Peter Dow

Guest Uncle Liam

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to hear your opinions on the mental health debate. I've been very interested in Neil's and Barry Fish's comments, I myself have mixed opinions.

Do you feel that psychiatry in general is a form of social control, or do you feel that it does some good, but can be used by the state to control non conformists?

The scariest part of psychiatry is the 'sectioning' issue. I understand how sometimes there might not be an easy alternative. My mum was close to being sectioned once (who is fine-ish now), and I have another friend whos sister is getting close to it... but it just seems to be the most hopeless 'place' to end up. How do you convince someone who thinks otherwise that you're ok?

I've got mixed feeling about this. On the one hand, you have to be viewed as a risk or at risk in order to be sectioned, so there are already safeguards in place, and sectioning is only meant to be an option when voluntary treatment has been rejected, and it's considered there's an acute need for intervention. So they get you in to treat you, because you're considered unable to make that rational decision for yourself. It tends to be used for people likely to be violent, either to themselves or to others, or for people whose thought processes are so fractured that they're unable to function and likely to come to harm.

And in order to get discharged, you need to show your symptoms are under control, you're no longer a/at risk, and you can function adequately.

But I can see how this need to be seen as cooperative, reasonable and compliant (and in all likelihood to be taking some pretty powerful medication) could be seen as disempowerment and enforcement of social control.

Edited by feral chile

In terms of what do you actually do to campaign, I would say post those two videos I posted here elsewhere on the web. Consider the debate which me posting those two videos and my story kicked off here. That debate needs to be ignited in many more forums on the internet.

If being a psychiatrist is frowned upon by society like being a drunk driver or other anti-social behaviour then things will change for the better.

as scary as it is, everyone who knows my friends sister think her being sectioned is the last option. No-one wants it, but the 'problem' has been going on for years, with no sign that anything is going to change without this intervention.

It's horrible... this woman is beautiful (not that that has any real bearing on the situation), intelligent, creative... it's like a light went out, and no-one knows where the switch is :(

I don't know.. it's baffling the whole family. She's been in a kind of denial (relationship, job, a need to pay for where you live...) for years now. Her 2 sisters have limited experience in this type of behaviour... but then I imagine it's very different when it's someone very close to you.

I often empathise with people in these situations... without really understanding. The singer in our band had a series of breakdowns. the last one he hasn't recovered from, mainly because there's no follow up to any treatment they give him. He gets suicidal, they medicate him, he goes home (only son 60 years old, still living at home....), his mum looks after him, buys him alcohol (he's also an alcoholic), he gets suicidal, etc etc.. no real follow up at all. I use to look at him and thing "it must be great being that helpless, doesn't have to go to work, gets looked after"... and after a few seconds of being slightly envious, I remind myself it must be a living hell and I'm lucky to be who I am (and who I am with)

I guess that's the hope

I sometimes feel like the family in 6 Feet Under, surrounded by death, and inevitably affected by it... except for me it's depression

and I'm fine (possibly... ;) )

And the American public distrust people who are seen to have too much intelligence, a point raised earlier in this thread. Same as over here. They're seen as able to con you, manipulative. Intelligence, sadly, isn't considered a universally positive trait.

No what is unconvincing in a candidate is a stupid person trying to con the voters that he or she is up to the job.

When else do you opt for the product or service incompetently provided, especially a product or service that takes a lot of skill and knowledge to do well?

It isn't a very smart thing to do to con people because people get wise to being conned sooner or later then the con man suffers the anger of people he or she has cheated.

The person who spots the con first and blows the whistle is the most alert, most intelligent person.

Do people say "Oh, it was a smarter person than me who blew the whistle on the con so I'll forgive the con man because he was dumber than the whistle-blower"? No.

People want the con exposed and appreciate the person who exposes it.

This is why people watch and read satire and investigative journalists.

You are right that people don't want to be conned but it is the smart people who help them most to spot when they are being conned.

People will vote for the candidate who is smart enough to expose the cons in the approach of the other politician for all to see.

I think being a likeable person helps a politician a lot, to have good intentions, to be moral, yes to be smart but not to be too vain or arrogant about one's own abilities which can grate a bit and to be "one of us" rather than a breed apart.

Sure there is a lot more to politics than being intelligent but since when did the biggest fool get elected?

What is more important here is that very intelligent people often don't enter politics at all because they know it means a lot of sacrifices in terms of privacy or free time or wealth earning opportunities.

1. How would Peter Dow's republic have prevented Dunblane? By denying people the freedom to hold firearms certificates? Isnt that a denial of freedom?

Edited by Peter Dow

"Yes it would be detrimental to your life to get burned but there is a higher love than your own comfort and sometimes than your own life."

Yes there is. You don't have to look far. An example of it would be the unconditional love of your mother while you were crying down the phone to her as mentioned previously. She most lilkely doesn't need all the crap you throw at her but she takes it all the same. Well done you.

• By denying Thomas Hamilton a firearms certificate.

• By making schools secure against unwelcome entry.

• By having freedom of speech, publication and protest so that if any dangerous situation arose, concerned citizens could kick up an almighty fuss about it, bring it to the people's attention and get something done prompty.

No it isn't denial of freedom. You can be part of the government without holding a firearms certificate. It is not therefore a denial of your democratic rights to be denied a firearms certificate.

It is a denial of your freedoms to be shot by someone holding a firearms certificate though.

