Rock Werchter 2017

Red Day

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, jacjens said:

"Easily" is stretching it quite a bit. I'd say the possibility of any big band playing Finland -> Belgium -> Sweden in three days is not existing. DJ's or smaller acts might be able to do it. Finland -> Day off -> Sweden -> Belgium is a whole other story and will be the case with The Killers, if they're booked for Rock Werchter.

I think the pattern for big bands over the last couple of years has been they're trying to avoid doing three shows in a row unless it's geographically close. Still, Bring Me The Horizon played Roskilde -> Bråvalla -> Werchter -> Provinssirock in a row last year. Even with just playing one hour-sets, I can only imagine how exhausting it must have been at the end.

I'd check out The Lumineers touring schedule, everything is possible haha

17 minutes ago, gunther Mickey said:

+ Mark Lanegan

+ Duke Garwood

+ Lyenn

They will be added this week if we consider some belgian rumors

Duke Garwood and Lyenn are part of Mark Lanegan's backing band, not separate artists ;) But Mark Lanegan self-confirmed this morning, so he's 100% sure in the next announcement.

25 minutes ago, Dietediet said:

Duke Garwood and Lyenn are part of Mark Lanegan's backing band, not separate artists ;) But Mark Lanegan self-confirmed this morning, so he's 100% sure in the next announcement.

Ow ok :). But it's very curious because Lyenn it's a belgian band too (ex- Dans Dans) (http://botanique.be/artiste/lyenn) and in this article (http://www.indiestyle.be/album-reviews/knikkebollend-richting-apocalyps-met-garden-of-ashes-van-duke-garwood) they announce the presence of Duke Garwood the same day of Mark Lanegan band at Werchter. They write about his solo project too. So I don't know what I'm supposed to thing about these informations :). I hope you're right because Lyenn (the belgian band) it's absolutely not my cup of tea.

Edited by gunther Mickey

17 minutes ago, gunther Mickey said:

Ow ok :). But it's very curious because Lyenn it's a belgian band too (ex- Dans Dans) (http://botanique.be/artiste/lyenn) and in this article (http://www.indiestyle.be/album-reviews/knikkebollend-richting-apocalyps-met-garden-of-ashes-van-duke-garwood) they announce the presence of Duke Garwood the same day of Mark Lanegan band at Werchter. They write about his solo project too. So I don't know what I'm supposed to thing about these informations :). I hope you're right because Lyenn (the belgian band) it's absolutely not my cup of tea.

Well it's more assumptions from my side, based on logic. But Duke Garwood is apparently appearing in several songs on Mark Lanegan's new album and that Lyenn guy was the bass player in the Mark Lanegan Band's most recent tours. On top of that I doubt that a late afternoon tent act would be allowed to bring 2 support acts to a major festival with only about 20 acts per day. So either those artists are part of his band or they are joining him on stage for a few songs. 

5 minutes ago, Dietediet said:

Well it's more assumptions from my side, based on logic. But Duke Garwood is apparently appearing in several songs on Mark Lanegan's new album and that Lyenn guy was the bass player in the Mark Lanegan Band's most recent tours. On top of that I doubt that a late afternoon tent act would be allowed to bring 2 support acts to a major festival with only about 20 acts per day. So either those artists are part of his band or they are joining him on stage for a few songs. 

This clash finder confirms the three separate artists but wait and see... (http://clashfinder.com/s/17rockwerchter/

Edited by gunther Mickey

1 minute ago, Red Day said:

Am I correct in thinking any bands playing Dour don't play RW ?

If they are international acts, first confirmed by Dour, they will surely not play at RW. The other way around is possible, but also incidental. Some Belgian acts might play both. 

11 hours ago, Cappo Smiffy said:

I've been to a whole bunch of camping festivals in the uk and a couple abroad, but I have some n00b questions about this fest if anyone would be kind enough to care to share some info?

- How early do camping tickets usually sell out? (we talking very soon, june ish, or unlikely to sell out?)

- average age, is it anything goes like glasto, teens and a bit of early 20s like reading, or a lot of 20-40's like download?

