The Dirty Independence Question

Kyelo

2 minutes ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

Maybe your right Neil. Maybe they could follow Labours lead and just abstain. Or, they could stand up for the less well off ( and the foxes ) and try and act like an opposition.

That's fine. They shouldn't have spouted all the bollocks about not voting on non-Scottish devolved issues then, should they?

I agree with you that the Tories are " getting away with so much more ". To me it seems a bit daft to blame Scotland ( who sent down 1 ( one ) Tory MP ) or the SNP who oppose them at every turn but I realise by now that blame them you will.

You like to pretend that just because Scotland is voting nationalist England isn't going to. It doesn't work like that.

When one group of people see another putting themselves first and trying to gain an advantageous position over others, they think 'fuck that' and do the same.

Now, we can argue which side might have more moral right to claim first on the 'seeing others putting themselves first' thing, but it would be stupid to argue there's not that affect, ever-escalating as grievances (whether true or false, ir doesn't much matter) are whipped up on both sides.

The effect of the SNP is a bigger tory vote, whether you like it or not.

You also appear to have done a pretty decent job on here of defending some of the stuff the Tories have done.

:rolleyes:

The normal fact-free bullshit from a snipper.

Yeah it was terrible of me, defending a wage rise for 6 million people, and the effect of putting employers back on the hook for wages.

Of course, if Scotland had voted for Indy then the Tories wouldn`t be having some of these problems. It`s all a bit ironic ;)

If Scotland had a sensible plan, perhaps it might have done.

All the while you cling to the fantasy that there's any sort of plan that'll work that's not a massive impact onto Scotland you help ensure the next indyref loss, too.

13 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Scottish Labour and the LibDems are fuck all to do with this. They're not the party of govt, and they're not the ones who acted improperly. I'm quite happy to criticise any party or individuals who who don't act as they should. :rolleyes:

Since we are in the Independent Scotland thread do you have a view on the developments this past week or so up here with Labour or the Lib Dems. I`m sure you admire or atleast agree with NS who has believed passionately in no nukes since she was at school.

The other weekend we had the Labour leader change her life-long held pro-nukes opinion overnight ( literally ) as she surprised us all and voted against the renewal of Trident. I saw her on the box in the run up to the vote backing renewal. Perhaps she realised she was well out of step with her party / country so changed her mind. You don`t like my principles.... I have others she may or may not have said.

More recently ( yesterday ) we had the 1 Scottish Lib MP admitting that he`s had a " difficult few months " and that his misleading of a cabinet office investigation was " calculated and intended to mislead ".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-34777085.-

I`s sure you will agree that when Scotland becomes Indy then these parties will have a major part to play so it`s important we keep an eye on all developments. As I`ve said before, with Indy Labour can stop chasing the middle englanders ( hows that going ) and become a real force again up here. They are a mess and need to realise that the SNP bad tactic ( I suspect you are aware of it ;) ) shows no signs of working. Ask Jimbo !

Out of interest, do you agree with Dugdale or Sturgeon on the nukes ?

...............Just as we were about to leave, Mr Kelso pulled from his bag a surprise for his former pupil - an essay about Trident nuclear missiles that she'd written nearly 30 years ago. It could easily have been a speech from her recent election campaigning.

She had written: "I would strongly recommend on economic moral and political grounds that the government do not go ahead with the purchase and installation of the US Trident missile system."

A stunned first minister was clearly rather proud to discover that her views haven't changed.

"This is incredible. Well nobody can say I've not been consistent!"

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

Since we are in the Independent Scotland thread do you have a view on the developments this past week or so up here with Labour or the Lib Dems. I`m sure you admire or atleast agree with NS who has believed passionately in no nukes since she was at school.

The other weekend we had the Labour leader change her life-long held pro-nukes opinion overnight ( literally ) as she surprised us all and voted against the renewal of Trident. I saw her on the box in the run up to the vote backing renewal. Perhaps she realised she was well out of step with her party / country so changed her mind. You don`t like my principles.... I have others she may or may not have said.