Although you are curious enough to make your point you seem perhaps to be too lazy to read my analysis of the Dunblane massacre on my website.

Dunblane Primary School Massacre Inquiry Cover-up Revealed

http://scot.tk/dunblane.htm

I mean if you were really interested in knowing what I thought about Dunblane and why surely you would read that first then come back to me with quotes and questions on bits you don't understand, want clarification on etc.

No it isn't.

Breivik is not a republican. He did not have a republican plot. He did not ramble about a republican plot. I didn't say he was a republican, had a republican plot or rambled about a republican plot.

Breivik is a fascist and he killed his political enemies. Like Hitler killed his. The first thing Hitler did when he became chancellor was to round up his political opponents, people not unlike those on that Norwegian island. Hitler had them rounded up and put into concentration camp for later extermination.

Not saying Breivik is a "Hitler" figure - more like a hit-man for a Hitler-figure who has yet to be revealed, more like an SS soldier.

I don't see why you think my description is not top of the list of sinister things for this massacre to be about. What could be more sinister than a fascist murdering his political enemies? Very sinister for the likes of me who no doubt figures near the top of the list for fascists in this country.

Or do you think Breivik was an agent for dolphin drowners and orangutan habitat clearers, and that's why he appears even more sinister than a fascist to you?

Or Breivik was a fascist; I am not sure what if anything his politics are now that the shrinks have got their drugs or whatever into him.

Well if you don't know that fascists operate as the enforcers for royalty then it is time for you to learn that.

When a criminal threatens you in your home you call the police.

When republicans and democrats threaten the monarchy they call in the fascists.

Same thing.

European royals before world war 2 felt threatened by the rise of democracy in Europe and so they called in the fascists.

Duke_and_Duchess_of_Windsor_meet_Adolf_Hitler_1937.jpg

The Queen's Uncle Edward the Duke of Windsor formerly King Edward VIII and the Duchess meeting Hitler in 1937.

From a topic in the Republican Intelligence forum of the For Freedom Forums

Close Encounters Of The Third Reich Kind

royalnazibooks600.jpg

Jonathan Petropoulos, in his book "Royals and the Reich" reviews the case that the Duke of Windsor was a traitor and an agent for Nazi Germany which was made by Martin Allen in his book "Hidden Agenda. How the Duke of Windsor Betrayed the Allies".

"Author Martin Allen goes much further than this, arguing in his controversial book, Hidden Agenda, that the duke spied for Hitler, especially in the critical phase in late-1939 and early-1940 prior to the Battle of France.

According to Allen, the duke made inspection tours of the French army's front line positions, including the Maginot line, and provided reports of troop deployments not only to the British (French-British co-operation not being what it should have been), but also to the Germans.

The link between the duke and the Nazis, according to Allen, was wealthy American industrialist Charles Bedaux (sometimes spelled Bedault), who was a close friend of the Windsors. Bedaux had loaned them his home, chateau Cande in France, for their wedding in June 1937, and he was almost certainly a Nazi intelligence asset; he knew Goring personally and had many German business contacts.

Martin Allen goes so far as to argue that the Duke of Windsor provided Bedaux with the crucial information about the French deployment, that this information, when passed on, induced Hitler to take the bold move and invade France through the poorly defended Ardennes forest, and that this is the primary explanation for the stunning Nazi victory in May-June 1940.

It is a devastating indictment: the Duke of Windsor was not only a traitor but the main reason for the German victory in the West and all that came with it (occupation, the Battle of Britain, and the persecution of Jews in these regions, among other developments)."

How Queen Elizabeth got married to the Nazis.

howqueenelizabethgotmar.jpg

Left: Prince Christoph von Hesse, in Nazi SS uniform, was a high ranking Nazi. He was chief of Hermann Goring's secret intelligence service, an aide to Heinrich Himmler and a colonel (SS-Oberfuhrer) of the Schutzstaffel (SS).

Suits you, your Royal Highness.

Centre: Prince Christoph von Hesse married Princess Sophie, the sister of Prince Philip ("of Greece and Demark", as THEY say).

Right: Philip "Mountbatten" ('cos he is now a Briton) married Princess Elizabeth and they proclaim themselves Duke and Duchess ("of Edinburgh", so THEY say).

So are you not allowed back into any other Unis because of that campaign you tried to start in case you might stir up trouble again or because .... or whatever it was?

Edited by Peter Dow

Genuine question to those more in the know than me; Is a computer science degree from 1983 actually worth the paper its written on nowadays?

Edited by Peter Dow

I have custom modified the forum software for my forum and that definitely takes someone with a degree-level of programming knowledge to do.

Check this out for computer science -

Oh, it looks like I must have a fantasy degree.

Peter, if you think that sort of stuff is degree level then 10 year olds must be graduating very successfully in Scotland. :lol:

It was worth it to me because it helped me to create my website -

Scottish National Standard Bearer website

which wasn't too hard as the website is mostly simple web-pages.

I have custom modified the forum software for my forum and that definitely takes someone with a degree-level of programming knowledge to do.

Check this out for computer science -

:boast:

forfreedomforumlogo.gif

FIGH.TK

For Freedom Forums

Forums for robust political debate. Inspired by Scots, open to all.

Ah I thought the fact you wrote "stress" in inverted commas implied you werent actually stressed, but had to say something in order to qualify for the benefits. I thought it was the text way of giving us a wink

Edited by Peter Dow