crazyguy

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Louis1 said:

Got in just before lunchtime on Friday and my band number is 36059. It may be slightly more than 30,000 but it's not far off it.

The number on the bands would only represent the campers. Add on day tickets and there will be many more. 

If I was to take a stab at what I reckon the attendance was realistically I'd say 

Friday & Sunday: 50 - 55,000

Saturday: 65 - 70,000

Obviously these figures are still very disappointing for the festival. The 'official' attendance last year was recorded as 

Friday 73,000

Saturday 84,000

Sunday 80,000

If the numbers from last year had dropped to as low as 30,000 that would be truly astonishing. 

Edited by Paulk2904

3 hours ago, Paulk2904 said:

I find 30,000 very hard to believe. No doubt it is down alot on previous years and I've heard from a friend that Friday and Sunday were the quietest he had ever seen T, he did mention Saturday was busy as well as the campsite. 

If it was down as much as 30,000 the fest might not even have went ahead such would the losses that DF would make. 

I was only there on Friday but I'd guess there were a good bit more than 30,000 on site and Saturday is traditionally the day they shift the most day tickets I think.

As I've said already, we saw no trouble and I will be back next year if there is enough on the lineup for me which I'd guess there will be.

I wouldn't camp now but that's cause I'm Way too old.

First time at the new site. Loved it but it won't ever handle a rainy weekend. 

11 minutes ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

I was only there on Friday but I'd guess there were a good bit more than 30,000 on site and Saturday is traditionally the day they shift the most day tickets I think.

As I've said already, we saw no trouble and I will be back next year if there is enough on the lineup for me which I'd guess there will be.

I wouldn't camp now but that's cause I'm Way too old.

First time at the new site. Loved it but it won't ever handle a rainy weekend. 

Am 42 mate and most people in pink moon camping were older,had a ball.

Went on a day ticket on Saturday with my 15 year old daughter and her friend. Justified the tickets for Calvin Harris and enjoyed other stuff like VANT in T break and a number of sessions in the slam etc. The shadow puppets were weird and had good rap with Tinie.

The organising seemed ok. Landed by a straight forward journey to the east car park, had a straight forward journey there and back. In fact, I was amazed at the lack of people on the road or going in. We arrived at around midday and expected crowds. Two years ago we were in a queue for about an hour at the same time before getting in. This time, no one. It would be interesting to know how many day tickets were sold compared to camping. I got the impression that day tickets were only turning up for the acts in the evening given how deserted the place was in the early afternoon.

This seemed like a sad reflection of Balado. I camped a number of times in Balado over the last 10 years but the campsites we walked through seemed so austere and the same has to be said of the, so called, campsite village.

Haven't weekend camped for the last 5 years mainly because the bands didn't appeal

Where did it go wrong.? I know the music changed, I never believed that acts like Rehanna would ever appear but was that it, the change in music? I suspect that it was, my reasoning for paying the money is the music and I enjoyed everything that goes along with it, the banter, the randoms etc. I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way. So, it seems as if DF made a huge gamble on changing the music for some commercial reason and totally screwed up. But, I hope that T keeps going and improves as a festival is special. It's not like going to see a band in the hydro or wherever , it's such more of a rounded and extended experience that I hope DF sort out (or any other outfit that can compete) 

Edited by wideeyedboy

Don't think anyone is gleefully hoping it dies. It's a forum where people who over the years have had some fantastic times there are expressing their opinions and I hope DF realise their strategy isn't working. The festival needs a revamp and something done to attract more people back.  Sadly it's now viewed as a weekend away for kids getting totally wasted 

Edited by Red Day
Change

I only went on the Saturday this year after last years traffic chaos.

The walk from PUDO was horrendous. We had booked a return taxi from Perth which worked out cheaper than the buses. We thought £22 return was expensive for the bus but in hindsight I would of paid extra to avoid that awful walk. The PUDO area was a nightmare on Sat night, cars wheel spinning in the mud and massive tailbacks, tractors trying to pull cars free. The staff had serious attitude and to be honest I just don't think they were briefed enough on the site and didn't know what they were doing. Our taxi hadn't made it into the PUDO area so we walked along the queue of traffic to find it. Actually worked in our favour as I think if it had actually got there we would of gotten stuck.

We under-estimated the distance to King Tut's and as a result missed the start of Shed Seven. When we asked staff how to get to King Tut's we were met with a shrug of the shoulders.

