Pre-Pitched tents on site

Guest mikeb

Anyone remember ME saying in some interview somewhere about 'the future' being peeps just turning up and moving into a pre-pitched tent on site rather than bringing their own or words to that effect and wasn't impressed ? Do you kinda dislike the principle any form of 'VIP', paid-for or other off-site camping facilities ? Do you *really* like to camp somewhere popular like Pennards in your own stuff ? Hmmmm ... well you're probably not going to like this then :O

Not sure if this has been posted before but if it has sorry, I can't find any reference to this particular arrangement mentioned anywhere. I've just stumbled across: Camplight Pre-Pitched tents on site via a tweet from GFL.

Excerpts from the website:

Camplight is an independent and secure campsite at an event that has camping. The difference is Camplight provides a TENT ready pitched in a good location, a warm comfy AIR MATRESS already inflated and even a clean SLEEPING BAG if you like.

Camplight has been set up as a solution to the problem of people leaving their tents at events. Camplight clears up our campsite and other parts of the event too! This saves the event organisers money and stops camp equipment filling landfill sites. Camplight basically clears up events as we work

Apart from being the most convenient way to take your heavy camping equipment to your festival, you can now travel easier on foot, by bus or by pedal power!

Whenever you arrive you will not have lost that sought after location with your mates near the action. And showers are still less than a minute away. We also make recycling and composting easy as each camp will be provided with separated rubbish and recycling disposal.

Whether you are a family or a hedonist we accommodate for both by splitting the campsite into two halves, a quieter half and a louder half.

Finally at the end of the festival after a great time, all you need to do is travel safely home, we’ll take it all down for you. And what this means is that we don’t leave festival sites looking like this after every one has gone: [pic of typical abandoned camp]

The Camplight Campsite is on Pennard Hill Campground between the Park, Stone Circle and Arcadia. Its very near the west entrance to the stone circle field.

Edited by mikeb

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, never heard of this before, must be new. I'm sure there will be a market for this for those who are turning up later and want to guarantee themselves a good spot. Surprised they've been allowed to take a bit of Pennards tbh, would be pretty pissed if I'd got there early and found them taking up a load of space.

I'm in two minds about it :P Sure it's a cheaper option for many people who might want pre erected tents and of course it would eventually solve the space issue for some but...

Is it a sign of this sort of thing creeping into the actual site and taking up good spots? Tiered pricing for the best camping spots and pushing the poor to the boundaries?

I'm not sure if I like it basically, while I appreciated the option if your coming by Public Transport especially as it is that bit more affordable :P

Heard it all now. Can't people even manage to put up their own tent anymore without having someone do even that for them! Sounds more like a justification excuse saying that it will help reduce abandoned tents: so presumably to solve this issue we should now all have tents put up that will all look the same and in areas which eventually people will be able to reserve the best of for themselves, their gang etc., presumably for an extra cost. Why not go the whole way and build a fucking hotel on the site for everyone.

Abandoned tents are a problem, yes, but education is the solution, not this. A shit idea from GFL if its theirs, who seem intent these days on letting any third party come in and run their own service, presumably making some profit along the way, though I would hope making a substantial contribution to the Glasto official charities as compensation.

I'm in two minds about it :P Sure it's a cheaper option for many people who might want pre erected tents and of course it would eventually solve the space issue for some but...

Is it a sign of this sort of thing creeping into the actual site and taking up good spots? Tiered pricing for the best camping spots and pushing the poor to the boundaries?

I'm not sure if I like it basically, while I appreciated the option if your coming by Public Transport especially as it is that bit more affordable :P

I am pretty sure that this is not going to happen this year or in the near future, it is probably a bit of wishful thinking on the companys part and a bit of testing the market to see if if would be viable. I believe if the Festival had reserved some of the site camping space for pre erected tents they would have done it for the official Worthy View camping, but if not and this had been arranged with an Independant company that was not part of Glastonbury Festivals ltd it would have been clearly promoted on the GFL website.

Also the bit about the west entrance near the Stone Circle is a bit difficult to believe as I believe this entrance is only for the Worthy View campers.

I am pretty sure that this is not going to happen this year or in the near future, it is probably a bit of wishful thinking on the companys part and a bit of testing the market to see if if would be viable. I believe if the Festival had reserved some of the site camping space for pre erected tents they would have done it for the official Worthy View camping, but if not and this had been arranged with an Independant company that was not part of Glastonbury Festivals ltd it would have been clearly promoted on the GFL website.

Also the bit about the west entrance near the Stone Circle is a bit difficult to believe as I believe this entrance is only for the Worthy View campers.

The more I look at this the more I believe this may be a con. At £70 for a 2 man dome tent when the official GFL Worthy View 2 man dome tents were £200. After the fiasco of the MyHab company going bust a few days before the festival was due to start Iand GFL bailing out those would had lost out, am fairly sure GFL would not give space inside the site for another Independant company especially one that nobody had heard of before..

It might be a good idea to let GFL know about this as I am certain it is a scam.

Edited by gibbin82

The more I look at this the more I believe this may be a con. At £70 for a 2 man dome tent when the official GFL Worthy View 2 man dome tents were £200. After the fiasco of the MyHab company going bust a few days before the festival was due to start Iand GFL bailing out those would had lost out, am fairly sure GFL would not give space inside the site for another Independant company especially one that nobody had heard of before..

Edited by fatyeti24

The other thing is - even if they are legit - they are offering "tents for two" which makes me wonder if they are actually hiring out two-berth tents for a couple?

Because as anyone will tell you, an actual two-man tent is not much nick for two adult-sized people and their gear....

How odd... like others have said, I'd be surprised if this would be allowed, within the boundaries of the main site, at a cheaper price than Worthy View?

I also agree with other comments that in the ideal world, educating the idiots who leave all their crap there would be far preferable to bending over backwards to accommodate & almost encourage their lazy, selfish bastard behaviour - it'd be a shame if GFL are backing this initiative due to a lack of other options to try & combat the issue of site clear-up post-festival... but I can see why it might have to be a last resort :(

It's not really a 'greener' option if they're left in a shit state, and then disposed of & replaced with new for next year either - just a different way of clearing the site I guess, and shifting the responsibility to someone else...

Re-reading the blurb above, it sounds almost like the tipi field experience for the budget camper - how odd.

The Camplight Campsite is on Pennard Hill Campground between the Park, Stone Circle and Arcadia. Its very near the west entrance to the stone circle field.

Looking at the map, this is basically the TiPi field isn't it?I can only presume they are being given a section of this.

I've sent the office a question about this in case, currently about a 72hour turn around on queries.