Eagles Of Death Metal 5

The Gaslight Anthem 7

All Time Low 4

The Skints 6

Bullet For My Valentine 7

Kaiser Chiefs 5

The Black Keys 7

Foo Fighters 10

I've never worked out how I can rate acts - some make me listen, some make me move, some make me think, some make me sing - however my top three of the weekend were West Nuns, Deap Vally, and Marmozets

...and my reviews of the bands I saw are here:

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/reading/2012/reviews.shtml

Edited by 5co77ie

Friday

Cancer Bats - 7.5

Good but not great, although a nice loud start to the weekend.

Star Fucking Hipsters - 8

Really impressed by these guys, good tunes and the fact they were having fun added to the enjoyment.

Savages - 7

Interesting songs, hard not to compare to Joy Division/Siouxsie. Singer even dances like Ian Curtis

Spector – 7

Caught these by accident but was pleasantly surprised. Enjoyable background music.

The Hives - 9

Really good set, played hard and crowd interaction and stage presence added an extra dimension.

Wet Nuns – 6

Good sound but got fed up of boring chat in between songs.

Saves The Day - 2

I clearly had these guys marked wrong, I was expecting some pop-punk but got a dreary faux-emotional soundtrack to a crappy US teen drama. Very dull. Two points for the drummer’s hair.

Graham Coxon – 9

Started slow but ended up being a great set with some wonderful noise.

Paramore - 4

Somehow managed to catch most of these again, don’t like their songs but at least they sounded better than last time.

The Cure - 8

Not a massive fan so found myself losing interest now and again but sound was always great, a good performance. Small crowd but I think was a success.

Saturday

Blood Red Shoes – 7.5

Was concerned they might not come across well on the main stage but they pulled it off.

Twin Atlantic – 6

Great crowd, good sound, seem like good guys. All they need now are some actual songs, although that doesn’t seem to have hindered their progress so far.

Don Bronco – 0

Terrible, no redeeming features at all. Went on the recommendation of a couple of people on here but they were just a really dull band with a tit for a lead singer.

Jake Bugg – 6

Pleasant songs and a nice voice but was a bit boring, not much presence.

The Vaccines – 7.5

Sounded really good, was enjoying it until I left early to catch…

Mastodon – 8.5

Brilliant set, a sound that is sadly lacking at R&L nowadays.

The Cribs – 8

Put a lot into it and it showed, sounded good. A very good indie rock n roll band.

Kasabian – 8

Maybe it’s because I’ve seen them umpteen times but didn’t seem to be firing on all cylinders, came across as a bit sterile and definite lack of banter. Some odd omissions from the set list (Processed Beats for one) but still a set full of great songs and the crowd were loving it.

Sunday

Pulled Apart By Horses – 9

Excellent start to the day, only two albums in and they’re able to leave out great songs and still play a brilliant set. Great energy to get the crowd going.

Band Of Skulls – 7

Maybe it was the post-PABH comedown but these guys didn’t really grab me, I've liked them for ages but they didn’t seem to do what Blood Red Shoes did and put themselves across fully on the main stage.

Tribes – 5

Disappointment of the weekend, like the album but they didn’t sound good and I lost interest half way through. Would have left to see someone else if I had the energy.

The Joy Formidable – 9

Tremendous noise, new songs sounded good and old stuff still fantastic.

Mark Lanegan – 9

Pathetic crowd was expected but Lanegan was superb, his band are also fantastic.

The Black Keys – 7

Kids down the front looked like they were having a good time but they didn’t sound right to me. Good songs but didn’t come across well. Probably didn’t help having a field full of people just waiting for Foos and chattering amongst themselves.

Foo Fighters – 9.5

Cracking set, all I wanted was some old stuff and they delivered. To hear Exhausted live again after 15 years or whatever was magnificent. Lovely little speech in the middle about joining Nirvana and playing Reading was just the right way to doff his cap to the past.

Only saw 7 acts all weekend so here it goes -

Late Night Gimp Fight - 8 - What a way to start the weekend. Very very funny and dark! Unfortunately marred by sound and visual problems out of their control but I will still give them an 8 for their One Direction "You know you're a peadophile" skit!

The Cure - 10 - No words!

