WWE

lharris92

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

The matches will all be fine, but the build up is mediocre. I think Rollins v Brock is a difficult sell as the main men’s match. Brock has Heyman, but Rollins is mediocre at promos and the non wrestling side of things.

I'm actually finding the Kofi vs Bryan build up to be one of the best in years even if the insane over-booking of the women's match keeps distracting me from it. There's some really nice touches like The Usos who have probably been New Days biggest rivals forfeiting out of respect.

15 minutes ago, jump said:

I'm actually finding the Kofi vs Bryan build up to be one of the best in years even if the insane over-booking of the women's match keeps distracting me from it. There's some really nice touches like The Usos who have probably been New Days biggest rivals forfeiting out of respect.

The trouble is Kofi v Bryan doesn’t have that big match feel about it. It feels like the B show belt which is what it is. Brock v Goldberg felt like a big match, Brock V Rollins just doesn’t.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

The trouble is Kofi v Bryan doesn’t have that big match feel about it. It feels like the B show belt which is what it is. Brock v Goldberg felt like a big match, Brock V Rollins just doesn’t.

It shouldn't do since SDL has been better than Raw for ages now.

11 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Maybe it's because I was never a Goldberg fan but it didn't feel like an epic build up to his match with Brock, it felt more like a novelty match with a belt attached to it. 

I'm not sure why you think the Smackdown belt is a B level championship, Bryan with the belt is doing some of the best heel work in the business which followed AJ's great run whilst the Raw one is like a ghost.

5 minutes ago, jump said:

Maybe it's because I was never a Goldberg fan but it didn't feel like an epic build up to his match with Brock, it felt more like a novelty match with a belt attached to it. 

I'm not sure why you think the Smackdown belt is a B level championship, Bryan with the belt is doing some of the best heel work in the business which followed AJ's great run whilst the Raw one is like a ghost.

It's nothing to do with individual performances. It's the B belt because that's how WWE treat it. There is no doubt that WWE consider Brock the top male star. It's no surprise which brand he is on.

23 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

It's nothing to do with individual performances. It's the B belt because that's how WWE treat it. There is no doubt that WWE consider Brock the top male star. It's no surprise which brand he is on.

Nah Brock isn't the top star, he's the special attraction like Andre was with Hogan being the star. Really the reason why Brock has the belt is they don't know who the top star is. They changed their mind didn't pull the trigger on Braun, Roman's popularity isn't on par with the push he gets, Goldberg a 50 something with no long term plan etc.

Just now, WS_Jack_III said:

Forgive me if it has been mentioned but there's a rumour that Charlotte winning the SDL title is so the horsewomen each have a title to hold up at Mania to set that off for when Ronda eventually returns.

Yeah I mentioned it on the previous page. I was thinking it's more of a Eddie and Benoit happy moment which is gonna on highlight reels for yonks rather than setting up a future feud.

1 minute ago, jump said:

Yeah I mentioned it on the previous page. I was thinking it's more of a Eddie and Benoit happy moment which is gonna on highlight reels for yonks rather than setting up a future feud.

It'll be interesting if they do go with that because what do they do in the meantime?

A lot of selective amnesia having to be applied recently in WWE.

23 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

It'll be interesting if they do go with that because what do they do in the meantime?

A lot of selective amnesia having to be applied recently in WWE.

I'd assume Charlotte goes into a feud with Asuka, Becky goes into a feud with Nia since they will both be on Raw now and The Boss & Hug will just skip about looking for new challengers with NXT a likely place as they have just created two teams in Kari Sane & Shirai and Duke & Shafir.

It's rare for them to use 'mania to kick off feuds as they are normally use it for the happy ending/'mania moment stuff.

24 minutes ago, jump said:

I'd assume Charlotte goes into a feud with Asuka, Becky goes into a feud with Nia since they will both be on Raw now and The Boss & Hug will just skip about looking for new challengers with NXT a likely place as they have just created two teams in Kari Sane & Shirai and Duke & Shafir.

It's rare for them to use 'mania to kick off feuds as they are normally use it for the happy ending/'mania moment stuff.

Last one I can think of involved Ronda again. 

On 3/27/2019 at 10:18 AM, jump said:

There's an interesting theory I saw about how they want 'mania to end with The 4 Horsewoman (Becky, Sasha, Bayley & Charlotte) to all have titles with a shot of them holding them up.

Yeah I've seen a lot of this and the more I think about it the more sense it makes. Gotta feel sorry for Asuka though!

3 hours ago, jump said:

Nah Brock isn't the top star, he's the special attraction like Andre was with Hogan being the star. Really the reason why Brock has the belt is they don't know who the top star is. They changed their mind didn't pull the trigger on Braun, Roman's popularity isn't on par with the push he gets, Goldberg a 50 something with no long term plan etc.

Was Andre payed more than Hogan? Vince considers Brock the top star and that is reflected in his deal. Your right that's largely down to a lack of options. Vince will always treat the Raw championship a level above Smackdown. He always has and always will.

10 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Was Andre payed more than Hogan? Vince considers Brock the top star and that is reflected in his deal. Your right that's largely down to a lack of options. Vince will always treat the Raw championship a level above Smackdown. He always has and always will.

I wouldn't be surprised if Andre was on more than Hogan on a per date basis, he was sliding to a more limited schedule due to his health and was still a huge draw. Not that salary equates to being a star, I remember reading Sin Cara is on one of the bigger contracts in the company earning more than the likes of The Hardys, New Day, Braun and all of the (non-Ronda) women's division.

