The state of the ground

Sawdusty surfer

4 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

We usually go in through gate D and follow the steel tracks to The middle/top bit of Dairy (the original Dairy, now Paines if seems) just up from the lock up.  2011 was OK to make this trip so I'm not tooooo scared.  Just a bit worried about the hill up to the gate D maze and the rumours of Dairy being saturated.  Fingers crossed!

This is my main concern really.  That hill up to gate D in 2011 was a nightmare when we arrived and sure someone's said it's took a battering already.  Luckily they've moved the main queue to the left away from the off camber section by the bushes.  Once the car park and that hill have been navigated then the rest of the week shouldn't be too much bother.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, michael eavis' beard said:

This is my main concern really.  That hill up to gate D in 2011 was a nightmare when we arrived and sure someone's said it's took a battering already.  Luckily they've moved the main queue to the left away from the off camber section by the bushes.  Once the car park and that hill have been navigated then the rest of the week shouldn't be too much bother.

But its the top bit of Gate D rather than queue that goes to crap in the Rain I thought? Nightmare !!

Any info on the state of the west car parks and car park entrances would be appreciated. The default plan is to use my daily driver estate car to get there as it takes all the kit easily and is fairly economical. It has lousy ground clearance.

Plan B is an 17 year old Subaru with four wheel drive plus mud & snow tyres. Guzzles fuel though and may not take the trolley.

Any guidance from those arriving tonight and early tomorrow would be appreciated.

22 minutes ago, maclauk said:

Any info on the state of the west car parks and car park entrances would be appreciated. The default plan is to use my daily driver estate car to get there as it takes all the kit easily and is fairly economical. It has lousy ground clearance.

Plan B is an 17 year old Subaru with four wheel drive plus mud & snow tyres. Guzzles fuel though and may not take the trolley.

Any guidance from those arriving tonight and early tomorrow would be appreciated.

I'm wondering the same. I've only got a little old Ford Fiesta. Is this a disaster waiting to happen? Haha...

Just now, LeeGalvin said:

I'm wondering the same. I've only got a little old Ford Fiesta. Is this a disaster waiting to happen? Haha...

I got out the fields in 07 in my old fiesta. You'll be fine as long as ur careful. Have a look at how to drive in mud if you haven't done it before. Take some card bored or bits of wood if you can fit them in for under the tires. 

14 minutes ago, funkyuk said:

The carparks should be fine.  It's all metal tracks except where you pull off in lines to park.  And there, there will have been no traffic to churn up the grass

the reports from the fields at the top of the hills - the car parks are at the bottom - is that as soon as you drive off the tracks you sink into the ground.

It sounds bad.

Edited by eFestivals

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

the reports from the fields at the top of the hills - the car parks are at the bottom - is that as soon as you drive off the tracks you sink into the ground.

It sounds bad.

Some car parks will churn up badly especially when those who are not sure on how to drive on wet grass arrive and spin their wheels.

Hopefully the majority will keep their sensible heads on til after they have parked up and got their tents set up.

It is going to be hard work on site but hell it is going to be worth that work.

7 minutes ago, Anderson19 said:

What are the basic tips for driving in mud whilst sinking then? Or getting out once stuck?

Gentle on the clutch and gas and use both to rock the car back and forth if you get stuck.

Once moving keep moving slowly and in a low gear (1st or 2nd only) and avoid heavy breaking and fast acceleration.

Same as driving in the snow really.

1 minute ago, Redwinevino said:

I wish I was :(

It's got me really down thinking the weather is going to be a nightmare

Kinds of weather in descending order of amazingness:

-Nice Glastonbury weather
-Poo Glastonbury weather
-All other kinds of weather in all other locations

Sooooooo there :P:D