2013?

Guest Whittick

The Stevie/Cure argument just isn't going to cut it. Yes they are both iconic acts, yes they have both sold lots of records (more then Arcade Fire), yes they've both headlined bigger festivals resently....but they are past their best, they are booked primarily as nostaliga/legend acts and they probably don't cost all that much compared to larger acts!

Bestival can get bands like that and it fits into their remit. Bestival does not get bands like, Kings of Leon, Kasabian, Muse, Arctic Monkeys, Coldplay, Bruce Springsteen, The Stone Roses, Blur because they are HUGE bands who probably cost a large amount to book and who also would be highly sought after by bigger promoters with more money or a better reputation/benefits (like Glasto).

Arcade Fire are now in this category until their star fades or they release a shitty album. They are massive, their next album will be hugely anticipated, why would they (or their managment) choose to headline bestival for a smaller fee when they could play Glasto and get TV coverage followed by Hard Rock calling in the same weekend and clean up financially? Or Isle of Wight where they'll gain exposure to new audiences and again get paid the big bucks?

Acts like the Cure and Stevie have secured their legacy, they've made their money and earned their reputation, their best days musically are behind them which means they can't charge quite so much...not only that but they are in a great position to help out a slightly smaller festival like Bestival...which is what they've done effectively. Arcade Fire would be total numpties to do the same thing.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I would say if I had to pick one fault with an otherwise good post (apart from the dodgy list of bands you implied were current) it'd be that Arcade Fire aren't quite as big as the other huge acts you said. They are big, probably too big for Bestival but there's a slim chance.

I usually ask my mum when I want to know if a band has broken into the mainstream or not. Arcade Fire, since the brits, have broken into the realms of 'yeah I like a bit of Arcade Fire'. This is several steps behind actually knowing any of their songs or owning any of their music though, which is the level most major festival headliners would be at. Bestival headliners are usually at the level of "aren't they one of those bands you like?".

Edited by Bradders

:lol: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol:

Stevie will have been phenomenally expensive. And older acts charge HUGE prices. Look at the ticket prices for Rolling Stones, Rush, Roger Waters, etc.

And I'm amused that you describe them as nostalgia/legend acts and then include the likes of Bruce Springsteen and Stone Roses as huge acts who get sought after by the bigger set.

Also, are Arcade Fire really as huge as that lot? I don't notice myself hearing their songs everywhere like with the others you've listed.

Such bollocks. Most people with a passing interest in modern guitar music could name at least a couple of Coldplay, Kings of Leon, Muse and Arctic Monkeys tracks. But Arcade Fire? Nah. When they headlined Reading, they played to a relatively sparse crowd, while Pendulum were on the 2nd stage.

As far as Arcade Fire headlining Bestival is concerned; if we are going to get all rock/ folk next year, Rob would surely be better off getting Mumford & Sons in who are known to most UK festival goers, likely to sell more tickets and possibly cheaper.

:lol: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol:

Stevie will have been phenomenally expensive. And older acts charge HUGE prices. Look at the ticket prices for Rolling Stones, Rush, Roger Waters, etc.

And I'm amused that you describe them as nostalgia/legend acts and then include the likes of Bruce Springsteen and Stone Roses as huge acts who get sought after by the bigger set.

Also, are Arcade Fire really as huge as that lot? I don't notice myself hearing their songs everywhere like with the others you've listed.

Edited by jump

As far as Arcade Fire headlining Bestival is concerned; if we are going to get all rock/ folk next year, Rob would surely be better off getting Mumford & Sons in who are known to most UK festival goers, likely to sell more tickets and possibly cheaper.

Depending on their next album, they could easily (sadly) cost more than Arcade Fire.

Arcade Fire are a possibility just because although they are rather big now, they are a bit different and still slightly outside of the mainstream....

