final announcement

Guest Velvet Overground

I tweeted EOTR asking when they would announce the 3rd headliner and the remaining acts. They responded with "by 1st July".

So - a little while to wait yet (think pretty much all of the bands were announced by this time last year, aside from the Thursday nighters?).

Guess it could be sooner (any time between now and 1st July would count as "by 1st July", if I'm being pedantically literal) but on the strength of this I'll ease up on checking Twitter / this board / my e-mail every half an hour for the announcement!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I had thought that too. I would imagine they'll wait until we've been to NDH (for those of us who are indeed going), at whch point we'll have the customary depression associated with having to go back to work rather than sitting in a field, drinking cider and listening to great music, and cheer us all up with a blow-your-socks-off announcement.

Ever the optimist.

I hope so Velvet, since I'm one of those who's a little underwhelmed by the card so far. This is my fifth EOTR and I'm probably feeling the least excited ever, though that's also probably because it's lost a little something since the headliners were taken from the Garden Stage. There are always a bunch of great discoveries to be made, but I wish there were a few more certainties in the bag by now.

I agree: I accept (although don't necessarily agree with) the festival's need to change, and I am sure that is partially the driver behind NDH - to get back to the 'intimate' feel that EOTR has lost a little since the introduction of the Woods stage, however this year the expansion doesn't appear to be matched with the quality of acts high up the bill for me. Last year, I could see where the budget went, even though not everything was to my taste; this year is less convincing. I don't know - maybe it's a personal thing.

However, on the positive side, this year I will be much more inclined to go and see some smaller, new-to-me bands, and so will probably make a load of great discoveries (for instance, good as they are, I won't imagine I'll watch Midlake, John Grant etc, nor will I go to see again the bands who also appear at NDH) which will make me much more flexible about the music I see.

Having said that, plans always change at the last minute, on account of whimsy, caprice and hot cider consumption.

after looking at the spotify playlist I have noticed a pattern. The three headliners Grandaddy,Grizzly Bear and Midlake at the top. As we know Tindersticks are co headliners with Grizzly and Beach House is second to Midlake but noone 4 Grandaddy yet so one more big band to announce then the next list Dirty Three(friday) then Mark Lanegan then another friday band Van Dyke so another gap I might b totally wrong but I believe some larger bands still 2 b announced. I am like alot of you guys finding some right gems lower down in the line-up

after looking at the spotify playlist I have noticed a pattern. The three headliners Grandaddy,Grizzly Bear and Midlake at the top. As we know Tindersticks are co headliners with Grizzly and Beach House is second to Midlake but noone 4 Grandaddy yet so one more big band to announce then the next list Dirty Three(friday) then Mark Lanegan then another friday band Van Dyke so another gap I might b totally wrong but I believe some larger bands still 2 b announced. I am like alot of you guys finding some right gems lower down in the line-up

i think this has been mentioned before, but any sense there might be a little bit of cross subsidy for the NDH bands budget from eotr?

btw before this sounds like a whinge, i'm one who is pretty happy with the lineup tbh (and i will be getting to NDH if i can).

This is probably my favourite End of the Road line-up ever I think. Not only is my favourite band playing (Tindersticks) but the quality and consistency of the undercard is amazing. The bands may not be quite as big this year but there are some real gems in there - the new Francois & The Atlas Mountains and Deep Dark Woods albums are two of the best I've heard all year.

Listened to 'The Echo Show' by Yeti Lane for the first time the other day as well. Had originally written them off after being unimpressed by their debut but now they're firmly on my 'to see' list.

From the NDH line up, I'm really enjoying Boat to Row and Cold Specks, and from EOTR I'm excited about Deep Dark Woods and Moulettes. All of these are new to me (and there are many others at the bottom end of the billing who sound great). On reflection, I'm excited at the prospect of catching some new-favourite-bands! :prankster:

Midlake have done nothing new since last year and are now deemed headliner material!?! Not only getting bands back but elevating the repetition to a higher spot!?!

Not that I really care, I wasn't there last year so I will be happy to see them and I don't think headliners are too important. Worried that EOTR is becoming less and less interesting and original though...