• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• The Nal

• kaosmark2

• strummer77

I think one of the main reasons for man utds success is the balance in the squad. They have

1. Players in their peak - Rooney, Vidic, Young etc

2. Experienced players/role models - Giggs

3. Young up and coming - Smalling, Hernandez, Jones etc

4. Squad players - Park, Fletcher etc

Fantastic performance from Utd, but as its been said, Arsenal were just shit. Almost felt sorry for Wenger, almost. Rooney has stepped it up a gear. Ran the show.

As good as City were, Spurs should've scored 2 or 3 in the first half but once City smelled blood it was all over.

Pool were very good and played good football!! :O First time in a long long time. Amazing what a bit of width on the pitch can do for attractive football.

See Barca went with 3-4-3 last night to accommodate Fabregas, who played well and scored. Maybe he wont be the benchwarmer we all thought.

Edited by The Nal

I could watch Suarez play all day, I hope for liverpool fans and those neutrals amongst is that he stays fit and 2 years without much of a break doesnt take its toll. I am concerned liverpool could be short up front if he gets injured. It will also be interesting to see how Gerrard copes with possibly not being the main man anymore.

Liverpool had a bit of luck from the fixture computer with the first 3 games, but you still have to get the point on the board and they have done a solid job there. Looking at the fixture list they have a tough run in the next 5 league games and it will be easier to make a judgement on liverpool after this time. If they can maintain the gap between arsenal after these games they will be in a very strong position for top 4.

Things are pretty good. Pool could push Chelski if they keep this up. Options all over the place now. Defence needs a bit of sorting out though. Could struggle against a couple of better teams.

If Seb Coates signs then that should help help strengthen the defence (if he's all that, of course).

I think Chelsea - and Utd, despite Sunday's win - are as vulnerable as any other team for falling out the top four right at this moment. I'd say that City are the most certain of the 5 strong possibilities to be in there, just on the basis that they're a 'defend first' team (tho that looks less the case so far this season).

Utd are flying right now, but their goalie is their weak spot - and that keeps things interesting. They've got other weak spots too if they're unlucky with injuries.

Despite Arsenal's thrashing I don't think they're gone just yet (tho they might be). Wenger's found his cheque book at last, and those injuries and bans aren't an irrelevance.

Chelsea and Liverpool are more unknown quantities right now, so it's difficult to know how they'll go across the whole season.

But on the basis that Utd usually start weak and finish strong while the past few years Chelsea have done the opposite, it's interesting that they appear to be starting the other way around this year. You never know, the whole season might be turned on its head just as the start has been.

I think people are counting chelsea out a little early, never underestimate a team that plays poorly but still wins. I think Mata is a great signing and expect them to invest further. I also think Metersacker will be a good buy for arsenal, Im suspect he will cost less than everton want for jagielka and in my opinion he is better.

If Seb Coates signs then that should help help strengthen the defence (if he's all that, of course).

I think Chelsea - and Utd, despite Sunday's win - are as vulnerable as any other team for falling out the top four right at this moment. I'd say that City are the most certain of the 5 strong possibilities to be in there, just on the basis that they're a 'defend first' team (tho that looks less the case so far this season).

Utd are flying right now, but their goalie is their weak spot - and that keeps things interesting. They've got other weak spots too if they're unlucky with injuries.

Despite Arsenal's thrashing I don't think they're gone just yet (tho they might be). Wenger's found his cheque book at last, and those injuries and bans aren't an irrelevance.

Chelsea and Liverpool are more unknown quantities right now, so it's difficult to know how they'll go across the whole season.

But on the basis that Utd usually start weak and finish strong while the past few years Chelsea have done the opposite, it's interesting that they appear to be starting the other way around this year. You never know, the whole season might be turned on its head just as the start has been.

I think people are counting chelsea out a little early, never underestimate a team that plays poorly but still wins. I think Mata is a great signing and expect them to invest further. I also think Metersacker will be a good buy for arsenal, Im suspect he will cost less than everton want for jagielka and in my opinion he is better.

