Films

Rufus Gwertigan

Has JJ Abrahms done a bad movie?

Depends how much you like lens flare, but off the top of my head, Armageddon and Mission Impossible 3 were both a bit pants, although he only wrote the latter (IIRC). Only other two I can remember seeing is Cloverfield and Super 8, both were entertaining but not brilliant. I bet if you dug into his film making portfolio you'd find a fair few rotters.

Indeed...there is quite a bit of hate, especially for Into Darkness. Apparently his ripped the soul out of Star Trek with all the lens flare.

That lens flare does my head in! They have a point tho, Star Trek was more philosophical building towards a better future type thing, where people no matter of race got along and had sex with aliens where as the remakes are blockbuster movies. Of course a lot the issues in Star Trek don't really matter now like Russians and Yanks can get along and it's ok to go out with black chicks but if they really want to make Star Trek for this generation then they should have a middle eastern Captain Kirk with Spock as his gay lover!

But most of that was the TV show and not the movies. All the older movies are pretty much the same as the new ones, threat to earth/the galaxy appears, the enterprise crew go on a mission to save the day. (Apart from the Search for Spock....but even then essentially had the Klingons trying to weaponise the Genesis device :P, I suppose the the voyage home at least explores green issues.)

But most of that was the TV show and not the movies. All the older movies are pretty much the same as the new ones, threat to earth/the galaxy appears, the enterprise crew go on a mission to save the day. (Apart from the Search for Spock....but even then essentially had the Klingons trying to weaponise the Genesis device :P, I suppose the the voyage home at least explores green issues.)

Nah, the films proved that even old people are still useful. At one point they had Uhura who was in her 50's stripping.

Edited by jump