Billy Talent - 8 - not a big fan, but my wife likes them. A very tight band and awesome sounding live - had the crowd in the palms of their hands - good live band!

Feeder - 9 - Missed some of my favourites, but Just a Day and Buck Rodgers was awesome!

Black Keys - 7 - I imagine these guys to be awesome at their own gig - unfortunately the crowd was a bit flat for them and the atmosphere didn't rise - good performance by them though!

Foos - 7 - seen them before, they did nothing different, sounded the same. The rumours in the afternoon of Tenacious D doing a surprise set and Kris joinging them on stage for Nirvana hits kind of took the edge off it when nothing really special happed as promised...... I dunno, I guess I was just so up for my next act.....

MFATGG - 10 - Outstanding. Been waiting 12 years to see them and they were everything I imagined! Brilliant, funny, energetic and they ripped the place apart.

I simply cannot choose who was better - Cure or MFATGG.......

China Rats - 8 - Saw these on the Thursday at the Introducing Stage as the girlfriend knew their drummer. Was very impressed, crowd got really into them.

Band of Skulls - 7 - sound wasn't the best and they didn't play The Pattern

Eagles of Death Metal - 7.5 - enjoyable, fun.

Reginald D. Hunter - 8 - Love the guy

The Skints - 7.5 - Don't know if the band before them finished late because the roadie (yes singular) seemed to be rushing to set up the equipment, sound wasn't the best as a result and would have preferred a slightly different set. But still enjoyed them, will probably go to see them on their next tour to catch more of the newer songs they didn't play

Bullet For My Valentine - 7 - Not the biggest fan but sounded very good

Kaiser Chiefs - 9 - Great atmosphere, great set, great stage presence by Ricky

The Black Keys - 8.5 - Lived up to my expectations, great set and great sound

Foo Fighters - 10 - Just phenomenal

Hadouken! - 6.5 - Just saw them for something to do, sounded alright.

Seann Walsh - 9 - Saw him by accident when we wandered to the Alternative stage for a sit down, he was actually hilarious, much better in his stand up than he comes across on Mock The Week

Spector - 8.5 - Just got into these recently and was very impressed, front man had a good stage presence and they sounded excellent

The Hives - 9 - Brilliant set, so much energy

The Blackout - 8 - Was surprised by the very low turnout at Leeds, don't know if it had anything to do with them clashing with YM@6, they're kinda similar I suppose. People around me just weren't into them so I moved closer to the action and it improved the experience a lot

Paramore - 6 - Not into them, went with the girlfiend who's a fan. Was slightly impressed with her vocals as I didn't think she was any good live.

Anti-Flag - 9.5 - Sacrificed 50 mins of The Cure for them and it was a great decision. Great atmosphere, full of energy and some great songs

The Cure - 9 - They sounded brilliant and although I missed some I caught most of my favourite songs in the encore.

Blood Red Shoes - 7 - Watched them from afar, sounded very good. Didn't realise they were a two-piece. The drummer has a good range of vocals.

Twin Atlantic - 6.5 - Not my cup of tea really but they sounded alright.

Mick Ferry - 7.5 - Saw him while waiting for Al Murray, he was very good.

Al Murray - 7.5 - Exactly what you'd expect from the Pub Landlord, not the best comedian but a very enjoyable show.

Enter Shikari - 8.5 - Not as good as when I've seen them before, much prefer them in a tent and I'm not too keen on some of their newer stuff, whereas I enjoyed every song on their first 2 albums. Still great energy though.

Billy Talent - 9 - Was delighted when I saw they didn't clash with Enter Shikari, great set, atmosphere and energy.

Florence - 6 - She sounded good vocally but I'm not really a fan of hers. Was very shocked she didn't play 2 of the only songs I know Kiss with a Fist and You've Got the Love

Kasabian - 10 - Got into these again after their newest album which I've really enjoyed and was expecting a great set, but they managed to blow my expectations out of the water. The crowd was so into them and they sounded much better live than I thought they would. Just brilliant.