- After hours, I guess music on stages ends around midnight? are there any tents, silent discos, or anything going on when that shuts? 

- Reading has a good fb group for people who go/camp alone to meetup, anyone got a clue if this has anything? (no idea if i can get people to go yet)

- And finally are there any unique pros or cons about this festival compared to others? weird drinking exclusions/regs, good/bad security, amazing things to do there, good guy/girl ratio etc?

thanks all!

Hello! 

- There is always enough space for everyone to camp. The Hive camping can sell out but don't worry about it too much, it is really big and won't sell out soon. More info on regular camping to follow soon! 

- Festivals attract young people but at RW there are also a lot of adults. Average age is around 30 I estimate. 

- The stages end at around 1 - 2 am and after that there is nothing to do at the festival site. There is a party tent at The Hive camping though which ends at around 4am I think. 

- I don't know about any fb group like that for RW, sorry. 

- It's just a really well organised festival with the best lineups imo. What might seem weird to you is that there is nothing else to do besides watching bands and chilling on the grass. You come to RW for the music, not to do a lot of side activities. But don't worry, there are so many good bands that you won't even think about side activities :)

12 hours ago, Cappo Smiffy said:

I've been to a whole bunch of camping festivals in the uk and a couple abroad, but I have some n00b questions about this fest if anyone would be kind enough to care to share some info?

- How early do camping tickets usually sell out? (we talking very soon, june ish, or unlikely to sell out?)

- average age, is it anything goes like glasto, teens and a bit of early 20s like reading, or a lot of 20-40's like download?

- After hours, I guess music on stages ends around midnight? are there any tents, silent discos, or anything going on when that shuts? 

- Reading has a good fb group for people who go/camp alone to meetup, anyone got a clue if this has anything? (no idea if i can get people to go yet)

- And finally are there any unique pros or cons about this festival compared to others? weird drinking exclusions/regs, good/bad security, amazing things to do there, good guy/girl ratio etc?

thanks all!

Concerning the fb group, I'm about to look into that myself, since I will probably not be able to motivate any of my people but decided now to go either way. Haven't been to Werchter since 2012 and its definitely time to pay it a visit again. 

Seems like there are several fb groups and guess there are also some on couchsurfing. https://www.facebook.com/groups/289932587721492/

Hey,

New to this forum but have kept my eye on it over the years and figured it may be time to actually join! This year will Ben my 3rd wertcher and can't wait.

Have been keeping my eye on announcements at other festivals and was wondering what you guys think on the likelyhood of the foals? They just got announced as reading and Leeds headliner (who may well have had a we announce first as they are a headliner) and since have had a few festival announcements. Also playing at garorock same weekend as RW17

Would love biffy too, but I feel like they are less likely than foals. (Were amazing in a RW tent a few years back when they were headlining reading over here)

Few bands like sterophonics, feeder, vaccines and franz keep getting announced for lots of smaller UK festivals too. Hope we get a few of them. 

Bring on Friday!

23 minutes ago, Antbot89 said:

Hey,

New to this forum but have kept my eye on it over the years and figured it may be time to actually join! This year will Ben my 3rd wertcher and can't wait.

Have been keeping my eye on announcements at other festivals and was wondering what you guys think on the likelyhood of the foals? They just got announced as reading and Leeds headliner (who may well have had a we announce first as they are a headliner) and since have had a few festival announcements. Also playing at garorock same weekend as RW17

Would love biffy too, but I feel like they are less likely than foals. (Were amazing in a RW tent a few years back when they were headlining reading over here)

Few bands like sterophonics, feeder, vaccines and franz keep getting announced for lots of smaller UK festivals too. Hope we get a few of them. 

Bring on Friday!

Welcome!

Foals played at RW2016, so don't count on them for RW2017. More likely to play at Pukkelpop2017. Biffy Clyro isn't really popular around here, have difficulties in selling out a venue of 1800 persons in Belgium this year. 