Considering the amount of folk that only go for the campsite and Slam Tent they could of just put the Slam Tent where King Tut's was and kept the neds to one area.

All in all I think the layout worked better than last year. I enjoyed the bands & acts I did see but to be honest it would have to be a stellar line up to make me want to go again. Then again at 35 I'm probably not the age demographic they are aiming for and should just accept that maybe I'm just too old for Tin the Park.

I really do think that they have to accept that the Strathallan site is just not equipped to cope with the traffic problems.

i went from -Thursday - Monday Camping.

got the bus from aberdeen and had no bother getting there, no traffic, however theres another bus coming in right after you so have to be quick getting out of the bus stops.

there was a huge bottleneck, where there was a walk trhough the trees and they were maybe letting 50-60 people through at a time meanwhile bus load was getting piled in behind us.

finally got through (apparently there was a huge rammy at the other side, we had to wait at a standstill for over an hour before moving again)

got through security and wristbands alright, not one bag i seen was searched, just patted down.

camped in green/border with blue was alright, few wee roasters camping next to us but we had big crowd anyway so was okay.

walk to arena either way was horrendous, all hills and when the rain kicked in was bogs everywhere.

arena it'self was layed out well, didn't think there was much choice food wise in the arena or campsite.

i got picked up on monday and the walk to the PUDO was ridic. thankfully they put on a bus after you left the site at yellow camping, but actually getting there was a hassle.

enjoyed the weekend and the bands but the wee fannies going about ruined it for me.

unless the line-up next year is something i cannot miss, i doubt i will be going back. the campsite for me (apart from a few acts) was my highlight (no, i wasn't on drugs and no i'm not 18) just the laugh had with pals and the shite we were speaking was great.

i was lying in my tent on sunday night wondering what had happened, wishing i was back at T 2010/2011 even 2014!

i was 17 when i started going to T and if i was ever like one of the 17/18 year olds going about their now i am ashamed.

Unless the Acts next year pick up then i doubt i will be back to T and will end up going on holiday somewhere sunnier instead. not something i thought i would ever say but it makes me sad what T used to be and what it is now :(

This is a better view of the crowd at LCD. But fair play to the band, they still looked like they were having fun and seemed genuinely appreciative of the crowd that was there. They were the highlight for me, just felt bad for them.

I didn't see any trouble during the weekend and my only gripe was the size of the crowd for some bands. Rodrigo Y Gabriella was another really small one. Layout was much improved. I had a great weekend with my friends and I'll be back next year for my 13th year camping

image.jpeg

11 hours ago, Red Day said:

Don't think anyone is gleefully hoping it dies. It's a forum where people who over the years have had some fantastic times there are expressing their opinions and I hope DF realise their strategy isn't working. The festival needs a revamp and something done to attract more people back.  Sadly it's now viewed as a weekend away for kids getting totally wasted 

Agreed. Not speaking out for fear of losing the festival is worse than protesting about its faults, and the direction the organisers are taking it.

T in the Park organisers seem to think they are invincible. Yet they only have to look to their closest relation, the Irish festival Oxegen (who T used to share acts with over the same weekend), to see how it can all end.

I was at Oxegen in 2006 and it had an identical feel and similar line up to T. Oxegen was cancelled in 2014 never to return stating there were no worthy acts around to have as headliners. In the years leading up to this Oxegen was also getting a bad reputation for trouble, mainly in the campsite. In 2006 there were reports of 2 rapes and also stabbings.

Oxegen wasn't held in 2012, and came back in 2013 with no guitar bands on the bill at all. Ticket sales apparently were poor and the organisers were heavily criticised.

I don't understand why they can't see that strathallan isn't working.

It would be like the rebirth of titp if it moved to balado or a more central site and had a top drawer line up.

Loved when we could look forward to Arcadia or palm stage at balado even the silent disco after the stages shut down,now...zip.

Just read through all the comments, sounds like you lot are awful grumpy.

My 8th year on the trot and it was much better than last year. The walk from PUDO was hellish but made sitting down to the first can feel much more deserved, but who the hell decided adding a bridge with stairs either side was a good idea?. They did say bus is best though.

Finally figured out why Balado was better, one hill in the whole venue! But layout was much more spacious this year, hats off the to the organisers they got that right this year.

Line up I thought was fairly decent and you lot should really check in on what the youth listens to these days, after all they are majority attendees at T I believe. 

RHCP and Diplo clashing with LCD, not even surprised by that crowd size, considering who the demographics are at T.

