Guest NewGirl

Hi,

This is the first festival I have ever been to - so I am clueless! I'm trying to get an idea of the best place to set up camp... I'm not worried too much about noise etc. but I was just wondering whether anyone can give me some advice re. the best places.

Thanks!

K

Hi,

This is the first festival I have ever been to - so I am clueless! I'm trying to get an idea of the best place to set up camp... I'm not worried too much about noise etc. but I was just wondering whether anyone can give me some advice re. the best places.

Thanks!

K

Hi,

Thanks!

K

Have to agree with glasto-worker here really, I've camped 3 times, in 3 similar but different locations, camper van fields now though. In 2009 we walked, fully laden pretty much form one side of the site to the other, it was baking hot and near killed me. In the course of that walk I walked past acres of empty space yet trudged on so that we could be near to the flushing toilets. Basically, it's not worth it. Particularly as we had to play "tent tetris" to fit ourselves in when we finally found where we wanted to camp.

Better to find somewhere nice to camp (like the pics above) and have another 10-15 minutes walk from your camp to where you want to watch a band, have a brew on the way and enjoy the wander than to yomp across miles of field just to get a bit closer to a stage where you'll watch a few bands.

All that said, when we managed to park at the correct side and get through the right gate, and the walk wasn't too bad, we camped in (bottom) Webbs Ash and it was great, not worth breaking your back for though!

Edited to add map: http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/data/image/map6june11.jpg

Gates clearly marked, see where you will come in from your preferred mode of transport, and read the Glasto Earth/Tort guide for pointers.

Edited by TheNewUnion

Always will be a matter of taste and the sort of music you enjoy.

I think it's worth a trudge to get to an appropriate spot as, after all, you're going to be there for the best part of a week. So it will possibly be two long trudges (one in and one out) versus a whole series of daily trudges, some of which you'll do when not so much encumbered by camping gear but encumbered by too much drink at the end of a long night.

For what it's worth our preference, before we moved on to CV Fields, was Big Ground, up on the hill and to the right of Worthy FM/Radio Avalon. Several reasons: near Flushing Meadows (proper flush toilets that were still clean at the end of the fest), the Radio station mast which was a beacon to guide us home, near a 24 hour cafe, ATM machines and not far from a Police Station, so less chance of tent pilfering. Also an area not prone to flooding and with a good view of the site. A relatively short walk to the Acoustic Tent or The Pyramid but no good if you were more into John Peel/Dance.

So pick your music preference and then your camping spot. Either way get there as early as poss as good spaces run out in all areas.

For what it's worth our preference, before we moved on to CV Fields, was Big Ground, up on the hill and to the right of Worthy FM/Radio Avalon. Several reasons: near Flushing Meadows (proper flush toilets that were still clean at the end of the fest), the Radio station mast which was a beacon to guide us home, near a 24 hour cafe, ATM machines and not far from a Police Station, so less chance of tent pilfering. Also an area not prone to flooding and with a good view of the site. A relatively short walk to the Acoustic Tent or The Pyramid but no good if you were more into John Peel/Dance.

Edited by TheNewUnion