NOS ALIVE 2016

Richi1988

Just now, jparx said:

In fairness, they played all sorts of classics in Amsterdam too. If they are willing to delve so heavily into their back catalogue for gigs aimed at their most hardcore fans, they will definitely do it at festival shows!

Amsterdam night 1 not so much, except My Iron Lung, I guess. I hope they throw out some great classics too, I'm just not getting my hopes up, so I won't be disappointed. But I will enjoy the concert anyway, since I love their new album and most songs are great when played live. They are a great live band.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Mirror said:

Don't get those hopes up for a greatest hits concerts, they don't usually don't do crowd pleasers, even at festivals. Last night in Paris something different happened, maybe it was because it was Phil's birthday or something. They also had Just as an alternative to Creep (that would be awesome, they are probably playing it today).

But they really like Portugal, and last time they were at NOS alive they played 4 songs from OK Computer (Exit Music, Paranoid Android, Climbing up the Walls and Lucky), which was something rare in the TKOL tour. 

There was an interrogation point right next to "Just", and the lightshow was synchronized with Creep so I think it was premeditated. But yeah I think we can expect at least one or two "surprises", and that'll be enough for me, + the new album :)

Hiya all,

is anyone from the UK going to NOS alone? I was going with a friend who has dropped out, i've already bought flights so not sure whether to still go! Never been to a festival outside of England before so I'm a bit wary!

28 minutes ago, Richi1988 said:

Managed to extend the holiday so I have a couple of days before the festival now. Where are the best beaches? And also what's the main part of Lisbon with bars/nightlife ect that's easily accessible by train. 

Cascais has a nice little beach and essy to get to on the train. Bairro Alto is the best part of the city for bars so Im told - at least I hope so since that's where im staying!

1 hour ago, kaytee... said:

Cascais has a nice little beach and essy to get to on the train. Bairro Alto is the best part of the city for bars so Im told - at least I hope so since that's where im staying!

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I'll second that, Cascais is a wonderful little place, well worth the train ride if you get chance.

Cheers guys, thanks for your help.

On 5/24/2016 at 3:03 PM, Mirror said:

Don't get those hopes up for a greatest hits concerts, they don't usually don't do crowd pleasers, even at festivals. Last night in Paris something different happened, maybe it was because it was Phil's birthday or something. They also had Just as an alternative to Creep (that would be awesome, they are probably playing it today).

But they really like Portugal, and last time they were at NOS alive they played 4 songs from OK Computer (Exit Music, Paranoid Android, Climbing up the Walls and Lucky), which was something rare in the TKOL tour. 

I would take Just over Creep every time. By the way I was at the second night in Amsterdam and it was fantastic. Thom's voice was strong and the band was tight.

I wouldn't expect a greatest hits set either. I was at the first night in Amsterdam and 17 of 24 songs were from the last 3 albums. They were in great form though, especially considering it was their first live performance in 2.5 years and a lot of AMSP songs were played live for the first time... Here's the songs per album:

0x Pablo Honey
1x The Bends
1x OK Computer
2x Kid A
1x Amnesiac
2x Hail to the Thief
4x In Rainbows
3x King of Limbs (+ The Daily Mail)
9x A Moon Shaped Pool

Edited by visdave34

12 hours ago, annaellis said:

Hiya all,

is anyone from the UK going to NOS alone? I was going with a friend who has dropped out, i've already bought flights so not sure whether to still go! Never been to a festival outside of England before so I'm a bit wary!

Hello!

I've gathered a few people going alone, if you are interested :)

https://www.facebook.com/events/1502807513358887/

19 hours ago, wedgie said:

There's still only 4 acts on the main stage on Friday, could it be that they're just having 4 so Radiohead can have a 2.5 hour slot and tame impala and foals can have 75 mins each? Maybe even 90 for tame impala

Bloody hope so!

7 hours ago, visdave34 said:

I wouldn't expect a greatest hits set either. I was at the first night in Amsterdam and 17 of 24 songs were from the last 3 albums. They were in great form though, especially considering it was their first live performance in 2.5 years and a lot of AMSP songs were played live for the first time... Here's the songs per album:

0x Pablo Honey
1x The Bends
1x OK Computer
2x Kid A
1x Amnesiac
2x Hail to the Thief
4x In Rainbows
3x King of Limbs (+ The Daily Mail)
9x A Moon Shaped Pool

Considering they have played Creep (with Just listed on the setlist), My Iron Lung, Talk Show Host, Karma Police, No Surprises, Paranoid Android, Climbing up the Walls, Lucky and Airbag on the current tour, I'd say a career spanning 'Greatest Hits' (of sorts) set list entirely possible at festivals.

Well, Radiohead are known for taking along a ridiculous amount of songs on their tours, changing setlists on a daily basis. That doesn't make a greatest hits set more plausible. Don't get me wrong, I hope they will play greatest hits sets on festivals this year and I didn't say it's not possible, it just doesn't seem very likely. Don't think they ever did actually...

First time going to a festival outside the UK this year with NOS. Never been to Lisbon either, but i'm feeling this could turn into an annual thing, after looking at line-ups gone past, i only think one or two line-ups i wouldn't have been over the moon with. So my question is, did anyone buy a hotel package with the weekend ticket? How much did it cost you for the hotel, festival ticket and flights? 

On 26/05/2016 at 4:46 PM, visdave34 said:

Well, Radiohead are known for taking along a ridiculous amount of songs on their tours, changing setlists on a daily basis. That doesn't make a greatest hits set more plausible. Don't get me wrong, I hope they will play greatest hits sets on festivals this year and I didn't say it's not possible, it just doesn't seem very likely. Don't think they ever did actually...

Reading 2009?

And by greatest hits I don't mean exclusively playing songs from The Bends and Ok Computer or just the singles.

More like 4-5 new tracks and 1-2 from TKOL then 3 from each of In Rainbows, HTTT, Kid A, OKC and Bends (+ 1-2 out of Amnesiac, bides and maybe Creep). Something along those lines. 

The set from London last night is more along the lines of what I was thinking. 

13 minutes ago, jparx said:

Reading 2009?

And by greatest hits I don't mean exclusively playing songs from The Bends and Ok Computer or just the singles.

More like 4-5 new tracks and 1-2 from TKOL then 3 from each of In Rainbows, HTTT, Kid A, OKC and Bends (+ 1-2 out of Amnesiac, bides and maybe Creep). Something along those lines. 

The set from London last night is more along the lines of what I was thinking. 

I wouldn't mind if they did Blow Out or Creep from Pablo Honey and say Pyramid Song, You and Whose Army? or Like Spinning Plates from Amnesiac as well to cover all eras. Those LPs have been ignored on a lot of their recent shows.

Or I Might Be Wrong from Amnesiac... Or Knives Out... God, do they have a ridiculously good back catalogue. Makes me think of making my ideal setlist. Will get back on that one day!

If anyone has a problem with this becoming the Radiohead topic, please say so. I'll stop yapping... ;-)

On 27/05/2016 at 8:33 PM, Noeliam said:

Oh I think we should continue! What's your top 5 songs from Radiohead?

I didn't really listen to everything but I'd go with:

Paranoid Android
Decks Dark
Jigsaw
Reckoner
Identikit

It could change tomorrow though.

Oh good lord this is a big question. I'll give it my best for my Top 5 currently, but like you, it could easily change.

In no particular order:

How to Disappear Completely 

Pyramid Song

Nude

Lucky

Talk Show Host