A concern over the Stones

Guest pyramidsong

i don't think i even need to say that the stones are known for guzzling down astronomical fees after every single show they play, or that glastonbury offers the most comprehensive festival experience you could ever want. i'm just wondering whether, if what we hear is true and the stones really are nailed to play, if these two givens can reallllly be reconciled. i mean, there's a possibility that eavis has got so consumed by the idea of booking the all hallowed stones and landing that as this year's totem booking that he'll have signed away other aspects of the festival in order to compensate for the price and balance the books. basically, if the stones play, seeing as ticket prices haven't gone up that considerably, is it gonna mean a reduction in the things away from the main stages that make glastonbury what it is? that's my main worry, mick's relentless hunger for cash coming to the detriment of glastonbury as a whole.

I personally don't think that the Michael or Emily would take money away from other parts of the festival just to keep one act sweet. I'd say it more a chance that the Glasto bookers have said to The Stones "here's the deal, take it or leave it". Glasto doesn't need The Stones and The Stones don't need Glasto so it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

I remember download 2010 , I love acdc but they took the piss a bit the under card quality suffered , they insisted on there own stage which meant we could watch the full show but then it just stood there for 3 days unused which just looked odd and lifeless and also they were not on any download tshirt s you know the ones with the lineup on the back , they had there own separate tshirt s. I don't think that glastonbury need Rolling Stones that much so I'm sure everything will be fiiiiiine. And they will play on the cheap and make the money back in album sales after all the promotion

When they are charging £100 minimum for a ticket and up to £600 for other tickets at their own gigs I'd hope the Stones wouldn't ask for a high fee price.

But I doubt it very much as they are charging that much in the first place.

Edited by beau1

i don't think i even need to say that the stones are known for guzzling down astronomical fees after every single show they play, or that glastonbury offers the most comprehensive festival experience you could ever want. i'm just wondering whether, if what we hear is true and the stones really are nailed to play, if these two givens can reallllly be reconciled. i mean, there's a possibility that eavis has got so consumed by the idea of booking the all hallowed stones and landing that as this year's totem booking that he'll have signed away other aspects of the festival in order to compensate for the price and balance the books. basically, if the stones play, seeing as ticket prices haven't gone up that considerably, is it gonna mean a reduction in the things away from the main stages that make glastonbury what it is? that's my main worry, mick's relentless hunger for cash coming to the detriment of glastonbury as a whole.

I wouldn't expect them to break the bank or their existing pay structure for them, however I think they'd be likely to push very hard and spend a lot of time trying to convince them that it would be worthwhile. While the festival doesn't need The Stones (certainly in the short term, although it would be a good booking to maintain it's reputation as drawing the biggest acts) I think ME's desire to have them will mean that there will be more negotiations other than just "take it or leave it". Both parties will be well aware that this is probably the last opportunity, especially with them already playing live shows.

Edited by mrtourette

Surely Eavis wouldn't compromise other parts of the festival for them though?! And re. the comment on the increased ticket price meaning extra cash to throw at them; I really hope not, I'd rather any extra money (after adjustment for inflation) was being spent on improvements to the festival itself.

I don't think he'd compromise other parts of the festival. I don't think the people running those other parts would let him compromise them, either.

And the price rise this time is lower than it should be when taking two years of inflation into account - so it's a less-than-inflationary rise, to cover the extra costs of other things which have increased in price over that two years.