The Dirty Independence Question

Kyelo

3 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

Due process of law and justice and all that.

I'm not a fan of corruption regardless of which party is trying to pull the wool over the eyes.

Neither am I.

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Would a conviction make you re-think your SNP support?

That entirely depends who is convicted of what. Unless I am mistaken, no one is accusing Murrel of pocketing the money. The accusation is that the party used it for purposes other than the one it was donated for.

If that is the case, I'm not entirely sure why that would stop me supporting Scottish independence.

Unless things change the only vaguely likely democratic route to that is through the SNP.

1 minute ago, LJS said:

That entirely depends who is convicted of what. Unless I am mistaken, no one is accusing Murrel of pocketing the money. The accusation is that the party used it for purposes other than the one it was donated for.

If that is the case, I'm not entirely sure why that would stop me supporting Scottish independence.

Unless things change the only vaguely likely democratic route to that is through the SNP.

But it's not a lone wolf type deal: sturgeon and likely others in the party knew about any fraud going on. Would you trust the SNP knowing about institutional corruption in that way?

Just now, steviewevie said:

I guess it all depends on what happens next...this is obviously potentially devastating for SNP, but as LJS says if you are pro independence where else is your vote going to go, Greens or Alba?

Just have to see how Yousaf deals with it.

Will have to treat Sturgeon the way Starmer treats Corbyn. Obviously that would be a LOT more difficult though

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I guess it all depends on what happens next...this is obviously potentially devastating for SNP, but as LJS says if you are pro independence where else is your vote going to go, Greens or Alba?

My vote would go fucking Tory before it went Alba.

I already vote Green when there is a chance of the vote achieving anything.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Just have to see how Yousaf deals with it.

Once we know exactly what the "It" is.

Part of me reflects that I am glad I live in a country where alleged dodgy financial shenanigans by the governing party are investigated by the police.

Shame your Tory government gets off "scot" free with (allegedly) much worse

2 minutes ago, LJS said:

Part of me reflects that I am glad I live in a country where alleged dodgy financial shenanigans by the governing party are investigated by the police.

Shame your Tory government gets off "scot" free with (allegedly) much worse

lol bit of whatboutism there....

5 minutes ago, lost said:

really hoping the money went to Stormy Daniels.

I heard Peter Murrel did hook up with Ms Daniels... But she paid him to keep quiet about it.

I haven’t got a clue whether he is guilty or not. However I think the SNP have brought this on themselves by allowing him in a position which was a clear conflict of interest.

I think the issue is for years the SNP have been a party which demanded loyalty and criticism was not tolerated. This meant he was allowed to stay in a position which was clearly not a sensible idea.

6 hours ago, LJS said:

p.s. wings is a bigoted transphobe. If he was right about the money, that does not alter that.

seeing as sturgeon couldn't live up to her own gender recognition act and disrespected a person's chosen gender, is she a transphobe too?

(just looking for a bit of consistency).

3 minutes ago, Neil said:

seeing as sturgeon couldn't live up to her own gender recognition act and disrespected a person's chosen gender, is she a transphobe too?

(just looking for a bit of consistency).

No.

11 minutes ago, Neil said:

when is disrespecting a person's chosen gender not transphobic? when the transphobe is a scot's nat.

Your argument is based on a false premise, Neil.

26 minutes ago, LJS said:

Your argument is based on a false premise, Neil.

two scots nat's unconcerned about disrespecting a chosen gender, seems like a theme.