Word Association Game

1 hour ago, carlosj said:

After to following.  Forrest Gump had a following, and this is on the soundtrack, bit of a personal mantra for me (Everybody's talkin' at me, I can't a hear a word they're sayin', I'm going where the weather suits my clothes...)

Whisty, yeah, I know what you mean about his Bobness' vocal chords.  Ok, how about the Highway 61 Revisited Revisited cover  album then? http://www.last.fm/music/Various+Artists/Uncut+2005.09:+Highway+61+Revisited+Revisited

Curry in a field in Somerset is a great thing. We will probably have keema curry and 'Captain's curry' judging by the last 2 visits, washed down with mojitos, on the Wednesday about 5pm, but I still aim to make the meet and see some more of you eFesters.

I thought Everybody's Talking was used in Midnight Cowboy.  Great song and great film.

Harry Nilsson had a flat in London near the Apple Studios which he used to allow friends to stay in while he was away.  Sadly it was the flat where Mama Cass Elliott of the Mamas and Papas died of a heart attack and a few years later Keith Moon died of a drugs overdose.

Anyway, after that cheerful note here's The Band and his Bobness following me DOWN

And if you don't go for Bob's voice enjoy Robbie Robertson's guitar or his solo effort "Somewhere DOWN the Crazy River"

Edited by grumpyhack

to Reverend. Baby, let me follow you down was written or popularised by Eric Von Schmidt originally. I then found he attributed some of the song to Rev Gary Davis, so have taken it to this song, not played though, by Martin in the Acoustic Tent last year(?) There are so many Vans and Vons in the 50s and 60s folk scene, too. I'm making up for missing the last few weeks over work and MrsCJ not being well, so am catching up frequent links, till work ramps up again next week, lol.

Edited by carlosj

Skipped through Highway 1, just can't bring myself to do it sorry Carlos. Did listen to Roberston, need a sound tech to strip it of BD vocals tho :)

Anyway off to see Sophie Hunger tonight, have no problem with her chords. Only sorry I missed her 2010 at the festival. She changed the band a year or 2 later and not so appealing now. Love the muted brass but he's gone along with the guitarist who had a nice sort of stage presence. Maybe I was lucky to catch them at the Jazz Cafe. 

Religion   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCnZoJid9jI

I still don't get why the link works sometimes and not others despite doing carriage return and all that Jazz. 

Edited by whisty

GOD, and today is the 35th anniversary of John's death.  Here's another version, from the anthology, acoustically. (Maybe you don't always get the links, cos you like Jazz whisty?? ;-)  )

Edited by carlosj

4 hours ago, whisty said:

Skipped through Highway 1, just can't bring myself to do it sorry Carlos. Did listen to Roberston, need a sound tech to strip it of BD vocals tho :)

Anyway off to see Sophie Hunger tonight, have no problem with her chords. Only sorry I missed her 2010 at the festival. She changed the band a year or 2 later and not so appealing now. Love the muted brass but he's gone along with the guitarist who had a nice sort of stage presence. Maybe I was lucky to catch them at the Jazz Cafe. 

Religion   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCnZoJid9jI

I still don't get why the link works sometimes and not others despite doing carriage return and all that Jazz. 

I just copied the YouTube link and pasted in text box, hit return and wait for a second till the video populates the page; not 100% solution but seems to work most times for me now (using an iPad) :)

We've had God, The Devil and Religion - all of which could link to loads of songs.  In deference to Whisty's struggle with Dylan's voice, here's Joan Baez doing a Bob song.  And the link is SIDE.

As relevant today as when it was written.

Joan Baez has always been a hero for me and she has adjusted her voice to ageing very well.  

Here she is at Glasto 2008, though the sound quality isn't the best.

I remember her playing St David's Hall in Cardiff, which is a 4,000 seater concert hall and singing We Shall Overcome unaccompanied and un-amplified and her voice filled the hall.

Edited by grumpyhack

Well done BC, glad the PC is working well.  I don't know how I'd manage to carry all the programs and files from my PC across to a new one.

From Time to CLOCK.  Really a bit of social history here.  Hard to think that at the time this record heralded in a musical revolution and led to cinema seats being ripped up.

Don't miss Sophie Hunger if you get a chance :)

Did someone mention Nick Drake, oh no that was John Martyn, always confuse them two for some strange reason. From the album Bryter Layter. Not live but lovely track, seems there's no live moving images for ND. There's even a little jazzy bit for Carlos.

Chime  - Copy paste, hit return, wait was working for me but it's stopped again. Well that's really strange, I pasted the link a second time and it loaded!!

Edited by whisty

Sophie Hunter does sound great, will have to check her out (never heard of her before!); cheers whisty.

Good to see you back in the game there brandy.

Loving the 50's and 60's nostalgia as well there grumps; life was far less complicated back then I reckon, plus the music revolution was just magic.

No rhyme or reason why some linkys work and some don't; spooky.............

Well I was going to go for Chuck Berry and My Ding A Ling but even I couldn't face it that much cheese.  So instead The Boss and a great team including Tracy Chapman and the CHIMES of Freedom.

Bells have a peal (peel) geddit? Link word PEEL, as in Orange Juice. Edwyn's made a great fight back but here's the earlier group in their post punk glory. I missed his earlier solo tour but like his later stuff too.

Oneeye, the 50's is my favourite era for clothes, although I'm not a vintage dresser, just vintage in age.

POEM  Really a link to Batman.  This is some rare footage of the Liverpool Scene in 1968.  Adrian Henri, the lead singer, was one of the Liverpool Poets, along with Brian Patten and Roger McGough but they also explored putting poetry to rock music.  Also in the band was Mike McGear, who was Paul McCartney's brother.

Looking outside through the window, it's Winter. From the album Standing at the Sky's Edge.

Caught Richard Hawley with Duanne Eddy on West Holts, didn't really know who he was but created a bit of excitement. Watched a couple tunes, started to walk through the crowd making my wayout and Peter Gunn started up, couldn't leave after that :)

Edited by whisty

Two Winters for the price of one.  BROTHERS Johnny and Edgar Winter knocking out some excellent blues.  Sadly Johnny is now one of Grumpy's Gonners but his guitar legacy lives on and multi-instrumentalist younger brother Edgar is still touring.

SHORE

Yes 'twere hot but what a great singalong.

Adge Cutler, original lead singer, songwriter and founder of The Wurzels, also used to work as a roadie for another Somerset lad Acker Bilk.  So here's Acker (Summerzet for mate) with his big hit.

And here's Adge with a bit of Brissle dialect

Edited by grumpyhack