2013?

Guest Whittick

Only in terms of British music. Stone Roses are irrelevant internationally. Absolutely irrelevant.

On the Arcade Fire front, they're an international band, with fans internationally and looking for international support. Their choices and agent's choices etc. will not be based purely on exposure to a British audience. Glasto will get them more international coverage, and there is no way they'd pick Bestival over Glasto. However, Solo Hyde Park shows won't, Bestival will, like European festivals would. If they're as huge and oversized as people say they are, they could do both, with other European festivals in between as a continental tour, and if they aren't, then they could do Bestival in a year they don't do Glasto.

Edited by jump

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People are overestimating the size of Arcade Fire. When they headlined R+L a couple of years back, I seem to remember there being a great big furore over the fact they were too small. They're an acquired taste. I'd love them to be there but I doubt they will; the way things are panning out and the fact Bestival is looking less and less likely to sell out this year would tell me that it's going to be cut price headliners/one legend until they get back on their feet like every other festival, if they get back at all.

I think if Rob were going to try and book a band for next year, it wouldn't be Arcade Fire anyway purely because the more logical choice would be Depeche Mode, and if Rob blows his money on getting them he won't be able to afford Arcade Fire. By this logic, Mumford & Sons would be a GIANT step backwards but I could see them headlining; same with Dizzie Rascal. Wouldn't surprise me if Pulp or Portishead made an appearance too on the Sunday.

People are overestimating the size of Arcade Fire. When they headlined R+L a couple of years back, I seem to remember there being a great big furore over the fact they were too small. They're an acquired taste. I'd love them to be there but I doubt they will; the way things are panning out and the fact Bestival is looking less and less likely to sell out this year would tell me that it's going to be cut price headliners/one legend until they get back on their feet like every other festival, if they get back at all.

I think if Rob were going to try and book a band for next year, it wouldn't be Arcade Fire anyway purely because the more logical choice would be Depeche Mode, and if Rob blows his money on getting them he won't be able to afford Arcade Fire. By this logic, Mumford & Sons would be a GIANT step backwards but I could see them headlining; same with Dizzie Rascal. Wouldn't surprise me if Pulp or Portishead made an appearance too on the Sunday.

I dont agree with the assumed 'no repeat headliner' rule at Bestival. As a festival it has been operating less than 10 years so it unlikely to have had repeat headliners as yet. If however Dizzee, Chems, Prodigy are touring new material and are going to sell tickets, then there is every chance that they could be back at Bestival within future years.

Edited by hawkzred

Edited by hawkzred

I dont agree with the assumed 'no repeat headliner' rule at Bestival. As a festival it has been operating less than 10 years so it unlikely to have had repeat headliners as yet. If however Dizzee, Chems, Prodigy are touring new material and are going to sell tickets, then there is every chance that they could be back at Bestival within future years.

As far as repeat headliners go, Bestival will have to at some point - not through choice, mind you, but lack of it. It's a festival that's run by a DJ and as such it's trying to be ahead of the curve at all times by attempting to be cutting edge with the bands it showcases, but unfortunately there just aren't that many new headline-ready bands. There are obviously plenty of chances for Bestival to give bands a punt but being a major festival that ultimately thrives on the quality of it's showcase acts, it's far too risky.

Ticket prices will go up in 2013 too, as will cost of getting over there... now isn't the time to take a punt on The Vaccines, or whatever bullshit Radio 1 thinks people should listen to. At the same time, however, you can't take a punt on heritage acts like Isle of Wight did this year; I mean, how many hipsters are going to buy a ticket to see Dolly Parton, Neil Young & Crazy Horse and Nick Cave? I know I would, but a lot wouldn't.

Eventually but as most of the headliners he get's aren't the likes of Metallica, Muse, Coldplay etc there a much bigger field to chose from. The bigger worry is when they run out of dance acts big enough to headline, do you put David Guetta as the token dance headliner or go fuck it, let's get Chems back?