Mobile phone recommendations for a festival...

Guest efcfanwirral

Put this on the V forum but thought id stick it here too as its a lot more active!

my old Sony Ericsson K850i has served me well at festivals for a good few years, but now the battery compartment is broken to the point where the battery slips out regularly and obviously it switches off. the great thing about this phone was the fact i could buy extra batteries on ebay.

so...searches throw up various different phones so im wondering if anybody has any recommendations? £30 or less and really the only thing that i need is a phone that has either an amazing battery life, or i can buy extra battery for it.

i know i shouldnt be taking a phone at all, but only two of us going to V, we'll definitely want to see some different things at times and my gf wont be too happy at being left alone all day if we dont meet up! and at leeds i know a few separate people ill want to meet up with...

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walk into phones4u or carphone warhouse or something and ask for the cheapest phone that has a 4-day battery life. That's what I did and I got one for £20 with £10 credit on that has a battery life of ~ 1 week with standard usage.

Nowt wrong with taking a phone, although I'd say taking a smartphone is a pretty pointless risk.

And without wanting to accuse you of spamming, you really should have either posted this in the discussions forum or asked Neil's permission to post across multiple fest boards. It's not like it's directly relevant to any in particular.

My faithful old Nokia fell apart and I was persuaded to get an HTC Wildfire. I hate it. Crap battery life and thousands of features I don't use - like it tells me what the weather is outside. I can look out of the window if I want to know that.

I think I'll got for an old something for fests.

Walk into phones4u or carphone warhouse or something and ask for the cheapest phone that has a 4-day battery life. That's what I did and I got one for £20 with £10 credit on that has a battery life of ~ 1 week with standard usage.

Nowt wrong with taking a phone, although I'd say taking a smartphone is a pretty pointless risk.

And without wanting to accuse you of spamming, you really should have either posted this in the discussions forum or asked Neil's permission to post across multiple fest boards. It's not like it's directly relevant to any in particular.

True - I'd delete the V one if i could (if anyone with that power is reading can you?) - nobody replied yet and got an answer here incredibly quick!

They do phones with 1 week battery life now?! I've definitely been using the iPhone for too long (which, as has been stated, I'd never consider taking to a festival) - thanks for the advice, i didnt even realise it was possible to get a phone with such a great battery life, assumed we were still on a 2 day-ish max like it was years ago!

mods - can you move/delete as you see fit?

That's more through luck than anything else. Plenty people, including myself, have had expensive phones stolen. A cheap phone will do everything you'll need at a festival. I even swap my SIM across so I don't have to change number.

Edited by kev1664

It's cheaper to buy a shit phone to take to festivals than to charge up a smartphone every day once you get to the course of several festivals.

And depending on the smartphone, it can be cheaper than buying a spare battery. Isn't it impossible to replace it on the iPhone without breaking warranty/sending it to Apple?

It's cheaper to buy a shit phone to take to festivals than to charge up a smartphone every day once you get to the course of several festivals.

And depending on the smartphone, it can be cheaper than buying a spare battery. Isn't it impossible to replace it on the iPhone without breaking warranty/sending it to Apple?

I prefer the term smartphone, by using a name brand to describe all products of that type it makes them synonymous and gives an unfair advantage whilst also being inaccurate just like people saying Hoover, Rollerblades & Walkman to mean vacuum cleaner, in line skates & cassette player. I remember Sony lost the rights to Walkman in Oz as it was so overly used. xD

I prefer the term smartphone, by using a name brand to describe all products of that type it makes them synonymous and gives an unfair advantage whilst also being inaccurate just like people saying Hoover, Rollerblades & Walkman to mean vacuum cleaner, in line skates & cassette player. I remember Sony lost the rights to Walkman in Oz as it was so overly used. xD