Is it worth travelling from the other side of the world for Glastonbury?

Guest HGavin

I'm from New Zealand, tried to get a ticket last october, failed, considering trying again this Sunday. If I do I'll have to drop 2 grand NZ on flights, plus the ticket, spending money, enough to survive in the UK.. will probably go to between 3 - 4 grand. I have the savings, have been saving for a while for an OE, and I'd be amazingly keen to come, the line-up is great and its probably the best festival in the world... though I don't really know anyone going so will probably be going by myself (maybe a few UK mates but they also haven't confirmed tickets), and this would be my first bit of overseas travel, past going to Australia once when I was 12.

Is it worth it? Or would I be better to save for longer and come over next year, perhaps with a work visa so not only can I see the concert but I can experience living over in your side of the world too.

Or should I throw caution in the world, forget long term plans, and just come over. What do ya reckon?

Or should I stop plague-ing this forum with boring unnecessary posts.

Edited by HGavin

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For 5 days every year, it is the best place in the world, totally worth it any year you want to go.

If you can make more of the trip going next year, that would be a good option.

The thing is, as you have already found out, it can be hard getting a ticket, so you can not bank on getting one next year. I would say try in the resale, if you get one, youll have a great time, if not, try in October for 2014. Hopefully you'll manage to get one and we will all see you doen the farm for a cider.

Personally, I think it is but then I don't have anything like the outlay you describe to get there!

Is there any way you can extend your trip and take in a couple of UK cities either end or something? That would make it more worthwhile to come so far.

I'm thinking of moving abroad when I'm a bit older and fully intend to fly back for Glastonbury. Not as far as NZ mind you but would definitely make the extra effort.

It's my favourite place.

Go, but not JUST for G.

My mate & I are from Southeast Asia, we spent 3 weeks in Europe/UK the first time we attended, well worth it.

We did, however; do as below - and will be doing it again in a few more months :curtsey:

Or should I throw caution in the world, forget long term plans, and just come over. What do ya reckon?

Im going over from Australia for the second time this year, like a previous posted said, for the five days a year it's on, it's the best place in the world. I would try for tickets in the resale for sure. But be warned once you go once, you'll want to go to every one. Good luck mate.

Its very easy to say come,best ever etc if the weathers good,but in all reality would I risk it from the other side of the world,I'm not so sure,the weather can make such a difference and If it pours down,which seems to be happening more and more.

I would say if you're gonna come,come the next year and make it into a bigger trip and do a few festivals.

Another option would be one of the European festivals http://www.sziget.hu/festival_english#.UW_G3qKsiSo

Looks pretty good and the weathers pretty guaranteed

Get a ticket, do it!

It's definitely worth it. I'm flying back from China just for the festival, landing in London Tuesday night, back to Shanghai on Monday evening!

Seems silly, but it's the best opportunity to catch up with virtually everyone I know in under a week! And you can't put a price on spending a week in the shitting down rain grumbling about the music now can you

The other thing is I'd possibly have to bail on a potential cruise ship job as a videographer to go as well... or at least see if they'll hold the job off a few months.

Will probably ask 'em but guessing I'm treading a fine line towards losing that opportunity... been indifferent towards spending 6 months on a boat filming fat rich people (even though the boat goes around Alaska), and totally not indifferent to Glaston, but then again, with the amount of people trying for the resale anyway, what really is the likelyhood of being able to score a ticket?

Try for the resale, if it doesn't work out then your decision is much easier. If it does then I'd definitely go, and try to make an extended trip of it.

As others have said, try to add in an additional festival or two. They won't be like Glastonbury, but still good fun and good music.

And just remember, the funny thing about regret is, it's better to regret something you have done, than to regret something you haven't done.

If money isn't a problem and you can imagine yourself sitting at home in June massively regretting that you didn't get a ticket then why not? Though as others have said, I'd come over for a couple of weeks - few days before to get over jet lag and maybe some time in London etc afterwards.

Best of luck in the resale if you decide to try! Hammer the F5 button from 15 minutes before they go on sale, don't give up and get as many friends trying for you as possible also

tough one. It is definitely up there with some of the best festivals in the world, but some people on these boards are a little a bit obsessive. If I had 3 grand to spend on a trip to the other side of the world I probably wouldn't go to a festival, even if it was as good as glasto, I'd want to go trekking in the Himalayas, road trip across the states, sail somewhere, float down the amazon, that kind of thing. But then I have done glasto loads of times so maybe starting to get an urge to use my money on things I've never done before.The main reason I still go is because of my friends.

You'll have a blast though so yeah, if that's what you want to do you won't be disappointed,