I wouldn't be so sure it's Raw over Smackdown forever, Smackdown is literally going to be worth a billion to the WWE when it's on Fox soon. 

Tbh this sounds more like your own preferences of it's not Raw therefore it's B-level regardless of the quality of the feud/performers and it's that hump which preventing you from enjoying it.

26 minutes ago, jump said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Andre was on more than Hogan on a per date basis, he was sliding to a more limited schedule due to his health and was still a huge draw. Not that salary equates to being a star, I remember reading Sin Cara is on one of the bigger contracts in the company earning more than the likes of The Hardys, New Day, Braun and all of the (non-Ronda) women's division.

I wouldn't be so sure it's Raw over Smackdown forever, Smackdown is literally going to be worth a billion to the WWE when it's on Fox soon. 

Tbh this sounds more like your own preferences of it's not Raw therefore it's B-level regardless of the quality of the feud/performers and it's that hump which preventing you from enjoying it.

Nothing to do with personal preference, it’s related to years of watching Vince prioritise Raw over Smackdown. Smackdown will likely continue to be the better show if it stays two hours, but while Vince is still alive Raw will always be the favourite son.

17 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Nothing to do with personal preference, it’s related to years of watching Vince prioritise Raw over Smackdown. Smackdown will likely continue to be the better show if it stays two hours, but while Vince is still alive Raw will always be the favourite son.

I honestly don't think it has anything to do with how many hours is on the show and more to do with the way it's been handled. They have had their big champ on weekly basis, there's less focus on the GMs/McMahons so the wrestlers aren't overshadowed, the tag division is insanely better even when they had to use people like Health Slater & Rhyno and it seems less about the main event/the big feud than Raw is. It also seems less prone to dropping the ball with feuds and building people up than Raw is, Smackdown managed to make use of James Ellsworth whilst Raw has struggled to use the bulk of their roster.

Edited by jump

9 minutes ago, jump said:

I honestly don't think it has anything to do with how many hours is on the show and more to do with the way it's been handled. 

I dont agree. I think you could have much better booking, but people are never going to want to watch a 3 hour weekly wrestling show. I understand the economics, but it ruins the show creatively. If you added that third hour to smackdown it would quickly go downhill.

3 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I dont agree. I think you could have much better booking, but people are never going to want to watch a 3 hour weekly wrestling show. I understand the economics, but it ruins the show creatively. If you added that third hour to smackdown it would quickly go downhill.

I'd be happy with a 3rd hour of Smackdown, I've find it goes too quick (especially for The US title) but Raw's problem are due to booking (which seems to be catch all phrase for some reason) as if it was 2 hours those problems still exist. Raw is literally lacking a champ whilst Bryan/AJ or even fucking Jinder where out there every week, it still lacks a tag division whilst Smackdown was able to do a tag gauntlet match, it's had to take Smackdown's biggest women stars for it's main feud etc

Bryan vs. Kofi is without a doubt the bigger title match. The build up had been so much better and I would wager it being higher up on he card than the Universal Title match. 

The build for the Univeral Title match has been pathetic. Rollins seems like no threat at all. Part of me thinks they will have Brock go over at Mania again. Nothing about the match is exciting. 

2 hours ago, jump said:

I'd be happy with a 3rd hour of Smackdown, I've find it goes too quick (especially for The US title) but Raw's problem are due to booking (which seems to be catch all phrase for some reason) as if it was 2 hours those problems still exist. Raw is literally lacking a champ whilst Bryan/AJ or even fucking Jinder where out there every week, it still lacks a tag division whilst Smackdown was able to do a tag gauntlet match, it's had to take Smackdown's biggest women stars for it's main feud etc

I would argue that if it's leaving you wanting more then the timing is probably right. I have no doubt some people want to watch a weekly 3 hour wrestling show, but these are in the minority.

36 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

The build up had been so much better and I would wager it being higher up on he card than the Universal Title match. 

The build for the Univeral Title match has been pathetic. Rollins seems like no threat at all. Part of me thinks they will have Brock go over at Mania again. Nothing about the match is exciting. 

How would you judge how high a match is if not main event? Braun /Nicholas went on second last and wasn't the second biggest match last year.

I agree the Smackdown build has been better. Brock and Rollins are both useless in building a feud.

2 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

How would you judge how high a match is if not main event? Braun /Nicholas went on second last and wasn't the second biggest match last year.

I agree the Smackdown build has been better. Brock and Rollins are both useless in building a feud.

You’re being a little facetious, I think. The Universal Title match has been higher on the card than the WWE Title since it started being a thing. If the WWE Title is higher this year, I think it’s clear that they consider it the bigger title match.

This Brock as champion shit needs to end for good. It’s been 5 years nearly. 

8 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

You’re being a little facetious, I think. The Universal Title match has been higher on the card than the WWE Title since it started being a thing. If the WWE Title is higher this year, I think it’s clear that they consider it the bigger title match.

This Brock as champion shit needs to end for good. It’s been 5 years nearly. 

Well the woman’s title  is main eventing so I’m not sure how much we can read into history. In reality if I was Brock and was offered any slot outside the main event I would take the first match, purely because you guarantee a hot crowd before they lose steam in what is now an overlong ppv. There is no doubt in my mind that only 2 matches were considered to main event mania and the Smackdown title wasn’t one of them.