Van Morrison for oldies slot?

Guest matthewsdad1968

Have just come back from The Green man festival were Van Morrison was the headline act. I would like to put him forward for the oldies slot. Saw him a couple of years ago and he was shocking. Last night he , and his superb band, gave a fantastic performance. Would be great for chilling in the sun on the Sunday afternoon.

He's done it fairly recently to be fair, if we're going to repeat, I'd love Dylan back, but I'd much rather someone new.

The Monkees have been doing a US tour, wouldn't mind that. Some form of Townsend doing Quadrophenia possible as well? Would suggest Beach Boys, but Wilson only played recently. I'd quite like Santana as well.

Edited by thesecretingredientiscrime

This won't mean that much but reading this I remembered that I had a dream last night where I was at Glasto and someone asked me who was in the oldies slot and I said Van Morrison.

Given I've not haunted these boards fora fair while I'd say it's a sign...

• 1 month later...

I heard stories he was grumpy and didn't join in much, but didn't think he fell out with the eavis'

Judging by what emily said recently he's in with a chance

" astral Weeks soundtracked many years of growing up on the farm. Van Morrison used to play Glastonbury almost every year; it would be good to have him back. My dad used to pick him up from the train station and then take him on stage; this was in the days before tour managers. It was a great childhood growing up with the festival, at times it was intense but I got to meet amazing people"

Saw him this year at jersey folklore and although he was good he was going through the motions - his band looked petrified b him and only loosened up once he had left the stage and gone home (without even saying goodbye )

A good source tells me he is totally a diva - he had to pass through the backstage bar area and all the staff had to hide before he went on stage as he didn't want to see any person !!! Diva behaviour and I hate that ! He did pla a great set though !

A good source tells me he is totally a diva - he had to pass through the backstage bar area and all the staff had to hide before he went on stage as he didn't want to see any person !!! Diva behaviour and I hate that ! He did pla a great set though !

I'm pretty sure that he's got a crowd phobia which causes some of his more-odd actions.

• 3 weeks later...

If you have 10 mins to spare, this is as good as it gets. Totally in the music.

Lost in his childhood memory (which the song is about), singing from his soul, for himself. Proper, proper, proper music. A man on fire.

And the crowd cheer at that start!!

Edited by The Nal

he's an odd one, Van Morrison, I can't get my head around him at all. There's seems to be a massive disconnect between the soaring fucking glory of his best music and him being a grumpy bastard. It tends to make me convinced that you know, maybe you can separate art from the individual, which is not really a thing I generally tend to believe. I just don't know.

That said, how fucking ace is this

He was born in Belfast in the 1940s Mardy. Hardly a springboard for a cheery life!

Thats one of the things I love about him. His music is so hopeful, uplifting and soulful, yet theres a huge conflict there with his own personality, as you said.

P.S., the clip above, although I like it, but I'm very much in "The Last Waltz is overrated" club. Apart from Van and maybe one or two more, most of the performances are pretty token and substandard for me. I'm not a big fan of the celebratory "lets all get together and get a circle jerk going" gigs anyway though as most of the performances end up being pretty token and substandard.

Although I do have it on DVD and have watched it loads!

Edited by The Nal

He was born in Belfast in the 1940s Mardy. Hardly a springboard for a cheery life!

Thats one of the things I love about him. His music is so hopeful, uplifting and soulful.

P.S., the clip above, although I like it, but I'm very much in "The Last Waltz is overrated" club. Apart from Van, most of the performances are pretty token and substandard for me.

Yeah I said it.