Edited by Maaaaaark1

Reading, in order of what I saw:

Friday

Cancer Bats- 7

A good, heavy start to the day

Coheed and Cambria- 6

Technically brilliant, but so fucking boring

Angels and Airwaves- 4

Stop trying to be U2. Snorefest

The Hives- 8.5

Absolutely insane. Band of the day, easily. Misbilling of the day by a country mile, as the NME tent was probably more heaving than have seen it for years!

The Blackout- 6

Meh. Emo by numbers

You Me at Six- 0

Just dont like them, but there was nothing else I wanted to watch so sat drinking and chilling. They were the closest band to where I was sitting, so not sure if it counts as "watching" them.

Bouncing Souls- 6

A perfectly good support act for better bands

Every Time I Die- 6

Will give these more of a listen from now on. Didnt know enough of their stuff before this but want to know more

Anti Flag- 7.5

Great fun. Another that always seems to play Reading, so concentrated on them properly for the first time this year and thoroughly enjoyed it too. Wont be the last time I watch them

Social Distortion- 7

Purely to pay respects to a band that have obviously influenced so many current bands.

The Cure- 7

An "I was there when the Cure played Reading" moment. A band I never thought would have the chance to see.

Saturday

Green Day- 5

Not a reflection of the performance at all, which sounded as great as ever. However it was the biggest disappointment of the festival that security were holding thousands of people back by the entrance, potentially leading to a serious crush. All of this was particularly galling when you looked past security and saw a completely empty field by the NME. Terrible, terrible organisation, that ruined for many what couldve been an event spoken about for years

Pure Love- 7

Never a massive Gallows fan, but interested in what Frank does next. Worth keeping an eye on, for sure.

Reginald D Hunter- 9

Restored my good mood that had been spoiled by the Green Day fiasco. Kudos to the MC and security who got everyone already in the tent to stand up so those of us wanting to could get in and hear him. Fantastic show from one of the best stand ups out there.

Gary Delaney- 8

Great one liners

Adam Bloom- 7

Fun stand up. Not bad at all for a guy who was called on to replace Rob Rouse cos he just happened to be a punter at the Festival.

Doc Brown- 7.5

Great fun. Affectionate piss take from a veteran of the rap/hip-hop scene.

Enter Shikari-4

Another band that I just dont "get". Watched them this time cos there was fuck all else on, and wanted to be willing to see what all the fuss was about.

Billy Talent- 8

These guys never disappoint. Seen them loads of times and theyve never been less than very good. More atmosphere through putting them in a tent than main stage, too.

Mastodon- 8

I appreciate this band rather than love them, but over the past few years theyve just grown and grown and with a bit more effort in their live shows, can pretty much become as big as they want. Crushing.

Feeder- 8

Slightly bemused by the promoters hiding them away in the 4th stage. Wouldnt have been out of place on the main like 4 years ago when they were eclipsed only by Tenacious D and Metallica IMHO

At the Drive In- 7

After the music press went gooey about this for the last few weeks, I was expecting the 2nd Coming of JC at least! As it happens they were good, but like with Mastodon a band I appreciate technically rather than will ever love

Sunday

Band of Skulls- 5

Just not particularly interesting

Eagles of Death Metal- 7

Third time Ive seen these at Reading. Im not sure if Im alone here, but was Jesse just going through the motions? They were good but previously theyve been bloody great, and maybe Jesse was lacking his usual mojo? (Erection? :sarcastic: )

The Gaslight Anthem- 9

These guys are growing into one of my favourite bands. 5th time Ive seen them- all at Festivals- and this was the first time Ive seen Brian actually seem to really enjoy himself. Great sing alongs, real emotion. Like a hungry, young Springsteen and the E-street Band. Praise indeed.

The Skints- 5

A recommendation from my mate. Even he found them boring on sunday though.

Bullet For My Valentine- 7

Good but not great. Never as good as you want them to be, and always seem to play at whatever festival I go to.

Trash Talk- 6

Didnt really care. Perfectly acceptable punk-thrash though

Turbonegro- 9

Now we're fucking talking. Truly awesome and extremley good fun. I never fail to enjoy them, and Hank's departure hasnt affected them in a bad way at all. Highlight was before they started when some kids wanted a photo with my mate, who just happens to be black. "Can we have our photo taken with the Turbo Negro, please?" He found it funnier than anyone.