Oh, I'm not counting them out, not at all. They've got a lot going for them.

But so has every team of that possible five, and while Arsenal look the most likely to miss out of that five at this moment, I'm not entirely sure that's how things will pan out. If Arsenal raise their game - which isn't an impossibility despite that thrashing - then if it's not them it's going to be someone else. And that someone else might be Chelsea.

Good analysis speculation here.

:lol:

Yep, it's speculation - tho speculation based on an analysis of the situations of all those teams, and teams that aren't yet finalised for the season (or the first half, anyway).

Someone has got to miss out on that Chumps League spot, and it's not always the obvious victim that becomes the victim. If we could see how the season is going to pan out there'd be little point in having that season.

As I say, it might be Utd, who knows? I don't really expect that, but with a few choice injuries and de Gea being less than hoped for, then who knows how it'll go?

:lol:

Yep, it's speculation - tho speculation based on an analysis of the situations of all those teams, and teams that aren't yet finalised for the season (or the first half, anyway).

Someone has got to miss out on that Chumps League spot, and it's not always the obvious victim that becomes the victim. If we could see how the season is going to pan out there'd be little point in having that season.

As I say, it might be Utd, who knows? I don't really expect that, but with a few choice injuries and de Gea being less than hoped for, then who knows how it'll go?

However, Manchester Utd have not been outside the top four in donkeys years. Stretch bounds of peoples imaginations to think otherwise this season.

Much the same could be said of Arsenal (tho of course there's more reason to think Arsenal might finish out of the top 4).

I agree with you that the keeper look suspect - this won't prove decisive in the league though.

It probably won't. But it might.

From what we've seen thus far its Utd Vs Citeh for the title.

I don't disagree at all. But at this point in the last few years it'd have been Chelsea for the title on the games played at this point, yet they didn't get it.

What would lead you to think theres the slightest chance of Utd finishing 5th?

Their goalie.

He might turn out to be the best in the world some years down the line, but right now he's there for the taking. Yes, Utd can score more than he lets in, but that's with a team at full-strength; it might not always be that way.

I don't expect Utd to be out of the top four this season, but it's not impossible. One day they definitely will be (unless UEFA keep changing the rules in their favour ;)), and it's likely that the year they do fall out of the top four will be a year they don't expect to fall out of the top four - which is like this one.

With things as they stand right now then the players of opposing teams need a Wayne's World styleee pep-talk - "Shoot and you will score". So far that's been near enough what's happened.

Edited by eFestivals

They'll revert to the standard "you score one, we'll score two" tactics again now.

a tactic that'll work most of the time, but not every time even if everyone stays fit.

How well it works overall will depend on how many times it doesn't work - and it'll only take a handful of the right (or wrong) players to get injured (and it happens!) to see that tactic spectacularly fail. In the middle of those two extremes is a grey area where who knows what will happen.

As I've said I don't really expect it to happen but I don't see it as impossible. It's as much dependent on how those other teams go as it depends on what Utd do.

Its Liverpool or Spurs for 4th imo, people write Spurs off but they weren't far off last season and only failed to make a proper push imo cause they got knackered having to field their full team in the champs league every Wed. They still looked like a top 4 side outside the end of season though, after all a team who pick up away wins against Stoke, Fulham, Villa, Sunderland etc without playing particually well has to be up there.

Arsenal could turn it around but need to spend bigger then i think they will - their bench on Sunday was absolutely laughable. I can't see them picking up anywhere near enough wins away to push for top 4. Liverpool i think the jurys still out, looked good but some of those signings are suspect and I think most people are iffy on whether they're 'top 4' quality... certainly got more depth then Arsenal though.

Should have a clearer idea once the transfer window shuts, Arsenal need new players everywhere, liverpool defence, Spurs upfront etc...