The Spice Thread

Uncle Liam

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Where's the recipe thread gone? Search turned up nothing?

as far as I'm aware it's not be deleted.

There might be something going screwy with the search - as I've thought as much at least once lately - but it might also be because you've had the wrong option for what to search within the right of the search box (forums, in this topic. etc), because i'm now thinking that was where i went wrong with my own search failures.

as far as I'm aware it's not be deleted.

There might be something going screwy with the search - as I've thought as much at least once lately - but it might also be because you've had the wrong option for what to search within the right of the search box (forums, in this topic. etc), because i'm now thinking that was where i went wrong with my own search failures.

Yeah we need that back! Its been archived. Here Neil.

Can you do the biz? I've been making American style brekkies recently - sausage patties, grits, biscuits and gravy etc. Really good.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Bump.

So, I'm finally stocked back up. I'm still really struggling to find fresh naga chilli out here, although hot chilli powders aren't that hard to come across and cheap as well. 

A visit to the Spice Shop in London in January and a good raid of various websites has left me with...

Mr Viki's King Naga, Mr Vikki's Hot Coriander Sauce, Mad Dog 357, Blairs Death Sauce, South Dorset Chilli Farm extreme heat, a gift pack containing Dave's Insanity, Total Insanity, Ghost Pepper and Ultimate Insanity Sauce, Chilli Pepper Petes Dragons Blood, Satans Revenge, Evil One Hot Chilli Sauce, Pestilence Sweet Chilli Syrup, Magma Hot Sauce, and The Everlasting Flame. 

The Magma Hot sauce requires shaking. When it settles it's clear and then it's shaken it goes red. Unbelievable. 

I've also got a colleagues wife, who is originally from Eritrea, sourcing me some chilli pwder from there, 

Liam, are you aware of this place in Bristol?

http://www.sweetmart.co.uk/

People travel sometimes hundreds of miles to shop there, and it's fabulous. I'm lucky that it's just round the corner from me, as it's my fav place to buy lunch (at the deli).

I've just checked and it doesn't seem to list the fresh stuff they do on their website, but they definitely do fresh naga's. It might be possible to order some if you phoned them up.

6 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Liam, are you aware of this place in Bristol?

http://www.sweetmart.co.uk/

People travel sometimes hundreds of miles to shop there, and it's fabulous. I'm lucky that it's just round the corner from me, as it's my fav place to buy lunch (at the deli).

I've just checked and it doesn't seem to list the fresh stuff they do on their website, but they definitely do fresh naga's. It might be possible to order some if you phoned them up.

Neil,

I am aware of it and am planning on making a trip into Bristol primarily to go to the shop in August so I can stock up on various things and just have a nosey around. The thing is though, I can generally get what I want and more in Qatar in terms of flavouring spices. There's all kind of stuff and mixes here, and I picked up some epic stuff from Sri Lanka last Friday. I just struggle in terms of pure heat, although that's kind of sorted for now. Although I suppose what we do lack here are more oriental things. 

2 hours ago, Uncle Liam said:

I am aware of it and am planning on making a trip into Bristol primarily to go to the shop in August

Nice one. There's a Thali Cafe (same one as seen at festies) almost next door if you need to eat at the same time.

Make sure you do the chili sauce emporium in St Nicks Market too (I think I posted a link to that previously).

11 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Nice one. There's a Thali Cafe (same one as seen at festies) almost next door if you need to eat at the same time.

Make sure you do the chili sauce emporium in St Nicks Market too (I think I posted a link to that previously).

On it. I'll let you know when I'm heading down if you fancy a spot of lunch. 

Nice 

Anyone know where I can get hold of some fresh 'Kashmiri' chillis, or seed?  I have some recipes which include them, and they seem to be of a particular strain, so I fancy trying to get some, instead of just using my usual ones. Mr Google hasn't shown me any retailers of fresh ones so far. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Uncle Liam said:

There's nothing special about them... just heat. 

But still... Here

Cheers. Now that I've seen the web page, it was the colour that was important to the dish.

Double win - that chilli company's from Wakefield, just down the road, ha ha.

Edited by carlosj

• 4 years later...

I made some hot sauce with a Carolina Reaper. Its, well, hot. Just about as hot as I've tasted but actually has a nice taste to it from the honey, lime, guajillos and garlic in it. .

Might put half a teaspoon in with some franks sauce and butter for Reaper Wings at the weekend.

attachment.php?attachmentid=506034&d=158

Damm, I'm running out of turmeric my favourite spice. I've had two food deliveries in the last few weeks and it is always out of stock. One of my favourite dishes is keema with peas. Get some mince meat, onion, garlic and some chillies, then fry it with it gram masala and turmeric spices, then cook some frozen peas to chuck in the mix.

• 3 months later...