The Dirty Independence Question

Kyelo

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/mr8k4ikbr3/TimesResults_October15_ScotlandVI,tax,parties_w.pdf

Like to keep you up to speed guys.

Some interesting stuff on which parties are most trusted & public attitudes to tax increases.

Enjoy.

Thanks, interesting.

So most people in Scotland don't support paying extra taxes for welfare.

A wishy-washy "extra taxes to spend on something" does better, tho the devil will be in the detail with that. Everyone has their pet ideas.

Meanwhile, away from wishes for nice things at minimal cost to yourselves, there's still the reality of Scotland's huge deficit, where that survey says 45% of Scots would vote for extra poverty and huge spending cuts  ... which rather farts in the face of some of those wishes for nice things, as be both know a sizable proportion will be the same people.

Get back to me when the sums to your dream add up. :)

Those emails reveal that St Nicola's hubby suspended her from her paid job fronting BfS.

How could he do that if BfS was nothing to do with the SNP (of which he was/is chief exec)?

It will be interesting to find out the reasons why hubby suspended her. It won't have been for doing good things, will it?

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/journalist/electoral-commission-media-centre/news-releases-donations/electoral-commission-concludes-assessment-of-allegations-against-business-for-scotland-and-the-scottish-national-party

that just says they didn't break the law, not anything about who might have been pulling the strings, or what lies they might have told.

St Nicola's hubby was pulling the strings, enough to suspend MT from her BfS job.

Edited by eFestivals

that just says they didn't break the law, not anything about who might have been pulling the strings, or what lies they might have told.

St Nicola's hubby was pulling the strings, enough to suspend MT from her BfS job.

of course , Neil.

the words "straws" & "clutching" spring to mind.

What straws do you think I'm clutching? What do you think I've said just there which isn't factually correct?

Those emails reveal that St Nicola's hubby suspended her from her paid job fronting BfS.

How could he do that if BfS was nothing to do with the SNP (of which he was/is chief exec)?

Who has said that BfS wasn't a front for the SNP? The Electoral Commission haven't.

The Electoral Commission said nothing illegal went on, nothing more.

Read what it says. Don't just read the bits you like and then stop thinking.

The Commission has found no evidence during its assessment that the SNP and BFS worked together in a way that broke the law. There is therefore no need to open a full investigation.

Does the added emphasis help you at all?

no. Does it help you realise you were making stuff up?

Again.

Whatever happened to objectivity?

This.

If some of the same things were being done by the tories, the same people would be screeching their heads off.

I'm always amused by how snippers attack Labour much more than they do the tories. It's almost like they've found their nationalist friends.

Putting yourself and your tribe before everyone else is what all nationalists do. It's what the tories do too.

This.

If some of the same things were being done by the tories, the same people would be screeching their heads off.

I'm always amused by how snippers attack Labour much more than they do the tories. It's almost like they've found their nationalist friends.

Putting yourself and your tribe before everyone else is what all nationalists do. It's what the tories do too.

they remind me of those people who have a favourite band and will not criticise an album or song they put out no matter how bad it is.

Also known as bruce springsteen fans

In fact, ljs and comfy are big springsteen fans arent they??

they remind me of those people who have a favourite band and will not criticise an album or song they put out no matter how bad it is.

Also known as bruce springsteen fans

In fact, ljs and comfy are big springsteen fans arent they??

some of his stuff is ok. But, it would be stretching things to call me a big fan. I own a whole 1 of his albums.

So, your assessment is as accurate as usual.

Interesting to see that the SNP leadership got defeated at their conference on their land reform proposals...because they are not radical enough.

Hopefully a sign of the membership holding the party to account when it claims to be radical.

I have no doubt Neil & Russy will be along with a different interpretation.

They'll no doubt accompany this with a critique of English land reform proposals.

Nothing of what he said true or relevant no? 

Andrew Neil is a pompous twat.

I can't remember the last time he said anything true or relevant.

I didn't think Hosie acquitted himself particularly well, right enough.

I could have given better answers.

Interesting to see that the SNP leadership got defeated at their conference on their land reform proposals...because they are not radical enough.

Hopefully a sign of the membership holding the party to account when it claims to be radical.

I have no doubt Neil & Russy will be along with a different interpretation.

They'll no doubt accompany this with a critique of English land reform proposals.