More recently ( yesterday ) we had the 1 Scottish Lib MP admitting that he`s had a " difficult few months " and that his misleading of a cabinet office investigation was " calculated and intended to mislead ".

I`s sure you will agree that when Scotland becomes Indy then these parties will have a major part to play so it`s important we keep an eye on all developments. As I`ve said before, with Indy Labour can stop chasing the middle englanders ( hows that going ) and become a real force again up here. They are a mess and need to realise that the SNP bad tactic ( I suspect you are aware of it ;) ) shows no signs of working. Ask Jimbo !

...............Just as we were about to leave, Mr Kelso pulled from his bag a surprise for his former pupil - an essay about Trident nuclear missiles that she'd written nearly 30 years ago. It could easily have been a speech from her recent election campaigning.

She had written: "I would strongly recommend on economic moral and political grounds that the government do not go ahead with the purchase and installation of the US Trident missile system."

A stunned first minister was clearly rather proud to discover that her views haven't changed.

So you get indy to get control of some issues, and you loose all control over plenty of others. :rolleyes:

It's no different to UKIP's claims about how the UK will be glorious again if only we controlled everything within our boundaries - while ignoring all of the things that all control and influence is lost for, and pretending all of those things are an unimportant nothing that brings nothing bad.

Of course, what the SNP say gets more laughable than even UKIP, because at least their 'leave' idea does actually achieve their primary objectives. The Scottish leave idea has Scotland leaving the things that Scotland claims are vitally important.

I'll remind you that polling in Scotland suggests the majority in Scotland are (with everything in context) happy to keep the nukes on Scottish soil - and yet again you're over-playing the minority view.

And of that minority view, most of its driven by false grievance anyway, via the myth that England wouldn't put anything like that near big centres of population, when England puts the nukes much nearer to much larger population centres AND when the nukes are in a more dangerous and volatile state.

23 hours ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

You quoted the above Neil and posted this reply.....

12 hours ago, eFestivals said:

So you get indy to get control of some issues, and you loose all control over plenty of others. :rolleyes:

It's no different to UKIP's claims about how the UK will be glorious again if only we controlled everything within our boundaries - while ignoring all of the things that all control and influence is lost for, and pretending all of those things are an unimportant nothing that brings nothing bad.

Of course, what the SNP say gets more laughable than even UKIP, because at least their 'leave' idea does actually achieve their primary objectives. The Scottish leave idea has Scotland leaving the things that Scotland claims are vitally important.

I'll remind you that polling in Scotland suggests the majority in Scotland are (with everything in context) happy to keep the nukes on Scottish soil - and yet again you're over-playing the minority view.

And of that minority view, most of its driven by false grievance anyway, via the myth that England wouldn't put anything like that near big centres of population, when England puts the nukes much nearer to much larger population centres AND when the nukes are in a more dangerous and volatile state.

A simple " no " would have done :)

12 hours ago, eFestivals said:

May I also remind you the reality, never mind your " context ", is that the SNP stood loud and clear on a NO renewal of Trident ticket. From 6 seats at the previous GE they took 56 of the 59.

Scottish Labour recently voted 70/30 NOT to renew. The Tories are the only supporters of nucleur weapons up here and have 1(one) seat.

Would you mind explaining how I`m " over-playing the minority view ".

25 minutes ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

May I also remind you the reality, never mind your " context ", is that the SNP stood loud and clear on a NO renewal of Trident ticket. From 6 seats at the previous GE they took 56 of the 59.

Scottish Labour recently voted 70/30 NOT to renew. The Tories are the only supporters of nucleur weapons up here and have 1(one) seat.

& the one Labour mp is firmly anti trident.

So, by Neil's logic in the same way as the UK has a democratic mandate in favour of trident, Scotland (if only it existed) has an anti-trident mandate.

But, wait a minute we also have a pro independence mandate.

Amazing!

Shame we don't exist.

votes for the SNP are not single issue votes just about nukes. The policies that any party adopt are not necessarily majority supported policies.