All these images/videos you see of T are nothing new, you think fighting hasn't occurred at every T since it began? It's just more easier to access images/videos of what it's like these days, and people get a hard on for bashing the youth who are apparently ruining "their" festival.

Jog on I say, T in the park is my favourite weekend of the year, and it's not because of the acts, it's the banter you and your pals have over the weekend that makes it.

2 minutes ago, Matthew McNally said:

Just read through all the comments, sounds like you lot are awful grumpy.

My 8th year on the trot and it was much better than last year. The walk from PUDO was hellish but made sitting down to the first can feel much more deserved, but who the hell decided adding a bridge with stairs either side was a good idea?. They did say bus is best though.

Finally figured out why Balado was better, one hill in the whole venue! But layout was much more spacious this year, hats off the to the organisers they got that right this year.

Line up I thought was fairly decent and you lot should really check in on what the youth listens to these days, after all they are majority attendees at T I believe. 

RHCP and Diplo clashing with LCD, not even surprised by that crowd size, considering who the demographics are at T.

All these images/videos you see of T are nothing new, you think fighting hasn't occurred at every T since it began? It's just more easier to access images/videos of what it's like these days, and people get a hard on for bashing the youth who are apparently ruining "their" festival.

Jog on I say, T in the park is my favourite weekend of the year, and it's not because of the acts, it's the banter you and your pals have over the weekend that makes it.

Maybe it's because we all can see the diffrence between balado and strathallan.

Ive actually no complaints about the line up cause there was enough to keep me going and I know there's a audience for edm djs,doesn't mean they should be on the main stage though.

You shouldn't have to walk that far to get picked on day tickets or to your tent at any festival things like that put people right off.

I know we keep talking about it, but does anyone know if its actually possible for T to move back to Balado?

Had a cracker of a weekend myself, much better than last year, but it doesnt matter what they do to that site its never going to compare to the magic of Balado.

I used to camp in Purple and if you wanted to go see a band it was literally a 10 minute walk, no hills, you werent fucked when you came back. This year i went to see Stiff Little Fingers and by the time i was back at the campsite it was time for TLSP and i just couldnt be bothered. Never before has T been hard work until it moved to Strathallan.

I hate to complain becuase i do love T and likely will go back next year as there is always loads of us and its the best laugh of the year, but when i think of my first year(2013) The lineup was quite bad now i think of it but there was a certain magic there. You never felt unsafe, if something went wrong there were always stewards around and they were all well informed and happy to help. Not the case anymore.

For T to solve its problems they need to go back to basics. New site, more bands to get rid of the fannies and better organisation. Fact is though, imo, they wont. Becuase every year people, like myself, will still buy a ticket and T will be happy to keep it at that dreadful place.

If it does keep going this way though i reckon next year will be my last. It may be a cracking laugh and all that and hard to miss out on but at the end of the day theres plenty other festivals out there. I found the people i met this year to be far more friendly than last but judging by videos etc i must have gotten very lucky, especially since i was camping in Green.

As much as i love the laughs and seeing alot of my favourite bands, i cant deny its starting to feel less and less like T. Would do anything for them to go back to Balado.

3 hours ago, Lochy96 said:

I know we keep talking about it, but does anyone know if its actually possible for T to move back to Balado?

Had a cracker of a weekend myself, much better than last year, but it doesnt matter what they do to that site its never going to compare to the magic of Balado.

I used to camp in Purple and if you wanted to go see a band it was literally a 10 minute walk, no hills, you werent fucked when you came back. This year i went to see Stiff Little Fingers and by the time i was back at the campsite it was time for TLSP and i just couldnt be bothered. Never before has T been hard work until it moved to Strathallan.

I hate to complain becuase i do love T and likely will go back next year as there is always loads of us and its the best laugh of the year, but when i think of my first year(2013) The lineup was quite bad now i think of it but there was a certain magic there. You never felt unsafe, if something went wrong there were always stewards around and they were all well informed and happy to help. Not the case anymore.

For T to solve its problems they need to go back to basics. New site, more bands to get rid of the fannies and better organisation. Fact is though, imo, they wont. Becuase every year people, like myself, will still buy a ticket and T will be happy to keep it at that dreadful place.

If it does keep going this way though i reckon next year will be my last. It may be a cracking laugh and all that and hard to miss out on but at the end of the day theres plenty other festivals out there. I found the people i met this year to be far more friendly than last but judging by videos etc i must have gotten very lucky, especially since i was camping in Green.

