Keeping it clean... showering at Glasto

Guest lockergr

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I travel by public transport every year and in the past I've brought a collapsible flat-pack bucket (http://www.wackypracticals.com/pack-away-bucket), filled it with water, got into a bikini and washed that way. This year though I'm splashing out a bit and spending £59 to use off-site showers (http://www.thepowderroom.eu/). I hate feeling dirty!

Oh and ladies, there is also dry shampoo which I forgot about. Some are sprays, others powders. They can give you another day without showering when things get greasy. I have this one and love that it is unscented, but it is a powder so it can leave your roots looking a bit white unless you really comb it well.

http://www.elle.com/beauty/hair/best-dry-shampoo#slide-2

My friend with beautiful hair swears by this one: http://www.elle.com/beauty/hair/best-dry-shampoo#slide-3

:good:Haha, some interesting suggestions. Love the idea about hand sanitizer on the baby wipes to kill B.O.!

Sounds like most of you are driving in. Since I am coming from the US and have to fit everything I take into one hiking backpack, things like buckets, bowls, stoves and portable showers are unreachable luxuries. How would I even get water to the camp area? Lifting water is misery. Maybe buying a shower bag there is possible, but are you so busy that there isn't time to think about all this? But thanks for the tip on the no-rinse products. I figured they would not be ideal, but I planned to chase them with a bottle of water. Should work. We shall see. I will just plan on hitting the showers and hope for the best.

Edited by James Bolivar

[quote name="bsolxiv" post="4037711" timestamp="1369830268"

People get a lot of stick for doing this, though me and the other half washed our hair twice each under the taps last time (which felt amazing), and wet wipes for the rest. I never understood why people frown on this so much, whereas filling a 5 gallon portable shower is apparently acceptable?

I remember a disgusted look from someone behind me with said 5 gallon container & pots & pans after I quickly washed hair at tap in 07. It made no difference to the swamp underfoot, I waited my turn just like her and guarantee I was quicker than her, plus use eco shampoo anyway.

I couldn't care less about the frowns, may treat myself to a shower this year if queue not too bad otherwise I'm using tap again.

UnFortunately, the standpipe rules and regulations are not made by you Whisty. In fact I don't think they are even made my Glastonbury Festival, so people can do as they please. As for "waiting for people at the tap"....I've never waited once....come back when there's no queue. There are better things to do.

The frowns and tuts are for pouring more water onto the floor, even if it's already like a swamp adding more water is not going to make it better.

If you want to wash whatever you like, take some water in one of those solar showers or a container and do it elsewhere at your leisure on drier ground :)

The frowns and tuts are for pouring more water onto the floor, even if it's already like a swamp adding more water is not going to make it better.

If you want to wash whatever you like, take some water in one of those solar showers or a container and do it elsewhere at your leisure on drier ground :)

Just saying, when people post things like that here, new people could take it as acceptable or even normal behaviour & therefore exasperating the problem. Whether there are rules & regs or not they're no replacement for common courtesy. Spending 5 minutes at a tap washing hair, armpits, then going on to clean teeth is not really fair on those waiting in the Q to fill a bottle that takes maybe a minute at most, especially if it's hot.

Edited by a williams field pilgrim

My last 2 penneths worth on this subject is this-

Say hypothetically washing at taps was outlawed, the insufficient provision of alternatives/inadequate numbers of showers for the numbers would very quickly become apparent.

This theory that you move the problem elsewhere is fundamentally flawed on a dry year, the campsites would be an absolute mess and then people would moan about that and there would still be a lake at the taps I guarantee from all the other run off

What did everyone do before posh camping and solar showers ? Either at the tap or not at all and many of us don't see the point in not washing out of some pure experience ethos. I'm sure the head honchos would prefer it was limited to the tap area or else this thread just highlights if there were more showers in different places we wouldn't do it at tap. I don't do it to look clean I wash everyday to feel good, it would surprise many to know the volume of people washing at taps it seems here, it's going on everywhere. To chuck water all over the site is ridiculous

Sauna! Ace comment and more people should use this.

If people want to/need to shower then they could use the green peace showers, take a solar shower or a bottle.

I don't really see the harm in people sticking their head under a tap for a quick freshen up, and I certainly wouldn't tut/moan/look disapprovingly, I'd just wait or go back when there was no line up.

There are lots of things as festivals that piss people off. Needless to say, I think people should focus on what doesn't piss them off.

Good idea I'd love one will get the kettle on before bed, I can assure you I am a considerate caring person. I think it's whisty that needs the chill pill he's had a go at me twice now out of nowhere. We can't get on with everyone in life but I feel an unfair assumption has been made about my character