The other Stage

Guest Flange Basket

its a bit dismissive. I think I'd be quite upset if I was called the Other stage. I'm sure it wants a bit more identity. Time to change it?

There's only one thing which got upset when it got called the Other Stage. They're still crying now. :lol:

It's got all the identity it needs - it's f**k all to do with NME. And that's a very good thing. :)

The "Other Stage" is its identity, I love it

Everyone knows what it is, its as legendary as the Pyramid stage, please don't change it, it needs no more of an identiyy as it already has

How many times have you heard of legendary Other Stage sets, the Flaming Lips on the OTher Stage in 2010 for example. Kasabian in 2005 (imo)

It just works as it is

Leave well alone please!

I always wondered how it got that name - I envisaged them mapping out the site and saying:

"What shall we call that then?"

"Just put 'The Other Stage', we'll come up with something later"

... but never going back and changing it.

Never knew it used to be the NME stage, and I think it should stay just as it is. I love the name and the stage has provided some of my best festival moments.

I've always loved the fact that it's called the "Other Stage" - that's so Glastonbury to me. No need for sponsorship, or a gimmick. It's not the Pyramid, it's the Other Stage.

Much like the New Bands Tent (so called because it was a new tent for bands to play in...); Completely fitting that should be renamed The John Peel Stage. The only time The Other should get renamed is for some similar purpose...

The only thing for me is that 'The Other Stage' makes it sound like 'Not The Pyramid Stage', which might put some performers off a bit if they think they're being invited to play on a stage that's second best in some way . . .

Then again, f**k 'em if they're that vain! Every band should jump at the chance at playing at Glasto even if its on the Tadpole Stage or something :P

I've always loved the fact that it's called the "Other Stage" - that's so Glastonbury to me. No need for sponsorship, or a gimmick.

Except.... it used to be a sponsored stage - it was the NME Stage.

Michael ended the relationship with NME because he got pissed off with them referring to Glastonbury Festival in their worthless mag as 'the NME festival'.

Ever since they've been trying to worm their way back in. For example, a year or three ago, NME gave their "best festival" award to Glastonbury; within a few days after that they were on the phone to Michael saying "could we please have x0,000 tickets to sell exclusively to our readers?" Now it could be that those two things were unrelated, but from what I've heard there's always a follow-up on the occasions that Glasto gets the 'best fest' award, before it reverts back to its default of Reading fest until the next time.