final announcement

Guest Velvet Overground

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three years of Allo Darlin is probably too much, but then I have already seen them this year. I am hoping for Paul Thomas Saunders, Laura J Martin and a return of This is The Kit who clashed with AD last year. Flaming Lips.....I hope not

Edited by perfectpassion

No Pieminister at NDH, either. The pies that replaced them were adequate, but nothing beats the Pieminister. Especially not their olive/chorizo pie.

I will optimistically predict Patti Smith, Frightened Rabbit and Half Man Half Biscuit.

And even though two of my all-time favourite albums are by the Flaming Lips, I could honestly do without seeing them ever again, unless they start concentrating on playing music rather than rolling around the crowd in giant inflatable balls and doing 10 false endings to each song, just to milk the cheers. (It occurs to me that FL would be great if they played an all-night set where everyone was on acid. But as they mostly play regular venues that close at 11 and serve over-priced beer, it'd be great to just see them play some songs).

I love The Flaming Lips, and have enjoyed their live show. Haven't seen them since the Yoshimi tour though, and things look like they've gone even madder. I'd like to experience it again, but can understand why their shtick might frustrate.

Nothing will top seeing them before The Soft Bulletin in that tiny room at Camber Sands for the Bowlie Weekender. No theatrics, and I only knew "She Don't Use Jelly" at the time, but walked away utterly mesmerised. A truly special show.

And even though two of my all-time favourite albums are by the Flaming Lips, I could honestly do without seeing them ever again, unless they start concentrating on playing music rather than rolling around the crowd in giant inflatable balls and doing 10 false endings to each song, just to milk the cheers. (It occurs to me that FL would be great if they played an all-night set where everyone was on acid. But as they mostly play regular venues that close at 11 and serve over-priced beer, it'd be great to just see them play some songs).

For those who haven't seen:

Plus 3 winners of the band application process:

Gravenhurst, Coxon and Woods are all good additions for me. Don't know anything by the others, so looking forward to investigating. Always suspected it would be a relatively low-key announcement, but it's still a good one, imo.

Means we've still got those two BU artists and Brakes to come, and who knows, maybe more.

Edited by shoebox

One of those announcements that initially doesn't excite too much but no doubt will do more so after listening to some of the bands. Patrick Watson and Gravenhurst both certainly sound interesting on paper. Any recommendations on where to start with either of these? Also, same question for Graham Coxon, someone I've always quite liked but never really given time to his solo stuff...

A big fan of Woods but thought they were quite disappointing last year, hopefully they have opted to return to make amends!

Apart from Coxon, still not much in terms of bigger names for the Saturday and Sunday, slightly worried most of the bands I want to see will be on Friday!