Bestival 2012

Guest 5co77ie

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Bestival have basically shot themselves in the foot. I am 18 in October, so only 17 by 1 month yet they won't let me purchase an adult ticket, otherwise basically I have to have one of my parents come. Sounds so childish considering I've been going to festivals since the age of 15, volunteered at some and can even now drive.. yet if i want to go to bestival, i need a 30 year old adult! :L

It baffles me when festivals advertise themselves as boutique but apparently do their best to make themselves NOT boutique. :lol:

It's completely off-topic though, this. I think the point Joe's making is - not that I've ever been to IOW - is that Bestival caters more to the individual than Isle of Wight does, and that's the basis of what makes it a boutique festival. They listen to what you want and give you what you need whereas IOW is more about self-interest, monetary gain, etc; 'know your place, consumer' type of thing.

http://www.nme.com/news/the-jesus-and-mary-chain/61908

Would love it.

It's an incredible line-up so far, perhaps too good, I have a feeling the clashes will be horrible, so very interested to see the headliners.

Am I right in saying so far we have:

Friday main

(headliner)

The XX

Warpaint

Soulwax

Big Top:

Hot Chip

Gary Numan

2ManyDj's

Horrors

MF Doom

Saturday Main:

------Headliner-------

TDCC

Sister Sledge

Big Top:

Annie Mac

Justice

Sunday Main:

-----Headliner-----

Sigur Ros

Big Top:

Orbital

Spiritualized

With one headliner next week, one in the coming weeks, and one not booked yet?

The clash I dread is Sigur Ros and Spiritualized. Horrors and Warpaint would be shit too.

If Orbital headline with Spiritualized subbing, Spiritualized will be on whenever Sunday night's mainstage headliner is on. At least I hope that's the case because then I'll be able to shoot up the hill from Sigur Ros into the Big Top.

Edited by Dave The Hedgehog

Incredible lineup, I wish Hot Chip were main stage though - they were so fun at Glasto in 2010 and i think they'd go down a treat the same way Chromeo did. I absolutely love the xx but it seems to me that them and Hot Chip would make lot more sense swapped around.

Maybe it's just me.

Sigur Ros will be absolutely mind blowing though, I just hope whoever is on after is up to the job because it's going to be very very hard to follow.

Who do we reckon the headliners might be then? I have literally no clue now that Sigur and the xx ARENT headlining.

It baffles me when festivals advertise themselves as boutique but apparently do their best to make themselves NOT boutique. :lol:

It's completely off-topic though, this. I think the point Joe's making is - not that I've ever been to IOW - is that Bestival caters more to the individual than Isle of Wight does, and that's the basis of what makes it a boutique festival. They listen to what you want and give you what you need whereas IOW is more about self-interest, monetary gain, etc; 'know your place, consumer' type of thing.

Don't kid yourself, I'd bet that Bestival is just as interested in making money as IOW, it's just that they view a (very) different plan/style as a more legitimate long-term plan to make money than the plan that IOW sees fit to use. As for catering to the individual, that's another fluffy phrase that doesn't mean anything - more like it caters for people who like to think of themselves as individuals and who are turned off by what they perceive (and to be fair are usually right in thinking) to be mass-marketed, impersonal events. It presents itself in a very particular way and fair play is successful enough to trap enough flies to ensure that it can continue to do so. If it didn't then I don't think it would be long before it changed the way it did things.