Andy Copping Talks acts for 2012

Guest luckysalt

They played 'Academy' size venues. Roughly a tenth of the size of the arena's that your 'headliner' sized band plays. QOTSA haven't had a 'hit' in a long time & although they have a dedicated fan-base they don't have the mass appeal needed to shift the headliner size tickets a major festival requires. Biffy & Slipknot only got moved up to headliner status once they'd had a successful arena tour. If you look at bands breaking into arenas like BFMV, Pendulum, Machine Head & Alter Bridge (depending how these sell) these are the next wave of headliners. It's no coincidence that Andy himself has cited MH, AB & Pendulum in recent interviews as bands, amongst others, who haven't headlined before that could feasibly step up.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On QOTSA they ARE a big band, they choose to play academy sized venues, they sell out in an hour, and then thats that. I have no doubt WHATSOEVER that they could do a successful UK arena tour.

They should 100% do a Arena tour next time and we'll see.

Paramore are the best placed act to step up IMO, 2 sell out UK arena tours, big international act, multiple best selling albums, big brand name, good cross over appeal, and don't play many UK fests. They'd be a big headliner for Download IMO.

On QOTSA they ARE a big band, they choose to play academy sized venues, they sell out in an hour, and then thats that. I have no doubt WHATSOEVER that they could do a successful UK arena tour.

Paramore are the best placed act to step up IMO, 2 sell out UK arena tours, big international act, multiple best selling albums, big brand name, good cross over appeal, and don't play many UK fests. They'd be a big headliner for Download IMO.

Paramore feels fairly obvious to me as a headliner soon, just depends if they get things sorted ready for 2012. I'd assume they will, as they take me as a band riding their current popularity and they don't want to miss the ride.

I think 30STM are a better shout to go under them then Bizkit too...

I think top two on main will be

Paramore with Limp Bizkit under

Rammstein with MachineHead under

Van Halen with Poison and Motely Crue under

Not sure on all second stage headliners, but Id say Chase and Status will headline Second against Van Halen.

Edited by gazza_20

Paramore feels fairly obvious to me as a headliner soon, just depends if they get things sorted ready for 2012. I'd assume they will, as they take me as a band riding their current popularity and they don't want to miss the ride.

I think 30STM are a better shout to go under them then Bizkit too...

Or Download could just book them as 2nd headliners like any other festival with any credibility would and book bands who are actually big enough to headline instead.

I like QOTSA and all but they're not headliner material. It's nearly a decade since their biggest album came out (Which from what I can gather, still wasn't as big a seller as SOAD's, Linkin Parks, Biffy Clyros biggest...) and the two since just sent them backwards in popularity.

I've no idea what sort of venues QOTSA played recently mind, so maybe someone can forth an argument for why they should play using that... or just back mine up with that lol.

AC has been a busy bee on twitter, talking a lot about next year

I'll use this thread to post up whatever I see.

BEASTIE BOYS''Not as headliners...not big enough''

BLACK CROWES''They'd be great any year!''

GODSMACK''We were close to getting Godsmack this year and then it just fell away''

BLACK KEYS''NO''

RIVAL SONS''Yes''

NO DOUBT''I would book No Doubt...great band''

TENACIOUS D''Of course! I've tried a couple of times but never managed to make it work''

MACHINEHEAD''buy the tickets for the December UK tour first, that's most important right now''

Extreme, Kid Rock, Motley Crue, Nickelback, Ozzy, Poison, Rush, Steelheart''I like all of those choices''

how about booking muderdolls for download &/or Wednesday 13''They both have chance''

LETHAL BIZZLE''I would book Bizzle again...in fact, I tried this year''

TINIE TEMPAH''I really like Tinie Tempah, he's a good bloke too but definitely not for Download''

PLACEBO''Yes I would have Placebo and have discussed having them on a couple of occasions but the timing wasn't right''

QOTSA''They are no way near big enough to headline Download...special guest maybe''

THE CURE''The Cure are a great band but would not transcend over to the Download masses''

Motley Crue or Sixx AM to play #DL12''You just never know''

BIFFY CLYRO''to headline...Not yet no...very close though''

LIMP BIZKIT''not big enough to headline, special guest on main, or headline second stage''

CHASE AND STATUS''Chase & Status in Hyde Park tonight....oh my God! The mosh pits were sick!! Time for them to crossover big time''

i find it odd that he says that he considers chase and status and lethal bizzle as potential bookings for download but doesnt think black keys are.

surely black keys would be ideal.with the fact that he loves 'classic rock day' and black keys have made an awesome classic rock album and are loved by classic rock magazine who gave their album 9/10.

black keys are a contempory band who could play on the classic rock day without living on their past.