Gallows- 8

Never a fan before, but what a front man theyve got in Wade MacNeil! Will buy the new album for sure now!

Me First and the Gimme Gimmes- 9.5

Just edging my favourite of the weekend. Drunk, stupid, excellent fun. Best covers band Ive ever seen. You have to be truly great to be this good/bad, and I couldnt get enough. Quote of the day from Fat Mike: "How many people in this tent think we're better than the Foo Fighters?" HUGE CHEER FROM THE CROWD. Fat Mike: "You're so fucking wrong!" Brilliant show. R Kelly on a ukelele will stick with me for ages!

Foo Fighters- 7

I know Dave loves Reading, and we love him too. Not the best show theyve ever played though, and the formula of- play the song, strum and chat during it, finish the song with a lengthy jam/solo-would be a bit grating from anyone else, but I guess that he has the charisma to carry it off.

Honourable mention goes to the weather too. The forecast lead us to expect a wash out, but as far as I could tell it rained for no more than a couple of hours over the 3 days. The fact that sunday was nice enough for trainers was a massive pleasant surprise.

I've been going to Reading for 10 years now, and while this year wasnt the best its ever been, I've got no intention of hanging up my wristband yet. Overall, a thoroughly enjoyable 7/10

Edited by guyzer

Leeds Festival ratings for me:

Fri:

Of Monsters and Men - 7 - really enjoyed their set, and the single is incredibly catchy!

Howler - 2 - absolutely awful, every song sounded the same and only saved by Back of Your Neck being such a belter.

Tribes - 7 - actually really enjoyed them, good crowd and songs sound much better live (i do like the record still)

Joy Formidable - 6.5 - also good, but maybe too much new stuff for a small set. still, even songs you dont know by these are awesome due to the noise. Whirring was great, would've liked to hear A Heavy Abacus though!

Kaiser Chiefs - 7.5 - great fun, I went to uni 2005-2008 in Leeds so as you can imagine, some great nostalgic memories there for the stuff from the first two albums!

Black Keys - 4 - enjoyed a couple of the singles (NOT gold on the ceiling or lonely boy) but all in all did not think they deserved their slot and I do not like them anyway.

Foo Fighters - 8 - Great set as you'd expect but not as epic as i was hoping. Was good fun in the front for the first half, then watched the rest from further back and found it a bit quiet, and the crowd VERY static, and we werent far from the second barrier. Think we annoyed those around us with our singing!

Friends - 6 - Good band, great frontwoman and love the singles. Bit samey at times but it was ok.

Spector - 7 - really good fun, great banter with the crowd and a good singalong for the singles.

Hives - 7 - rammed in the tent so watched from the side, great fun as always

We are Augustines - 6 - only caught 3 tracks, but saw a song i didnt realise was them from the radio and enjoyed the rest. Album purchased since i got back!

Blackout - 4 - watched from outside the tent while eating some lunch. didnt like the music, but singer was funny - "who here has a head" *mainly silence from crowd* "oh for f**ks sake...who here possesses a HEAD" *small ripple from

crowd* "who wants to go back to your tent and sleep? it sure sounds like it!"

Passion Pit - 7.5 - really good, benefit from the lights and a good crowd, and the new stuff sounded as good as the old stuff

Graham Coxon - 4 - like graham a lot, but unfortunately the crowd were securing spots for Courteeners and i think i was the only person in the front bit enjoying myself and singing along. people were barely clapping and cheering between songs, it was painful to watch to be honest so i ended up doing my pre courteeners toilet and bar trip during the set. Shame.

Courteeners - 9 - one of my favourite bands, had a great time singing along to the songs old and new. Atmosphere was incredible in that tent with every word being shouted back at them. Liam Fray seemed overwhelmed which is always a

good sign.

Subways - 9.5 - spontaneous decision as i felt like something upbeat, and it didnt disappoint. FR tent is an amazing venue, and the energy in the place was brilliant. great singalong to another nostalgic band for me! Recent album stuff sounded strong, another post-festy purchase!

Cure - 4 - i like them but was bored in the 45 mins i saw, despite them playing my favourite two songs (boys dont cry and close to me)

Mystery Jets - 3 - incredibly boring, but never given them a proper go.