What is it that's new to you about politics? :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, LJS said:

& the one Labour mp is firmly anti trident.

So, by Neil's logic in the same way as the UK has a democratic mandate in favour of trident, Scotland (if only it existed) has an anti-trident mandate.

But, wait a minute we also have a pro independence mandate.

Amazing!

Shame we don't exist.

democracy is the majority view, LJS. :rolleyes;

You seem to have forgotten what democracy is or decided you no longer believe in it, instead believing that policies you support should be imposed by a dictator.

You made that clear the other day, when you supported JC's nuke stance that is the removal of nukes on his say so and not via the will of parliament.

All you need to do now is explain how dictatorships are the better kind of politics you say you support.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

democracy is the majority view, LJS. :rolleyes;

You seem to have forgotten what democracy is or decided you no longer believe in it, instead believing that policies you support should be imposed by a dictator.

You made that clear the other day, when you supported JC's nuke stance that is the removal of nukes on his say so and not via the will of parliament.

All you need to do now is explain how dictatorships are the better kind of politics you say you support.

I would do if what you have said bore any relation to mg views. As usual you are just making stuff up.

2 minutes ago, LJS said:

I would do if what you have said bore any relation to mg views. As usual you are just making stuff up.

You supported JC's over-riding of democracy, just because it was a policy you support. :rolleyes:

That part I didn't make up, but don't let the facts stop you pretending.

Likewise, the fact that Scotland might have a majority of MPs that are anti-nuke means fuck all on any democratic basis, because there is no such thing as Scotland in the UK parliament, there is only the UK.

I'll remind you that Scotland voted to remain a part of the UK, and that what seems to be a clear majority for 'devo max', 'federalism' or anything else devolved would leave defence matters with Westminster.

But hey, you're Scottish and what Scotland wants it deserves even when that over-rides democracy. :rolleyes:

just posting this here to annoy LJS.

Over half of Scots surveyed would vote SNP in next election, says poll

And once his excitement about the headline has subsided, perhaps he'll spend a moment to read the detail and understand what it's saying..?

Cos in the claimed new politically-engaged Scotland, one third of Scots don't even know who the leader of the third biggest party in Scotland is - and it's worth remembering that she's not a new leader but someone who's been that leader for many years, and someone who was a leader in Scottish politics at the time of the indyref.

Which reflects back onto the meaning of the lauding of Sturgeon by so many in that poll. It's not political support that she has, but a mindless fan club, of types who like <insert most dreadful pop act you can think of here> and say it's a fantastic tune but have never listened to Pink Floyd.

(PS: I'm not claiming the tories as Pink Floyd, btw. That's the type of thought the mindless pop fans would take from what i've said there, precisely because they're mindless).

11 hours ago, eFestivals said:

just posting this here to annoy LJS.

Over half of Scots surveyed would vote SNP in next election, says poll

And once his excitement about the headline has subsided, perhaps he'll spend a moment to read the detail and understand what it's saying..?

Cos in the claimed new politically-engaged Scotland, one third of Scots don't even know who the leader of the third biggest party in Scotland is - and it's worth remembering that she's not a new leader but someone who's been that leader for many years, and someone who was a leader in Scottish politics at the time of the indyref.

Which reflects back onto the meaning of the lauding of Sturgeon by so many in that poll. It's not political support that she has, but a mindless fan club, of types who like <insert most dreadful pop act you can think of here> and say it's a fantastic tune but have never listened to Pink Floyd.

(PS: I'm not claiming the tories as Pink Floyd, btw. That's the type of thought the mindless pop fans would take from what i've said there, precisely because they're mindless).

Oh Neil :(, you are not taking this well.

Were you not " hearing" a few months back that their support had reached a natural ceiling at around 40%. These figures are incredible though. 58% heading into the Scottish election. 

Did you not also predict that the Tories were going to catch Labour ?

I`ve had a look at the numbers and it`s pretty clear what Scotland is saying. You just can`t hear it from a way down there. 