I've said before in this thread that the reforms were weak and pathetic. You didn't hold them to account and praised them for doing something; I'm glad to see the members are better.

Tho the members also wanted an indy discussion at the conference, and the leadership banned it - so the members aren't really pulling the strings.

Meanwhile Sturgeon's "triggers" sounds mightily like Cameron's "EU renegotiation" and Brown's "5 test to join the Euro" - a pile of bullshit with which to coat the loyal members who are too daft to realise they're being had.

I've said before in this thread that the reforms were weak and pathetic. You didn't hold them to account and praised them for doing something; I'm glad to see the members are better.

I welcomed the land reforms on the basis that they were doing something as opposed to all other parties who have had an opportunity to do something & done nothing. I did acknowledge that were not very radical. I also explained why the question of land ownership is quite complex. 

I would certainly welcome attempts to coax the SNP to be a wee bit more adventurous. 

Tho the members also wanted an indy discussion at the conference, and the leadership banned it - so the members aren't really pulling the strings.

The SNP are no different to any other political party. Their conference is stage managed to present the party in the best light. Its why Labour didn't debate Trident. 

I seem to remember the Labour part ywere once bound by conference motions ... these days are long gone.

I welcomed the land reforms on the basis that they were doing something as opposed to all other parties who have had an opportunity to do something & done nothing.

except of course the only one in any position to do anything is the party in power, and the party in power has done fuck all of anything much for nearly a decade.

But let's just do Labour baaaad as cover for the SNP's ineptitude, yeah? And let's go all tory and blame those who left office years ago for the troubles of today. :lol:

The SNP are no different to any other political party. Their conference is stage managed to present the party in the best light. Its why Labour didn't debate Trident. 

Can you hold that "SNP are no different to any other political party" thought, and hold them to account like you would any otgher party? Oh, no, you can't. ;)

I do like how the snippers talk is now about how Sturgeon laid out a manifesto for 'the elections in a few months', showing that snippers maths is still fuckin' dreadful, and that snippers are praising tory policies and the SNP doing what England does (even if it's what tory England does!) because they have no ideas of their own.

Oh, and still no mention of a new foxhunting bill, where Scotland won't do what England does - about the only policy that isn't a mirror, and where Scotland is less progressive than nasty tory England.

• 2 weeks later...

can I just point out that the SNP have been in power for eight years - longer than the tories - yet they're still blaming Labour for everything that goes wrong?

You complain about the tories doing this. You give the SNP a free pass.

and yet the poorest in Scotland have been disadvantaged compared to the poorest in England.

If no-fees makes a difference, then it also follows that lesser support for the poorest also makes a difference - and the obfuscation you're trying here is bollocks by your own criteria.

But let's just ignore the illogical basis of your own argument, and give the SNP a free pass instead. :lol:

what is the point of free uni is it closes off Uni to those who will get the biggest benefit from it?

What is the point of free uni if it shuts down meritocracy rather than expands it?

Etc, etc, etc.

The *overall* benefit of Uni is what is important, not some idiot dogma that shuts down opportunities.

Do you want to improve the lot of the poorest, or do you only want privileges for4 the doing OKs?

Your words prove the latter  and not the former.

It's the very opposite of anything from the left, but let's just ignore that in favour of idiot dogma. :lol:

So, Neil, you have been banging on for ages about how the SNP are robbing the poor to protect the rich's privileged access to education.

Your claims have been based on comparisons which are imperfect as they do not reflect the differences in our respective education systems & different measures of poverty.So I'm sure like me, I'm sure you'll welcome a more objective assessment of how successful the Scottish government has been in this area.

Scotland's record on sending poorer teenagers to university improving, according to study

Scotland is doing a comparatively good job of sending poorer students to university, according to new analysis.

Within the UK only Northern Ireland, London and the West Midlands perform better at minimising the impact that poverty has on a pupil’s chance of accessing higher education

“Scotland’s inequality of access does seem to be the highest of any UK nation, but over the past decade it has come down the most,” writes Mr Forth. “This looks like success, not failure, to me.”

https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/breaking-news/scotlands-record-sending-poorer-teenagers-university-improving

So in other words, when the SNP took over they inherited a dreadful record of getting the poorest into University. they have made massive strides to catch up - not there yet - but I'm sure you will want to congratulate them on the impressive progress they have mad.

Edited by LJS