As for Stevie Wonder, I bet he costs a fair whack...probs more than Arcade Fire and in the last 4 years has headlined glasto, played hyde park and done the o2? (Bit like Arcade Fire who headlined a smaller festival and got a small crowd..no disrespect to them, the people who didn't go are idiots)

First of all, the list of bands that I included were what I'd considered some of the top drawing bands of recent years, I listed them regardless of genre/age etc etc, they were all there to be examples of bands which I believe to be out of Bestivals reach and probably highly sought after (not a list of none nostalgia acts).

Secondly, I don't think ALL older acts would cost less, of course the Stones, Waters etc are going to cost loads! I just theorised that the likes of Stevie and the Cure probably cost a damn site less then the other bands I listed as they are less sought after. Why? Because in the Cures case they're not quite as popular in the mainsteam as those other bands listed and and in Stevie's case because he's not released any new material since 2005 and lets face it, can you name a single track of that album? He's going to be doing the same or similar set that lots of people would have seen him do at Hyde Park/Glasto in 2010 and for that reason he's less of a draw and probably costs less!

Springsteen just released a new album and has been away longer then Stevie (just a year granted)

The Stones haven't toured for years and it's their 50th aniversary

Blur have "reformed" are still pretty huge and are playing the Olympic closing gig.

The Stone Roses are arguably one of the biggest reformations EVER

Kings of Leon, Kasabian, Muse, Arctic Monkeys, Coldplay are all still releasing albums which are hugely successful in mainstream audiences.

As much as Iove them both, Stevie and The Cure don't really fit into the above catagories hence why Bestival was able to book them! (Also I'm pretty sure Rob Da Bank has been trying to get The Cure for years and it seems they did him a favour)

My point is not that Arcade Fire ARE as big as those listed, they haven't been around for as long as many of those bands. My point is that they are a band whos stock is on the up, whos last UK shows were at the O2 Arena Hyde Park and Reading Festival respectively and stand to climb further up the ladder with a new album. As much as I love Bestival, it would be a backwards step career wise.

Arcade Fire won't be playing Bestie anytime soon, not unless their new album doesn't cut it.

Was that a bit clearer?

Stevie was affordable because of money saved with New Order (based off interpretations of Neil's posts).

The old ones you're taking about are still old, legend, nostalgia acts that are selling in similar ways to The Cure and Stevie Wonder. Some are bigger, some aren't.

The Stone Roses isn't one of the biggest reformations ever, it's got a lot of press but it isn't in the same league as RATM for instance.

Funeral came out before Whatever People Say... It might have been before Kasabian came out as well. It's not just longevity as to why Arcade Fire aren't as big.

:lol: I'm pretty sure you realise I was referring to KoL, Arctic Monkeys, Muse, Coldplay, etc.

Arcade Fire are an indie band, in the real sense that they are still on an indie label. They may not necessarily be looking to enhance their career in a fame point of view? Also, why couldn't they do Glasto and Bestival? It's not R+L or V, they don't go exclusive on their headliners (see screeching Flo). They would be the big end of a Bestival headliner, but it's a step up from Hyde Park, it has an appropriate audience, and would pay fairly well.

Edited by jump

Arcade Fire are an indie band, in the real sense that they are still on an indie label. They may not necessarily be looking to enhance their career in a fame point of view? Also, why couldn't they do Glasto and Bestival? It's not R+L or V, they don't go exclusive on their headliners (see screeching Flo). They would be the big end of a Bestival headliner, but it's a step up from Hyde Park, it has an appropriate audience, and would pay fairly well.

Justice Force Dave you do put up a convicing argument, to say that Arcade Fire are as much of an attraction in the UK as Kings of Leon or Blur is somewhat deluded.

They may be talented and their stock maybe on the up, but they are simply not as popular as you think they are.

I do agree that they wont be at Bestival but for different reasons to yourself.

Edited by hawkzred

I'm not sure I agree with Rage's reformation being bigger than Stone Roses, probably world wide yeah but I remember the front man of Kaiserchiefs slagging them off saying something along the lines of "why are they headlining TITP, they've only got 1 song" which was a common sentiment at the time in the UK.

I wouldn't say Bestival is a step up from a Hyde Park solo show, Hyde Park has a bigger capacity and they would get more money from their own show that size.