67% of the good folks of Glasgow predicted to vote for the SNP would have been crazy talk 5 years ago but the number that stands out for me is 75% of 16-34 year olds are planning on voting SNP. Considering they have been in power up here for so long that is incredible scenes. Remember you and Russy telling us it was all about greed before the oil price crash :lol:

Is it these young folk or the working class types in Glasgow, Dundee etc that you are describing as a " mindless fan club ". 

Atleast it doesn`t annoy you that they are standing against the Tories and their austerity and trident. Are you worried that the young people of Scotland may threaten the establishment and your beloved union  ;)

Edited by comfortablynumb1910

Were you not " hearing" a few months back that their support had reached a natural ceiling at around 40%.

I'm taking it very well, thanks.

And no, I wasn't hearing that. You must have heard that I was from the voices in your head, the same place where you find the missing £10Bn and excuses for why Sturgeon is bottling holding a guaranteed-win indyref.

These figures are incredible though. 58% heading into the Scottish election. 

No, it's the snippers that have been glorying about having a greater number of Scottish tories after 30 years of pretending they don't exist.

More voices in your head.

I`ve had a look at the numbers and it`s pretty clear what Scotland is saying. You just can`t hear it from a way down there. 

I'm hearing it.

It's saying that Scotland is as politically ignorant as it ever was, like anywhere else and there's been no political awakening. It's saying that Scotland lauds Sturgeon not because of her policies but because of something much more mindless.

Remember you and Russy telling us it was all about greed before the oil price crash :lol:

If it isn't, why don't want the SNP want FFA today?

Might it be because they know your greed won't allow you to be poorer in Scotland under their policies? Might it be because they know that exposing the greed scenario will see the end of them?

Or is it because their policies are so perfect they scare the perfect SNP into writing Westminster bill amendments that say "we're doing nothing because we can't afford to because we've been lying"?

Is it these young folk or the working class types in Glasgow, Dundee etc that you are describing as a " mindless fan club ". 

I don't have a breakdown of who the mindless were in that poll, just that the poll proved there's a huge number of them.

But if you want to say the mindless are folks like you, feel free. :)

Atleast it doesn`t annoy you that they are standing against the Tories and their austerity and trident. Are you worried that the young people of Scotland may threaten the establishment and your beloved union  ;)

They're standing against austerity by having more austere policies than Labour - or are the IFS liars again today? - and by pretending that their stated-desired* 15% cut in Scottish spending is money from heaven.

(* but not requested at Westminster. How very odd, anyone might think they have a bunch of numpties on a string of lies)

But never let the facts put your fantasies down, that would never do.

Edited by eFestivals

Nicola Sturgeon has no political support in Scotland. Aye, that sounds about right. 

#fingeronthepulse  :o

when 30% have of Scots have proven themselves as ignorant of Scottish politics, then a greater amount* of Sturgeon's support is not political support.
(* because it's not the tory voters who are ignorant of the tory leader is it?)

What have you missed? Oh, everything.

But in March 2016 you won't be missing the oil money, because luckily for you most Scots are smarter than you.

23 hours ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

Were you not " hearing" a few months back that their support had reached a natural ceiling at around 40%. These figures are incredible though. 58% heading into the Scottish election. 

I'm taking it very well, thanks.

And no, I wasn't hearing that. You must have heard that I was from the voices in your head, the same place where you find the missing £10Bn and excuses for why Sturgeon is bottling holding a guaranteed-win indyref.

No, it's the snippers that have been glorying about having a greater number of Scottish tories after 30 years of pretending they don't exist.

More voices in your head.

Answers on a post card please : Who said this at the beginning of the month ?

You have been paying attention, yeah? Or have you been too busy gloating that tory-free Scotland looks likely to have the tories as its second party?

From the poll you posted the other day we can see the reality of the situation at the moment.

SNP 58 up 2%

Labour 24 up 2%

Tories 12 no change

Libs 4 down 2% - They are having a bit of bother now with their 1 MP as we know but don`t talk about.

