T in the Park 2013

Guest Chiefski

See the whole T "demographic" thing really bugs me - surely a smart business plan would be to attract as many people as possible. If they're not selling out aiming at their current "demographic" they should add acts who would widen said demographic and appeal to more people, and if that includes having an older artist headlining one night (along with a few acts to attract older people dotted out over the weekend) as long as there was someone who was typically a "younger" act on another stage then the majority of the crowd will be happy.

Also the reason acts like Bruce Springsteen don't poll high on their surveys is because they send said surveys out to the people who booked tickets for the same/previous year, who in theory would already be relatively happy with the calibre of acts they have dished up that year. They will never attract a bigger crowd if they continue to ask the same people who they want to see. Insanity - Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

This is the same festival who in the last 10 years have booked Bowie, The Who, RATM & REM to headline - I can't imagine any of these acts would be considered in the current "demographic" but all these acts played years when T in the Park sold out before this late in day.

Rant over.

Edited by stu150

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See the whole T "demographic" thing really bugs me - surely a smart business plan would be to attract as many people as possible. If they're not selling out aiming at their current "demographic" they should add acts who would widen said demographic and appeal to more people, and if that includes having an older artist headlining one night (along with a few acts to attract older people dotted out over the weekend) as long as there was someone who was typically a "younger" act on another stage then the majority of the crowd will be happy.

Also the reason acts like Bruce Springsteen don't poll high on their surveys is because they send said surveys out to the people who booked tickets for the same/previous year, who in theory would already be relatively happy with the calibre of acts they have dished up that year. They will never attract a bigger crowd if they continue to ask the same people who they want to see.

This is the same festival who in the last 10 years have booked Bowie, The Who, RATM & REM to headline - I can't imagine any of these acts would be considered in the current "demographic" but all these acts played years when T in the Park sold out before this late in day.

Rant over.

They made a late June announcement last year (30th) so Im guessing maybe Monday or Tuesday or even tomorrow we will get the remaining acts, kind of gutted about Earl pulling out he is actually pretty decent and would have been my first act I ever would have seen in the Slam tent, will probably be Tyler the Creator now unless he pulls out aswell

I just want T to go back to the days of looking at the lineup and easily beating every other festival lineup in the UK. And the amazing headliners it has had. It's always had pop/dance/rock, they should keep it that way and get the best of all genres!

Edited by Muddyfields

I would agree with the above. Been to 10 T in the parks, last one was about 3 or 4 years ago. I always loved T and seen a big variety of acts over the years that would otherwise cost me a fortune to see each at their own gigs. Because of the spread of music it used to have it was quite good to also go and see something you wouldn't otherwise watch, knowing you had the music you did like there to fall back on.

My last T was when we were struggling to find something decent to watch on the Sunday. Nothing on any of the main stages grabbed our attention and we ended up watching 3 bands in succession in the T Break tent. Nothing wrong with that, and the bands were very good but having to revert to the T break stage for most of the afternoon didn't match up with the price we had paid for the weekend, when only a few years before we were struggling to choose who to go and watch. I know you can't please all the people all of the time, but never before had I struggled to decide who to go and watch at a festival, and I have quite a broad musical taste.

I will always defend T as having been one of the better festivals, and used to get fed up with people who knocked it, but who had never actually been. I have alot of happy memories of T for various reasons, but fear that Geoff Ellis is slowly ruining it due to the moneygrabbing attitude that has crept in. He seems to be targetting the young fans only, and forgetting about the older music fans without whom he wouldn't have a festival in the first place, because they are the ones who have gone back year after year, maybe until about now.

Edited by frankblack

I'm sure T will be ace. It always is. At some point though you have to question what you are being given for what you are paying. This year it's considerably less than in previous years. I'm sure if I went I would have an ace time (again) but I would be lining the pockets of GE for treating me with disdain and feeding me shite. Just can't do it, not when there is competition. You go and you have the ace time you deserve cos when you do actually get a worthy line up in future years you'll have to buy a thesaurus to find better words than ace :)

I'm sure T will be ace. It always is. At some point though you have to question what you are being given for what you are paying. This year it's considerably less than in previous years. I'm sure if I went I would have an ace time (again) but I would be lining the pockets of GE for treating me with disdain and feeding me shite. Just can't do it, not when there is competition. You go and you have the ace time you deserve cos when you do actually get a worthy line up in future years you'll have to buy a thesaurus to find better words than ace :)

Lol mediocre....? Thesaurus....? Lmao. How rude. Jst admit It Yous must be past It. Think ya know It all, festivals Have moved on a bit an yer dummies oot The pram. Folk come here lookin for current info on The upcoming event an Get mostly negative chat an Shit about nxt year. Lol!

Lol mediocre....? Thesaurus....? Lmao. How rude. Jst admit It Yous must be past It. Think ya know It all, festivals Have moved on a bit an yer dummies oot The pram. Folk come here lookin for current info on The upcoming event an Get mostly negative chat an Shit about nxt year. Lol!