AC has been a busy bee on twitter, talking a lot about next year

I'll use this thread to post up whatever I see.

BEASTIE BOYS''Not as headliners...not big enough''

BLACK CROWES''They'd be great any year!''

GODSMACK''We were close to getting Godsmack this year and then it just fell away''

BLACK KEYS''NO''

RIVAL SONS''Yes''

NO DOUBT''I would book No Doubt...great band''

TENACIOUS D''Of course! I've tried a couple of times but never managed to make it work''

MACHINEHEAD''buy the tickets for the December UK tour first, that's most important right now''

Extreme, Kid Rock, Motley Crue, Nickelback, Ozzy, Poison, Rush, Steelheart''I like all of those choices''

how about booking muderdolls for download &/or Wednesday 13''They both have chance''

LETHAL BIZZLE''I would book Bizzle again...in fact, I tried this year''

TINIE TEMPAH''I really like Tinie Tempah, he's a good bloke too but definitely not for Download''

PLACEBO''Yes I would have Placebo and have discussed having them on a couple of occasions but the timing wasn't right''

QOTSA''They are no way near big enough to headline Download...special guest maybe''

THE CURE''The Cure are a great band but would not transcend over to the Download masses''

Motley Crue or Sixx AM to play #DL12''You just never know''

BIFFY CLYRO''to headline...Not yet no...very close though''

LIMP BIZKIT''not big enough to headline, special guest on main, or headline second stage''

CHASE AND STATUS''Chase & Status in Hyde Park tonight....oh my God! The mosh pits were sick!! Time for them to crossover big time''

I tweeted AC about the possibility of A7X headlining 2012 but he replied saying "Not in 2012, but possibly in the future"

I knew it was always unlikely as it hardly happens to play second and then headline the next year but as they're my favourite band id give it a go.

My personal prediction is... Metallica, Rammstein and Paramore to headline with Machine Head, Evanescence and Pendulum or Limp Bizkit supporting. (not many big bands who could support Paramore in similar music)

I tweeted AC about the possibility of A7X headlining 2012 but he replied saying "Not in 2012, but possibly in the future"

I knew it was always unlikely as it hardly happens to play second and then headline the next year but as they're my favourite band id give it a go.

My personal prediction is... Metallica, Rammstein and Paramore to headline with Machine Head, Evanescence and Pendulum or Limp Bizkit supporting. (not many big bands who could support Paramore in similar music)

heres my 2p. I LOVE qotsa, but they arent big enough to headline. a band needs to be able to play a full 2 hours ish, and have every tune be a banger that most of the crowd know. queens couldnt do that.

One thing is for sure - my early bird purchase wont be happening this year. I'm leaving it until the last minute - I enjoyed this year, and even with a pretty broad music taste - I found sunday to be as dull as dishwater.

copping is up against it, I feel sorry for him in a way, but he causes most of the headaches himself. he is stuck between a rock and a hard place, as he has to talk the job up - in order to secure interest and early ticket sales, but he often shoots himself in the foot with wild and spurious claims - followed usually by an anticlimax.

also - soni is a big deal in terms of competition, if a band's management can line up 10 european festival appearances at one or two meetings - they are gonna do that, rather than meeting with something once or twice for one date.

On the topic of QOFTSA personally I can't see them headlining (unless the organizers are desperate) but I was in the pub a week or two ago and a cover band starting playing Go With The Flow which surprised me as normally these bands stick to Oasis, Kings Of Leon etc and it wasn't No One Knows which is their uber hit.

I do think they could play 2 hours (really they would only need a hour & 30mins) they've got 6 albums (maybe 7 next year) & 16(?) singles also there does seem to be a surge of interest at the moment possibly due to the Glasto appearance but a few years ago I remember an interview with Homme saying he's sick of being called a metal band as they were a rock band if that has any bearing.

The whole thing I find with qotsa quite funny. On their day (or night as it's more apt), they'd absolutely kill it. Don't judge Josh Homme's ability to perform on TCV, who should have never been that high but were due to the people involved.

People stating "x, y and z" are nowhere near big enough to headline need to realise that it creates a vicious circle for download, since they alienate themselves from bands that are capeable of headlining, who in turn wont get the shot, they'll run out of options by having such a small pool of acts they think are acceptable to headline, or just get continuous repeat bookings.

I enjoyed download when i went, but they need to be realistic. Sonisphere have shown in two years they're willing to take the odd risk (Biffy), willing to do things other metal festivals don't cater for (Booking a comedian in a prominent position), and actually branch away from the metal moniker. That along with their booking power (Multiple locations plus same weekend as t/ oxygen) and I could very well see them beating out all the competition in their field unless download start offering something different.