The Tories don`t " look likely " to be our 2nd party anytime soon but carry on with your views on how things are up here. Your guess work remains pretty far from what`s actually happening....same as it ever was :)

What have you missed? Oh, everything.

But in March 2016 you won't be missing the oil money, because luckily for you most Scots are smarter than you.

Do you mean the 75% of 16 - 34 year olds I referred to ?...... I bet the vast majority of them are smarter than me ( I am certain that every single one of them is younger than me ) and I for one won`t be standing in their way. I predict that many of them would like to move on from your beloved tory led, wave ruling, proud union. The oil price is down the shitter as our man in London regularly confirms. Support continues to grow. From your bunker down south you bang on about the greed etc. It`s desperate stuff now.

Independence will also lead to a fresh start for Labour up here and they look like they need one. It will also set England free without us subsidy junkies :P  

England , like an Indy Scotland, will be free to take their own path. The Kingdom will be dead but some think the empire died a while ago. Does Dave really need us to keep his place on the world stage these days ? I don`t think so and with the way the numbers are going ( in particular amongst the yoof ) then Dave / Gideon better start planning ahead without us.

Labour up here can look forward to a resurgence I reckon as the SNP will have achieved their main aim and will need to re-invent.

Answers on a post card please : Who said this at the beginning of the month ?

You have been paying attention, yeah? Or have you been too busy gloating that tory-free Scotland looks likely to have the tories as its second party?

No, I was repeating what I see - constantly - from snippers. It's exceedingly clear that they detest Labour more than they do the tories.

If I'm picking this up from England, surely it's not passed you by in Scotland? Perhaps you've stopped reading the myth factory?

Do you mean the 75% of 16 - 34 year olds I referred to ?...... I bet the vast majority of them are smarter than me ( I am certain that every single one of them is younger than me ) and I for one won`t be standing in their way. I predict that many of them would like to move on from your beloved tory led, wave ruling, proud union. The oil price is down the shitter as our man in London regularly confirms. Support continues to grow. From your bunker down south you bang on about the greed etc. It`s desperate stuff now.

Independence will also lead to a fresh start for Labour up here and they look like they need one. It will also set England free without us subsidy junkies :P  

England , like an Indy Scotland, will be free to take their own path. The Kingdom will be dead but some think the empire died a while ago. Does Dave really need us to keep his place on the world stage these days ? I don`t think so and with the way the numbers are going ( in particular amongst the yoof ) then Dave / Gideon better start planning ahead without us.

Labour up here can look forward to a resurgence I reckon as the SNP will have achieved their main aim and will need to re-invent.

If it's not about greed, why do you claim the fact of Scotland's deficit as a meaningless thing?

If it's not about greed, why is WoS now claiming that "billions" can be saved from the defence budget to cover the lost oil revenues - enough to cover the deficit (yet the defence costs do not reach the deficit amount) - when Salmond himself only claimed a £500M saving from defence (and only found that saving by saying rUK would  provide Scotland with defence services for free)?

If it's not about greed, why have WoS stopped saying "the oil price will be back up by March 2016" and are instead now saying that low oil prices will boost the Scottish economy?
(while pretending that rUK won't get a similar - tho [proportionally] much bigger - boost and so the deficit gap between Scotland and rUK grows even further)

[i could go on forever using WoS as the proof of greed, so i'll stop here]

If it's not about greed, why are the SNP running scared from a self-funding Scotland?

If it's not about greed, why are the SNP running scared from the more-minor self-funding within the new Scotland Act?

If it's not about greed, why have you in the past constantly said the oil price willhave risen again by March 2016 to save Scotland from destitution?

And if it's not about greed, why have you now stopped saying that?

If it's not about greed, why do you constantly bang on about "London train sets" and the like?

If it's not about greed, why do you claim iScotland will be a financial success at current spending rates when there's no basis to think so?

FFS. :lol:

Edited by eFestivals

No, I was repeating what I see - constantly - from snippers. It's exceedingly clear that they detest Labour more than they do the tories.

