Questions that you don't feel deserve their own thread

klipper

Ok, some of this is knowledge and some of it is filling in the blanks but..

The labourers will be working to plans. The festival does produce quite detailed maps of what goes where, and bear in mind the fence line (and locations of gates etc) does change in places from year to year. Most (if not all) of the fence has no permanent remnants, the only sign of it in 6 months time will be the gaps in fences / hedges etc and the wear and tear on the land.

I don't believe it goes to tender, at least not on a regular basis. The fence (and much of the infrastructure both outside and inside it) is supplied by Eve Trakway and has been since before the "Super Fence" was introduced in 2002. Most of the major contracts the festival sign tend to run for 4 festivals / 5 years (ie they get renegotiated in the fallow year) so I guess there's a tender of sorts put out then.

Aside from the Pyramid, the various tents and marquees go all over the place. Serious Stages own a lot of the major outdoor venues, on their site you can see for example the Park Stage doubling as the WOMAD Main Stage. Not sure who provides the tents but the same will be true.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I just want to add to the above..

In the case of both Eve Trakway and Serious Stages, who between them provide a hell of a lot of the infrastructure, part of the reason the festival has been working with them for so long is that a lot of their products have pretty much grown out of Glastonbury, and just as they rely on the Festival for business the Festival relies on them as being able to meet its quite extensive needs, which is why the relationships are likely to continue for the foreseeable future.

Eve Trakway developed the fence "Super Fortress" as a new (or at least, noticeably enhanced) product for the Festival in 2002 after the failure of the previous model. Not sure if anyone else offers quite as extensive a product that's available on the same scale.

Serious Stages quite literally wouldn't exist without the Festival, they pretty much started as a local farmer helping out his neighbour and expanded this into a world leader in their market. Until about 5(ish) years ago their HQ was about 3 miles away from the Festival site, and they used to test new structures on Worthy Farm leading to much speculation on efestivals - such as why there was a new bridge behind the Pyramid that seemed to serve no real purpose.

As for the Tents - google for "big top hire", you'll see many familiar tents in unfamiliar locations. Looks like the festival sources from a few different companies.

Edited by incident

One thing I just want to add to the above..

In the case of both Eve Trakway and Serious Stages, who between them provide a hell of a lot of the infrastructure, part of the reason the festival has been working with them for so long is that a lot of their products have pretty much grown out of Glastonbury, and just as they rely on the Festival for business the Festival relies on them as being able to meet its quite extensive needs, which is why the relationships are likely to continue for the foreseeable future.

Eve Trakway developed the fence "Super Fortress" as a new (or at least, noticeably enhanced) product for the Festival in 2002 after the failure of the previous model. Not sure if anyone else offers quite as extensive a product that's available on the same scale.

Serious Stages quite literally wouldn't exist without the Festival, they pretty much started as a local farmer helping out his neighbour and expanded this into a world leader in their market. Until about 5(ish) years ago their HQ was about 3 miles away from the Festival site, and they used to test new structures on Worthy Farm leading to much speculation on efestivals - such as why there was a new bridge behind the Pyramid that seemed to serve no real purpose.

As for the Tents - google for "big top hire", you'll see many familiar tents in unfamiliar locations. Looks like the festival sources from a few different companies.

That's great thanks. Suppose it makes sense hiring in stages and tents etc rather than them sitting in a barn somewhere for the rest of the year.

Continuing on from Incident's informative post about fencing and stages, and another site-wide "mega supplier" is Aggreko for the generators. It's one of their biggest events of the year (but not the most profitable - Michael always gets a good deal out of people :) ). In 2011 the generator count was about 250. At the Pyramid alone, there must be 10 or 20 from my memory.

Like Eve Trakway, Aggreko have their own camp on-site so they can maintain and fix 24x7 - at peak there's around 100 staff there, keeping the festival humming.

In a couple of places, generators have been proven to be impractical. In the central markets, they used to vibrate themselves slowly into the mud, and needed some heavy lift craneage to extract. In places like those, some generator use has been replaced by power run underground, which pops up in distribution cabinets. If you wander the farm out of season, you can spot a few if you look carefully enough (Like a lot of the infrastructure stuff Michael has done, it's discreet - always wanting to keep it looking like a farm, not a show ground).

There's so much more infrastructure stuff I could waffle on about... I find it all as amazing as the event itself. :)

PS GlastoEarth map will be revived before the festival, in case anyone clicks the link below and finds it's broke.

Edited by paulo999

Seen a lot of recommendations for walking boots over wellies, but as someone who already owns wellies and no walking boots (plus doesn't do any hiking or long walks), is it worth me buying a pair when I didn't have trouble last year? Thinking of getting a set of gel insoles for the wellies to add a little comfort to slogging through whatever mud turns up.