Odd Future - 0 - wtf? comically, intriguingly terrible

Dry The River - 3 - not a fan at all

Enter Shikari - 4 - raaaaaaaaaaaargh and not my thing. good crowd banter though and seemed humble enough

Vaccines - 7 - i like the vaccines (great gig at glasto last year when they'd just come out),love Wetsuit, All in White, No Hope, Noorgard, Blow it Up and Wreckin Bar - atmosphere was amazing and the sun was shining. shame they are just a bit...average really. Cant put my finger on it but i dont get how they are SO massive. Pleasant enough

Florence - 1 - watched 2 songs just to see really...and her voice goes through me more live than on record. cant explain this either really, just literally like nails on a chalkboard for me.

Cribs- 9.5 - wow, amazing setlist, amazing crowd/atmosphere/lights, passionate performance. Highlight of the weekend for me.

Kasabian - 7.5 - another band i like but some self indulgent, pretty boring bits balanced out by the amazing Fire, Empire, Club Foot etc. the LSF singalong was TERRIBLE though, fair chunk of crowd didnt seem to know it. such a shame

All in all - a solid 8 for the music over the weekend, discovered some new stuff, saw some favourites and some bands I like but dont love. Cant argue at all!

Edited by efcfanwirral

deaf havana - 6

cancer bats - 7

a wilhelm scream - 7

bouncing souls - 7

every time i die - 8

anti flag - 7

scroobius pip - 8

green day - 9

twin atlantic - 6

dry the river - 6

don broco - 7

mongol horde - 8

this is hell - 7

gaslight anthem - 8

polar bear club - 9

the joy formidable - 11 (band of the weekend for me, could've watched them all day)

foo fighters - 10 (i was thrilled that they played so much old stuff, a proper treat)

friday

hadouken! - 6 -got the crowd going but just not my music so didn't fully appreciate it i guess.

late night gimp fight - 9.5- hilarious would deffo see them again at some point if i saw them touring.

every time i die - 7-from what i saw of the set it was solid

the cure - 6.5 - only reason i'm giving them this is cause was zoning out from the music (was so melodic + tiredness = almost falling asleep) and didn't fully get into it as i'm not a huge fan.

all i can remember from friday really

saturday

green day - 9.5 - epic start to the day especially from getting to the arena before it opened so got an amazing spot to watch from + it wasn't the promo set we all expected

chris cox - 8 - a novelty act which was fairly amusing

jimmy mcghie - 9 - great warm up for reginald d hunter and as funny as him i reckon

reginald d hunter - 9.5 - biggest crowd i've seen in the tent and he dealt with it well great set.

billy talent - 9.9 - stunning set the crowd were fully into it as well which made it even better... especially "that chant"

lower than atlantis - 8 - great set topped off with a song that covered a bit of the foos

young guns - 7.5 - surprised me a bit as thought they were going to be poor but a solid set.

ATDI - 5.5 - just didn't seem to be that much energy in the set + as i didn't know many songs probably didn't help

sunday

PABH - 7.5 - great set to start off the day

Mongol Horde - 8 - really enjoyable even though didn't really know the songs

The Gaslight Anthem - 7 - chilled out set which was made better by the cricket at the start :P

BFMV - 8.5 - great set and end was epic

Foo Fighters - 9.5 - solid set that was a really enjoyable end to the fest even though their was a lot of talking going on between songs

overall a solid weekend

We joined The Cure during the middle of their set, and tbh I only knew about 5 of their songs. Constant monotone wailing from Smith throughout that I just had to leave, and they had as much presence and personality on stage as lamposts.

At The Drive In were a little better, but he just moaned at the crowd and they missed their best song (Invalid Litter Department). Way better when I saw them about 11 years ago in the Astoria.

Was going to miss Foo Fighters and watch MFATGG and LTJ but couldn't pull ourselves away after watching the first hour - signs of a quality set for me.

Fair play, don't get me wrong, would LOVE to have seen MFATGG's but just couldn't tear myself away from the Foo's, even though i've seen them 4 times before! Loved it, but was also easier as we were all heading off home straight after so we all just stuck together.

Real shame about The Cure for me as I realise how iconic they are so I wanted to check them out; I'm sure yourselves and loads of others loved every minute, but not for me this time around.