Edited by DaveRSV4

I wouldn't count foals out for this year, we already have a few examples of back to back bookings so let's wait a bit more. I think biffy are almost certain(80% sure, but will probably be announced next week or even later). Foals could easily be barn headliner or main subs(depending on the final placement of alt-j) if the killers or kasabian are not booked. As long as they are not announced for another festival on that weekend, it is still plausible.

Edited by neacaisa

Foals isn't even close to subbing.. If you count every band that's touring right now and was on RW16 then you'd expect Savages, Bear's Den, Nathaniel Rateliff, Blossoms etc etc

The only back booking we had is James Blake which was a strange one because no one really expected him to get 'm back and Bazart which is normal because they opened the Barn last year and blew up in 2016. I don't expect to see a lot of backbookings, atleast I hope so. Blake is probably gonna take the closing Klub C spot, that could've easily gone to someone else.. Same thing would happen with Foals, though I don't see them getting a Barnhead spot..

Worth noting that Foals aren't headline R&L either that was last year! There only UK festival appearance this year is going to be Citadel in London on 16th July.

They do seem to be around at the right time, they've even been put at what you'd assume by the poster is subheadline lots at both Mad Cool and benicassim in Spain, a week and two weeks after RW.

I'd love to see them there but with them doing it last year as well maybe Pukkelpop is more likely :mellow:. I don't know their popularity in Belgium but they seemed to have a very low slot in '16, suppose if they have a bigger fan base now a higher slot isn't out the question. 

48 minutes ago, alexlloyd said:

I'd love to see them there but with them doing it last year as well maybe Pukkelpop is more likely :mellow:. I don't know their popularity in Belgium but they seemed to have a very low slot in '16, suppose if they have a bigger fan base now a higher slot isn't out the question. 

Huge Foals-fan myself. The Barn was packed last year. They also played in Vorst National in februari last year. Vorst can host about 8000. The upper ring was closed, lower ring wasn't completely filled, and the "standing"-tickets weren't sold out. I guess about 4000 persons attended. Foals isn't popular here as in GB, they're not getting the airplay they deserve on Belgian radio. 

Dour just made their announcement. Didn't see anything I would be sad missing. So good news I guess :)

"Let’s start off with some new names for the dubstep- and drum’n’bass scene. For example: NOISIA, who’ll bring their new show “Outer Edges” to the Last Arena, straight from Holland. Also legendary GOLDIE and fresh findsMODESTEP and TCHAMI.

Hip hop wise, we’ll add some fresh headliners, on top of the already impressive line up. Rising star FRENCH MONTANA, a French duo consisting of KAARIS and KALASH CRIMINEL. Dubstep and dancehall lovers: we give you the king of Jamaican dancehall: POPCAAN.

We spice our colourful cocktail of sound with the Danish TRENTEMØLLER, the Australian RY X, the sublime and intriguing SEVDALIZA, the young French MØME and the English star NAO.

Finally, some new techno headliners: ADAM BEYER, TALE OF US, BLAWAN, KARENN, SAM PAGANINI, MALL GRAB and French rising star DJ AZF."

21 hours ago, Skankhunt42 said:

Must be real difficult working 4 hours in 4 days with hundreds of people to asisst you!!

You're obiviously never been on tour with a (big) band. It is not easy to arrange the logistics when 4 shows in a row and touring with a big crew and production.
Waiting at airports, less sleep, miles and miles on a tourbus, promo / interviews for radio/tv/newspaper... additional acoustic promo showcases, meet and greets,...
It is not just one hour of work per day.

3 hours ago, neacaisa said:

I wouldn't count foals out for this year, we already have a few examples of back to back bookings so let's wait a bit more. I think biffy are almost certain(80% sure, but will probably be announced next week or even later). Foals could easily be barn headliner or main subs(depending on the final placement of alt-j) if the killers or kasabian are not booked. As long as they are not announced for another festival on that weekend, it is still plausible.

Biffy playing gigs in Germany this Thursday and Saturday, but interestingly have a gig in Belgium on Friday? Maybe to coincide with their Werchter announcement?