All under one roof raving...

kudos

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is he mostly DJing it at all his sets then? Thought for his main tour he might include more of his own stuff, especially after doing a DJ set at Wow last year. Assumed this Saturday was a DJ set because it was a Young Turks showcase but was hoping for something a bit different in other performances. Will see what he does at Parklife. Don't mind either way, just it would be nice hearing more of his songs, other than Gosh, Far Nearer, I Know There's Gonna Be etc.

I'm not surprised he is doing a DJ set instead of him playing live, his album isn't even 45 minutes long and not all of the songs would be that great live anyway. I would like to see more of his own stuff in his own set maybe with a couple of remixes but beyond that, a DJ set or the odd TV appearance is as good as it will get from him until he writes more music. Seeing him (hopefully) in October at the Arches so won't be too upset if I can't see him at Glastonbury.

In the meantime if anyone hasn't heard it his Essential Mix with Four Tet a few weeks back is the dogs bollocks. :D

https://soundcloud.com/ibizaclosing-5/four-tet-and-jamie-xx-essential-mix-28-mar-2015

Edited by blackg1000

I'm not surprised he is doing a DJ set instead of him playing live, his album isn't even 45 minutes long and not all of the songs would be that great live anyway. I would like to see more of his own stuff in his own set maybe with a couple of remixes but beyond that, a DJ set or the odd TV appearance is as good as it will get from him until he writes more music. Seeing him (hopefully) in October at the Arches so won't be too upset if I can't see him at Glastonbury.

In the meantime if anyone hasn't heard it his Essential Mix with Four Tet a few weeks back is the dogs bollocks. :D

https://soundcloud.com/ibizaclosing-5/four-tet-and-jamie-xx-essential-mix-28-mar-2015

Yeh I will also be at the arches so won't be seeing him at Glastonbury. I'll be hanging around West Holts.

I'm really confused as to what he's going to be doing at his gigs now. That NME interview says he's uncomfortable playing his own songs on stage, but in this set below (and when I saw him) he dropped quite a lot of his own stuff. Maybe he just means he'll DJ his own stuff but not play it 'live'. Also it's a huge shame because that live version of Loud Places is stunning.

https://www.mixcloud.com/livesetsdjmixes/jamie-xx-live-itunes-festival-2014-london-19-09-2014/

I had expected him to do a live set in the sense that he would use a midi controller and trigger ableton, allow for a certain amount of editing on the fly then, just not with live instrumentation. If it is a DJ set, I would imagine he will basically DJ his own tunes and assorted remixes for the duration of the set - I guess that still allows a certain amount of manipulation through effects and stuff.

I had expected him to do a live set in the sense that he would use a midi controller and trigger ableton, allow for a certain amount of editing on the fly then, just not with live instrumentation. If it is a DJ set, I would imagine he will basically DJ his own tunes and assorted remixes for the duration of the set - I guess that still allows a certain amount of manipulation through effects and stuff.

i doubt it, considering a few days ago he played only "Gosh" at the end of a 90min set, which was otherwise all other people's tracks.

i doubt it, considering a few days ago he played only "Gosh" at the end of a 90min set, which was otherwise all other people's tracks.

Slightly different though, the tour he is doing is in support of a new album and not just a DJ date, assume that was the bombed out church show? In which case I don't think it was part of the same tour cycle as he is now entering - we will find out this weekend anyway once reviews of his St Johns at Hackney shows start to roll in, what he does in that show will basically be what he does through this album promo cycle.

I watched footage of him from the iTunes festival and he played entirely his own stuff, so who know what you're gonna get.

Slightly different though, the tour he is doing is in support of a new album and not just a DJ date, assume that was the bombed out church show? In which case I don't think it was part of the same tour cycle as he is now entering - we will find out this weekend anyway once reviews of his St Johns at Hackney shows start to roll in, what he does in that show will basically be what he does through this album promo cycle.

it was at a festival in Dublin, just billed as Jamie XX. no mention of just a DJ set, but if he's already said that upcoming dates will just be DJ sets, then i doubt it will be much different, considering the week his album is out, he only chose to play 1 song from it...

Parklife and Wildlife festivals this weekend would be what i'd expect the Glastonbury show to be like.

Edited by ghostdancer1

it was at a festival in Dublin, just billed as Jamie XX. no mention of just a DJ set, but if he's already said that upcoming dates will just be DJ sets, then i doubt it will be much different, considering the week his album is out, he only chose to play 1 song from it...

Parklife and Wildlife festivals this weekend would be what i'd expect the Glastonbury show to be like.

I would think a set up at the park quite high up would be closer to a set he would do on a solo tour, be interesting to see the difference between his set at Parklife and the solo show on Friday in London

that's unfortunate. he performed it live with Romy, Oliver and others today:

This all looks and sounds rather nice, but I'm convinced that the backing singers are miming. As is the bloke playing the drum pads on the left hand side.

Edited by windy_miller