Seen a lot of recommendations for walking boots over wellies, but as someone who already owns wellies and no walking boots (plus doesn't do any hiking or long walks), is it worth me buying a pair when I didn't have trouble last year? Thinking of getting a set of gel insoles for the wellies to add a little comfort to slogging through whatever mud turns up.

The past two years I have used wellies (when required). By the end of the day my back was knackered from the constant standing/walking. Not sure if that's to do with the wellies or something that just happens after walking/standing for so long. This year I'm bringing walking boots. They are definitely more comfortable so will see happens.

Anyway, if you didn't have any trouble last year then i shouldn't worry. The only bad thing is if it's a hot day wellies are horrible. Might be worth getting a pair of walking boots to bring along. You can pick up a semi decent pair for £30-40.

If you've not had any problems in the past and wouldn't use them outside the festival then I don't see any point in buying walking boots, you're going to spending a few days in field watching bands not goin mountain tracking.

I must be the only person on this forum that has switche from walking boots to wellies as even with good gortex boots (and gaiters in 07) I ended up with wet feet in 05 & 07.

Just make sure the wellies for well and some decent insoles do help + I always wear two pairs of thiner socks rather than one pair of thick as this eliminates any rubbing.

Hi 2 questions,

Any ideas how to get from Worth View to Castle Cary train station for the 5.00AM train on the Monday?

Also does anyone know how long the bus will take from worth view back to Castle Cary (train station), I know it's traffic dependant but I'm just hoping for a vague idea.

:sarcastic:

Even if you use them just for festivals I would say they are worth it,you will probably find you use them more than you thought ie winter

You get what you pay for though with walking boots,if you can afford them go for Gortex and check out the weight,this makes a hell of a difference.

Hi 2 questions,

Any ideas how to get from Worth View to Castle Cary train station for the 5.00AM train on the Monday?

Also does anyone know how long the bus will take from worth view back to Castle Cary (train station), I know it's traffic dependant but I'm just hoping for a vague idea.

:sarcastic:

i would have thought yourd be able to get a taxi if buses are not running but if you dont have a lot of stuff you could hitch

I have designed a flag for using it to locate our camp (don't worry, I don't want to block your view even more at the stages), and was wondering if anyone knows any way of printing that design onto a flag.

Online services or a shop located in Manchester or Liverpool would be great.Trying to find an excellent easy service within a cheap reasonable price.

Thanks in advance guys! :)

I have designed a flag for using it to locate our camp (don't worry, I don't want to block your view even more at the stages), and was wondering if anyone knows any way of printing that design onto a flag.

Online services or a shop located in Manchester or Liverpool would be great.Trying to find an excellent easy service within a cheap reasonable price.

Another option might be if any of your group are artsy you can get cheap blank flags and paint your own? My OH did this about 7 or 8 years ago and it's still going strong.

Are there card machines at various bars so credit cards can be used in case of emergencies? Money tighter than last year, so wasn't paying attention to any card facilities (other than the on site ATMs). Thanks

there may be but due connection problems it would be wise to use cash.
The verification machines are very fickle so one second it can be fine and then they fail - Bars will try to recharge them overnight but there has been occasions when they run out of charge early so during that period only cash will be accepted.
I know its a pain in the arse but the bars are in the middle of a field.

there may be but due connection problems it would be wise to use cash.

The verification machines are very fickle so one second it can be fine and then they fail - Bars will try to recharge them overnight but there has been occasions when they run out of charge early so during that period only cash will be accepted.

I know its a pain in the arse but the bars are in the middle of a field.

Thanks for your response Glasto Worker. It shouldn't be a problem, just wondered if it's worth taking a credit card. I get paid the last working day of every month, so will not be paid now until the Tuesday after Glasto. Going to be a long month, but worth being short now for a few weeks so I can enjoy myself on ze farm!

Thanks for your response Glasto Worker. It shouldn't be a problem, just wondered if it's worth taking a credit card. I get paid the last working day of every month, so will not be paid now until the Tuesday after Glasto. Going to be a long month, but worth being short now for a few weeks so I can enjoy myself on ze farm!

I know they { the credit card companies } love to claim how simple it is but even in Hyde Park { London } the last time we were there at one point the only way to get the bloody machine to work was standing on a table and holding it to the ceiling - I was all for dragging in a Visa rep as they had a big Hospitality area there but I could not find one of the Visa bosses - so if it can happen in the middle of London it can happen at Glastonbury - although there is some wi-fi at Glastonbury these are no where close to the bars so its just luck if a bar is in a good reception area or not - you will know the bars are busy we don't have time standing on bloody tables so best to use the free ATM's near the farm house { well free for debit cards anyway }
lucky enough I work in a crew bar so we don't bother with cards - its either beer voucher or cash so there is no need to stand on any tables to get a machine to work

Anyone got any idea how long it'll take to get from the other stage to the park on Sunday night at around 10:30? (wondering if I'm going to be able to catch 45 minutes of chems but the majority of Ryan Adams). I know there's that table with predicted times but it surely varies with the timing of walks etc