Your best reggae/ska recommendation?

Crystal Waters

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love reggae.

Going slightly off topic: I saw Lee Scratch Perry at the Band on the Wall, Manchester recently. Loved his set at The Glade a few years back.

Anyway, during this recent gig, a couple of numbers in, he brought onto the stage his travel bag, and whilst trying to sing, kept rummaging around in the bag. As I was at the front, I could see the bag was full of a load of junk. Eventually he found this crumpled set list which he put on the floor. I'm pretty sure he only stuck to about 50% of it, and nothing was in the right order. The travel bag stayed on stage as a bizarre prop, and was brought back on for the encore. It had an airline tag on it, so maybe nothing too risky in it!

I know (unless it fell thru at the last moment) for certain there's a reggae act to be announced for West Holts - tho I have no idea who it is.

For some reason my head is telling me it'll be Winston Rodney, so I'm keeping my fingers firmly crossed that it is (tho it's probably wrong).

I'd love that although I remember seeing him at the Cheese and Grain in Frome on what was supposed to be his 'last ever tour' and that must have been ten years ago.

Black Uhuru seem to have the 29th June free

Best reggae/ska recommendation? Go to Boomtown!

Failing that, just turn up at "The Blues" or "The Gully" and get skanking to whatever's coming your way. I spent a lot of time at The Blues last year (and the year before) - used it as a meeting point and kept staying to hear a bit more.

Edited by jimmyt

Failing that, just turn up at "The Blues" or "The Gully" and get skanking to whatever's coming your way. I spent a lot of time at The Blues last year (and the year before) - used it as a meeting point and kept staying to hear a bit more.

I didn't go last year, were they stopping people smoking fragrant ciggies again?

I didn't go last year, were they stopping people smoking fragrant ciggies again?

Once through the gates, I haven't really seen many problems the last couple of years, except where people are being stoopid and literally blowing smoke in the faces of security.

+1

Bloody love Boomtown. Going again this year, the Lion's Den/Trenchtown in general really made me grow towards Reggae/Jungle etc. The Blues is a cracking stage as well, The Cave is great too if with sometimes annoyingly long queues.

Yep, The Gully is a great little stage, I had a wonderful Sunday night there a few years back watching Dreadzone and then The Congos. Also caught Holly Clarke do a set the same weekend, which was really rather pleasant. Regards smoking, come sun-down things seem to be fine, during the day just be discrete ie; don't make it so obvious that they are forced to have a word...

I love BU, but what tours isn't really them. Duckie Simpson is the only original, and he's on stage for about 5 minites total. ;)

But anyway, I'm not sure Michael and Emily would extend the festival by a day, not even for Black Uhuru. :P

Oops - My brain was a bit scrambled yesterday afternoon after all the secret resale excitement. Anyway ticket now purchased!!

• 2 weeks later...

looks like you might be right after all tjamest - and I'm not sure why I didn't spot it earlier.

It's taken a PR for Black Uhuru to go past my eyes today to wake me up to the fact that they're in the UK for a few shows in late June, when having already been announced for Boomtown in August.

As they're not a band in huge demand nowadays, making another visit to the UK during the summer will be for more than just those 3 gig dates I think, so I reckon they're going to be the West Holts reggae act.

That reminded me to check the Boomtown thread and so I got to enjoy your excellent Marley Duo vid. Why don't the Marley boys appear at Glastonbury more often? We kind of had one year of quite a bit of them and nothing since. I know we had The Wailers last year but Bob's boys have so much more to offer than just (excellent) covers of their dad's stuff.

I originally thought they were only free on the 29th and as you rightly pointed out that was the day after Glastonbury!

http://www.bandsintown.com/BlackUhuru?came_from=193

Looking at the link they are meant to be France for that weekend, but that does seem to be for the same festival and I can't really see them being booked to play all three days.

Also, is there going to be an Efests meet at BTF this year? Are you going again, Neil? Got there late last year so still haven't made it to a meeting anywhere but would like to!

I'm definitely going - I'm not going to miss Stephen Marley - tho I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing at the mo, I might just dip-in for that.