Andy Copping Talks acts for 2012

Guest luckysalt

AC has been a busy bee on twitter, talking a lot about next year

I'll use this thread to post up whatever I see.

BEASTIE BOYS''Not as headliners...not big enough''

BLACK CROWES''They'd be great any year!''

GODSMACK''We were close to getting Godsmack this year and then it just fell away''

BLACK KEYS''NO''

RIVAL SONS''Yes''

NO DOUBT''I would book No Doubt...great band''

TENACIOUS D''Of course! I've tried a couple of times but never managed to make it work''

MACHINEHEAD''buy the tickets for the December UK tour first, that's most important right now''

Extreme, Kid Rock, Motley Crue, Nickelback, Ozzy, Poison, Rush, Steelheart''I like all of those choices''

how about booking muderdolls for download &/or Wednesday 13''They both have chance''

LETHAL BIZZLE''I would book Bizzle again...in fact, I tried this year''

TINIE TEMPAH''I really like Tinie Tempah, he's a good bloke too but definitely not for Download''

PLACEBO''Yes I would have Placebo and have discussed having them on a couple of occasions but the timing wasn't right''

QOTSA''They are no way near big enough to headline Download...special guest maybe''

THE CURE''The Cure are a great band but would not transcend over to the Download masses''

Motley Crue or Sixx AM to play #DL12''You just never know''

BIFFY CLYRO''to headline...Not yet no...very close though''

LIMP BIZKIT''not big enough to headline, special guest on main, or headline second stage''

CHASE AND STATUS''Chase & Status in Hyde Park tonight....oh my God! The mosh pits were sick!! Time for them to crossover big time''

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are QOTSA and Biffy really that much smaller than Linkin Park and SOAD? Or is it the fact that the latter two are around a lot less than the former two and the level of exclusivity that comes along with it that makes them headline material?

Queens of the Stone age were awesome at Glastonbury and attracted a very decent crowd with lots of competition at the same time, one of the best festival rock performances I've seen in 20 years, it was right up there with Foo Fighters, Muse etc.

I would say that QOTSA would attract more people to Download than bands like Def Leppard, The Darkness, Linkin Park, its Copping loss and it's decisions like this, that do not attract people like me to Download, I would much rather see a band at their peak than an 80s nostalgia act.

QOTSA are a much bigger band than Machine Head.

Queens of the Stone age were awesome at Glastonbury and attracted a very decent crowd with lots of competition at the same time, one of the best festival rock performances I've seen in 20 years, it was right up there with Foo Fighters, Muse etc.

I would say that QOTSA would attract more people to Download than bands like Def Leppard, The Darkness, Linkin Park, its Copping loss and it's decisions like this, that do not attract people like me to Download, I would much rather see a band at their peak than an 80s nostalgia act.

I just asked Andy about Evanescence for sub-headliner next year, and if he'd heard their new album.

Maverick_AC Andy Copping

@ThisIsTheNewHit They have some work to do before they get to that level methinks

I don't see why not though...think their new album will be big.

He's probably the only thing I dislike about download. Andy copping needs to read black and white, metal doesn't sell out a festival, and the cheek of him stating band x, y and z arn't big enough to headline, that bands are falling over to play that much, that he booked the same act twice in three years.

The reality is the big bands are around every year, and a damn lot of them snub download to do the other euro festies. Finally his notion borderline obsession with the classic rock day only highlights how much he missed the big picture with 09. They got diversity bang on, had bands harking back to nu-metal (which a lot of download's audience were too young to see the first time), a more traditional download day on saturday, and a classic rock themed day on sunday.

The hilarious thing is, if he opened his eyes a bit and broadened the booking a bit, the festival could be a lot more successful than it was this year.

He's probably the only thing I dislike about download. Andy copping needs to read black and white, metal doesn't sell out a festival, and the cheek of him stating band x, y and z arn't big enough to headline, that bands are falling over to play that much, that he booked the same act twice in three years.

The reality is the big bands are around every year, and a damn lot of them snub download to do the other euro festies. Finally his notion borderline obsession with the classic rock day only highlights how much he missed the big picture with 09. They got diversity bang on, had bands harking back to nu-metal (which a lot of download's audience were too young to see the first time), a more traditional download day on saturday, and a classic rock themed day on sunday.

The hilarious thing is, if he opened his eyes a bit and broadened the booking a bit, the festival could be a lot more successful than it was this year.

QOTSA, Beasties, Soundgarden and Biffy may or may not be big enough to headline but even if he thinks they aren't I don't see the advantage of putting that opinion out into the public. Surely he'd want to keep his options open to avoid another Def Leppard situation rather then getting certain bands' backs up.

To be fair to Copping he pulled of a cracker in 2010. The bst set of headliners I have seen at a festival IMO.

Since then he has come across as a bit of twunt to be honest. You need to have a least 1 big metal headliner but wht not take a chance with QOTSA headlining another night, it's better then recycling the old bands. They need to take some calculated risks like Soni did with booking Biffy, who to be honest are far more relevent and play harder and faster than Deff Leppard do anyway. There is nothing wrong with going a little more mainstream as long as you book enough metal bands to keep the hardcore happy.

I think the point a lot of people are missing is that there's a very limited number of bands that are as big Linkin Park and SOAD who fit download's demographic. The festival needs to take risks in pushing bands up to headline to shake the reputation it's got for repeat bookings.

And QOTSA are one of those bands that a lot of people are predicting to become headliners in the future, would be good for Download to be the fest that gives them the first push up, same as Soni did for Biffy this year.

Or Download could just book them as 2nd headliners like any other festival with any credibility would and book bands who are actually big enough to headline instead.

I like QOTSA and all but they're not headliner material. It's nearly a decade since their biggest album came out (Which from what I can gather, still wasn't as big a seller as SOAD's, Linkin Parks, Biffy Clyros biggest...) and the two since just sent them backwards in popularity.

I've no idea what sort of venues QOTSA played recently mind, so maybe someone can forth an argument for why they should play using that... or just back mine up with that lol.

Or Download could just book them as 2nd headliners like any other festival with any credibility would and book bands who are actually big enough to headline instead.

I like QOTSA and all but they're not headliner material. It's nearly a decade since their biggest album came out (Which from what I can gather, still wasn't as big a seller as SOAD's, Linkin Parks, Biffy Clyros biggest...) and the two since just sent them backwards in popularity.

I've no idea what sort of venues QOTSA played recently mind, so maybe someone can forth an argument for why they should play using that... or just back mine up with that lol.

i was basing my assumptions on the Glastonbury set they played the crowd must have been in the region of 30-40k they played with passion and went down a storm even being up against Beyonce on the pyramid, the streets and kool and the gang, also beforehand you could vote for your top ten songs from a list of 50 on the web and they did the top ten songs plus others

It's a tough one to call because they've only ever really played academy sized venues, which all sell out almost instantly. And yeah, they crowd must've been at least 40k at Glasto, and considering it's very much not a rock festival. I reckon they're the kinda band that could be asked to headline if they're struggling for headliners. And I'd say they're bigger than the offspring and lostprophets, considering we've had some strong headliners over the last few years.