As much as i love the laughs and seeing alot of my favourite bands, i cant deny its starting to feel less and less like T. Would do anything for them to go back to Balado.

Apparently they were forced to leave Balado by the Health and Safety Exec so I would be doubtful that they could go back on their decision. I don't know exactly where the pipeline is that was the cause for concern. Would they be able to rearrange the festival so it avoids it? Surely this may have been brought into consideration at the time?

I was chatting to a local and he was under the impression that someone's pockets are being seriously lined to have it at Strathallan, which is why they are determined to make it work. As long as people are buying tickets and they're making money I cant see it going anywhere else which is a shame. I just don't think Strathallan works. The PR machine is in overdrive to try and show what a success it was compared to last year. Granted the traffic may have improved but I wouldn't exactly call it ideal.

Edited by Tequilamockingbird
spelling!

1 hour ago, Tequilamockingbird said:

Apparently they were forced to leave Balado by the Health and Safety Exec so I would be doubtful that they could go back on their decision. I don't know exactly where the pipeline is that was the cause for concern. Would they be able to rearrange the festival so it avoids it? Surely this may have been brought into consideration at the time?

I was chatting to a local and he was under the impression that someone's pockets are being seriously lined to have it at Strathallan, which is why they are determined to make it work. As long as people are buying tickets and they're making money I cant see it going anywhere else which is a shame. I just don't think Strathallan works. The PR machine is in overdrive to try and show what a success it was compared to last year. Granted the traffic may have improved but I wouldn't exactly call it ideal.

Ive always thought they may have not put up much of a fight as they thought moving site might reel in more punters again, and it backfired bigtime. Could be wrong though.

Agree that someones pockets are definetly getting lined because they just cant seem to admit its not working. Wish they would just adress the problem and sort it out and stop trying to keep their heads down for a year and hope it all works out. They may have sorted a few things out this year but its not hard to see that theres only so much you can do to a place like that. Completely unsuitable for any festival nevermind T.

There's a council submission somewhere on the internet with 14 different locations forwarded to potentially host the place. Out of all those that were looked at, Strathallan came 12th or 11th and didn't have anywhere near a positive review. It was definitely put there for money saving reasons.

Edited by Louis1

I heard a while back, can't remember who from, that the real reason they moved away from Balado was because it was a prime location for fracking. I've absolutely no idea if this is true or not just thought I would mention it. 

I don't really by the Health and Safety party line as to reason the festival was moved from Balado. The pipeline had been there long before the festival and was never a reason for moving. Definitely other reasons behind it I think.

2 hours ago, Louis1 said:

There's a council submission somewhere on the internet with 14 different locations forwarded to potentially host the place. Out of all those that were looked at, Strathallan came 12th or 11th and didn't have anywhere near a positive review. It was definitely put there for money saving reasons.

That's shocking.

Maybe they will come to there senses and get a better site so they would shift 1000s more tickets.

I've been for a number of years but this was the first time at Strathallan. 

Hated the lay out, crowds were small, loads more wee neds. The line up was really rubbish, wouldn't have gone if it wasn't as a celebration for someone's birthday. On the plus side, there was a very visible police presence in the arena.

At Ballado you could easily get your bearings, took me ages to figure out where things were. The walk from main/radio 1 stage to King Tuts was huge.

We always visit the the same food vendor and she told us this had been their worst year, they hadn't even made back what they had paid out for the pitch and that its not about locals anymore it's all franchised out to the cheapest bidders by big London firms. Sad 

Also told that the guy at the castle needs the money to fix it up. Could be a lie but what better way to easily  earn some cash to prop up your pile?!

Edited by SconeyB
Thoughts

10 hours ago, Louis1 said:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/221862/response/583288/attach/html/3/2011 Study.pdf.html

Found it. I agree that it's ridiculous but it'll end up costing them more in the long run.

Interesting link. Seems so odd that they ended up going for Strathallan with was 12 out of 14?

The 1st choice sounds much more ideal, anyone know why they didn't go for that?

16 minutes ago, Tequilamockingbird said:

Interesting link. Seems so odd that they ended up going for Strathallan with was 12 out of 14?

The 1st choice sounds much more ideal, anyone know why they didn't go for that?

The list only shows sites within the area which may be suitable, it doesn't mean the land owners of those sites would be willing to allow the festival to be held on their land. If deals couldn't be agreed with land owners of the most preferable sites and/or Strathallan offered DF a better deal than other land owners then that might be why we find the festival at Strathallan as opposed to any of the more desirable locations.