Van Morrison for oldies slot?

Guest matthewsdad1968

I worked with a guy who was an established manager, and he was contacted by Van due to his (Van's) manager having had enough of working for him. Van said to my colleague "you'll be my next manager" assuming he'd jump at the chance. The guy declined the offer, citing being too busy as the excuse, when the reality was he didn't want the headaches involved with being his manager. Van said something along the lines of "you don't understand, I've already decided... you've got the job.....". He didn't take the job.

Van's made some of thee most glorious music in my life... but he can't 'alf be miserable

I don't really have a problem with these sort of artists being awkward difficult bastards. I reckon it sort of goes with the terrotory. You want sublime, amazing music, they're going to be perfectionists, temperamental and mercurial (which is just a nice way of saying 'arseholes', I guess). If they weren't so self obsessed, they wouldn't make the music they do. I mean, I'm sure it's not as clear cut as that, but it's definitely in there.

That said, they have to back it up with the music. Arsehole attitude without genius music makes you just an arsehole.

Edited by Mardy

True Mardy. But Van defo backs it up!

I just thing he gets a rough deal on the whole "grumpy" thing from people. Especially when theres a genuine heinous and cynical aspect to "current" musicians which are overlooked for fear of rocking the popularity boat.

Edited by The Nal

True Mardy. But Van defo backs it up!

I just thing he gets a rough deal on the whole "grumpy" thing from people. Especially when theres a genuine heinous aspect to "current" musicians which are overlooked for fear of rocking the popularity boat.

for me, No Guru, No Method, No Teacher has happy memories. Used to go out with a girl who introduced me to Van Morrison and John Martyn. She had a tape with that on one side and 'Solid Air' on the other. Good times.