If I'm picking this up from England, surely it's not passed you by in Scotland? Perhaps you've stopped reading the myth factory?

You said, and I quote " Scotland looks likely to have the Tories as it`s second party " I asked you in this thread if that was still your view and you denied saying it. We both knew you had said it but it was in the general thread. I only reduced myself to pulling over the quote as you claimed I was making stuff up or something about voices in my head :o

Do you now accept that given the figures available from the most recent polling ( which you linked to ) this statement appears a bit wide of the mark ( I`m being kind here ) :) Labour +2% ? The Tories remain miles behind.

No point quoting Wings or whatever, as you know I never read that and have never ever linked to it. What do you think ?

I think with Indy Labour will be a force in Scotland while it looks like they are unlikely to win down your way. This doesn`t make me happy no matter what you make up.

3 minutes ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

You said, and I quote " Scotland looks likely to have the Tories as it`s second party " I asked you in this thread if that was still your view and you denied saying it. We both knew you had said it but it was in the general thread. I only reduced myself to pulling over the quote as you claimed I was making stuff up or something about voices in my head :o

Do you now accept that given the figures available from the most recent polling ( which you linked to ) this statement appears a bit wide of the mark ( I`m being kind here ) :) Labour +2% ? The Tories remain miles behind.

No point quoting Wings or whatever, as you know I never read that and have never ever linked to it. What do you think ?

I think with Indy Labour will be a force in Scotland while it looks like they are unlikely to win down your way. This doesn`t make me happy no matter what you make up.

I said more than what you quote, which gives it a completely different meaning to the meaning you sday it has.

Perhaps such a poor understanding of the English language is why you have such difficulty understanding simple ideas?

If it's not about greed, why do you claim the fact of Scotland's deficit as a meaningless thing?

If it's not about greed, why is WoS now claiming that "billions" can be saved from the defence budget to cover the lost oil revenues - enough to cover the deficit (yet the defence costs do not reach the deficit amount) - when Salmond himself only claimed a £500M saving from defence (and only found that saving by saying rUK would  provide Scotland with defence services for free)?

If it's not about greed, why have WoS stopped saying "the oil price will be back up by March 2016" and are instead now saying that low oil prices will boost the Scottish economy?
(while pretending that rUK won't get a similar - tho [proportionally] much bigger - boost and so the deficit gap between Scotland and rUK grows even further)

[i could go on forever using WoS as the proof of greed, so i'll stop here]

If it's not about greed, why are the SNP running scared from a self-funding Scotland?

If it's not about greed, why are the SNP running scared from the more-minor self-funding within the new Scotland Act?

If it's not about greed, why have you in the past constantly said the oil price willhave risen again by March 2016 to save Scotland from destitution?

And if it's not about greed, why have you now stopped saying that?

If it's not about greed, why do you constantly bang on about "London train sets" and the like?

If it's not about greed, why do you claim iScotland will be a financial success at current spending rates when there's no basis to think so?

FFS. :lol:

As you say, you could go on forever...and you probably will. Doesn`t make you right though ;)

You continually say Scots are greedy and it`s all about me me me . You said NS has no political support the other day. I think she is doing an ok job of representing the folk who voted for her party hence their support continues to rise. They have stood against the Tories at every turn and this appears to be gaining them huge support in the 16-34 age bracket. These are the people concerned about where the Tories are taking the UK. Folk in the more affluent areas ( not all of them ) appear to be happy to stick with what we have and we also know from the polls that the oldies with their pensions don`t fancy a change either ( the vast majority of them ).

Nothing you have said in the post above hasn`t been covered already. You know I reckon that it`s not about greed for the vast majority of people who think Scotland could / should be independent and make it`s own path. Your last sentence caught my eye

" why do you claim iScotland will be a financial success at current spending rates when there`s no basis to think so "

You are either dafter than I think you are or you will say anything in your attempts to pour scorn on the possibility that Scotland could manage fine without the union.

Indy Scotland can`t be a "financial  success" with " Current spending "

What in 10/15 years time ???

You need to think that through a bit !