Fair play, don't get me wrong, would LOVE to have seen MFATGG's but just couldn't tear myself away from the Foo's, even though i've seen them 4 times before! Loved it, but was also easier as we were all heading off home straight after so we all just stuck together.

Real shame about The Cure for me as I realise how iconic they are so I wanted to check them out; I'm sure yourselves and loads of others loved every minute, but not for me this time around.

Spector- 6- were alright but sound issues and asking "who's looking forward to Rizzle Kicks on the mainstage?" completely derailed their momentum

The Hives- 10- Right at the front, great atmosphere, great banter, great energy, great songs. Best of the weekend.

Graham Coxon-7- Alright, tad self indulgent with his 10 minute guitar solos

The Courteeners- 7.5- Good singalong, and good fun, just lacked that something extra

Foster The People- 8- First half was boring, but once they got in to their hits it wasentertaining and energetic, with a great crowd reaction

The Maccabees- 8.5- All round good show, great ending, last three songs (Pelican, Feel To Follow, We Grew Up At Midnight) were fantastic

Only caught three Green Day songs from outside the tent, so can't really judge

Los Campesinos!- 8- only caught their last few songs, but they performed well, and their banter was decent

The Shins- 7- Only saw a few songs again, but I was quite entertained even though I never really gave them a listen

The Vaccines- 8.5- Entertaining and lively set, even if the new songs that nobody knew slowed the momentum a bit.

Feeder- 9.5- Simply brilliant show, perfect setlist, and the most energetic crowd I was in all weekend. Nice to have Grant acknowledge my Welsh flag as well.

Kasabian- 8- Good performance, but nowhere near as good as when I saw them at their own show. Liked the Praise You and She Loves You covers though, even if it was at the expense of Goodbye Kiss.

Gaslight Anthem- 8.5- One of my favourite bands going in, found the crowd a bit lacklustre though, despite the music being good. Surprised by how good The Backseat was live though, never saw it as a closer until I watched them.

Kaiser Chiefs- 9- Really good, energetic, hit-filled set. Particularly enjoyed Pinball Wizard and Angry Mob.

Black Keys- 8.5- Entertaining set, and the crowd was good for it. Felt a bit like everyone was just waiting for the Foo Fighters at this point though.

Foo Fighters- 9- Could easily have been a 10, as their performance was brilliant, the crowd was brilliant, but I felt they knocked the momentum a bit by filling the encore with more obscure songs- surely staggering them across the main set and sticking songs like Big Me, Wheels and Long Road To Ruin in the encore would've been better?

Foo Fighters- 9- Could easily have been a 10, as their performance was brilliant, the crowd was brilliant, but I felt they knocked the momentum a bit by filling the encore with more obscure songs- surely staggering them across the main set and sticking songs like Big Me, Wheels and Long Road To Ruin in the encore would've been better?

Hearing those songs was far better than any special guest or cover version.

I remmeber Dave saying at a gig years ago that Taylor hates playing I'll Stick Around and I guess that's why they dropped it, which made me smirk as they ripped into it.

Edited by mrtourette

Foo Fighters - 10/10, absolutely perfect. Emotional is the only word I can use to describe that performance. Loved it

Black Keys - 8/10, very good but not quite suited to such a massive stage

Greenday - 9/10, a very good surprise and I am very happy I got to see them. It rekindled my love for them

The Cure - 6.5/10, sounded good but I could have just put the CD on had the same experience. No stage presence, no showmanship just not much of a show really. (Dave Grohl, Billy Joe Armstrong, Pelle Almqvist, Ben Kowalewicz = great example of how a front man should talk to a large audience)

Billy Talent - 9/10, rocked hard as usual

The Hives - 8/10, during the gig I would give it 10/10 such is their ability to convince the crowd they are the best band in the world

Gaslight Anthem - 7/10, great band I can see only getting better

Angels & Airwaves - 6/10, improved upon their last performance at Reading but the crowd didn't really buy into it that much

Pulled apart by horses - 7/10, fantastic way to wake up and start my Sunday

Feeder - 8/10, sounded better than ever, brought back great memories. Would have loved to hear a few more oldies though