercial/touristy areas of the festival.

Aha.  My ignorance exposed.  Again.

I'll go and get the cone of shame...

1 hour ago, frostypaw said:

Quoted for truth.

I wrote a lot more stuff but then felt like a grumpy old man so stopped. It's not a theme park, but it's sold like one basically and that's what we get.

Absolutely spot on. There is a multitude of people who are not welcome at the festival. And I will continue to do everything in my power to put those sort of c**ts off going.

And if anyone needs to ask "but who are these c**ts?" then they are probably one of the c**ts themself.

Edited by russycarps

Trouble is they have the tempting acts :D I did all three pyramid headliners this year, can't be bothered feeling snooty enough to miss that fun

Indeed - the good stories still abound. On the way out one of the disableds was still overjoyed at three lads who'd sweated, huffed and puffed their wheelchair all the way across the Other field then just wished them a good day and walked off. The spirit lives on 

1 minute ago, frostypaw said:

Trouble is they have the tempting acts :D I did all three pyramid headliners this year, can't be bothered feeling snooty enough to miss that fun

Indeed - the good stories still abound. On the way out one of the disableds was still overjoyed at three lads who'd sweated, huffed and puffed their wheelchair all the way across the Other field then just wished them a good day and walked off. The spirit lives on 

I can't help but feel the sentiment is somewhat diluted by the phrase "one of the disableds" :lol:

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

I can't help but feel the sentiment is somewhat diluted by the phrase "one of the disableds" :lol:

I was one too this year! There was a separate little line in chat about how to survive the whole thing, was really interesting finding people with the same issues as me from entirely different causes too. They really do offer a great service

Bluedot was a bit of a revelation as being a tiny fraction of the size and not muddy I wasn't ruined just getting about and could dance and enjoy myself properly. Still aching four days later, but it's better than the week of death after Glasto. Just gotta see how the Boomtown hill does for killing me now, totally hoping the travellator thing is back

12 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

I was one too this year! There was a separate little line in chat about how to survive the whole thing, was really interesting finding people with the same issues as me from entirely different causes too. They really do offer a great service

Have you been following the thread with the blog linked it to it?  Very interesting.

10 minutes ago, Quark said:

Have you been following the thread with the blog linked it to it?  Very interesting.

I am entirely unaware of it - I shall go look. Tbh last weekend was the first time I've not felt grievously robbed of a proper festival experience so only just getting the head back over the parapet.

4 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

I am entirely unaware of it - I shall go look. Tbh last weekend was the first time I've not felt grievously robbed of a proper festival experience so only just getting the head back over the parapet.

10 hours ago, russycarps said:

Absolutely spot on. There is a multitude of people who are not welcome at the festival. And I will continue to do everything in my power to put those sort of c**ts off going.

And if anyone needs to ask "but who are these c**ts?" then they are probably one of the c**ts themself.

Yep.

Every single person who has latched on with the "I want to go, what was the mud like?" Line has been hit with a description of torn feet, missed bands, hunger, poor sanitation and any other shite I can think of.

Need a ticket in October.

Selfish bastard, I know.

Another great festival from my perspective, although the mud had an impact on the time between areas resulting in me seeing/doing less. And although the missus thoroughly enjoyed her first time there this year, I would have loved her experience to have been of beautiful areas and swathes of green grass, even tables and chairs inside tents seemed coated in inches of mud dragged inside by weary bimblers. We're deffo trying for 2017 tickets :)

bad news - a lot of bucketlisters have been saying to me they're going next year

good news - they seem blissfully unaware of the ticket process, I've selfishly not informed them of the military level planning involved bwahahahaaaa

On 28 July 2016 at 11:41 AM, frostypaw said:

Quoted for truth.

Agree with you about this as the newbies I took this year were quite irritating and really didn't get how special the festival is, they spent the whole weekend marching around the site looking at everything rather than doing it, was pretty upset about it really as they weren't interested in the Glastonbury I was hoping to show them, I will be more mindful about who I bring along in the future. 
Charm x