The Park

Guest Ian_Mackay

A huge Radiohead friend of mine - who had 3 weeks notice that were playing The Park - but who still got there too late described it to me like this....

"I'd have been better off putting a Radiohead CD on in my bedroom while I was in the kitchen. With the doors shut". :lol:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That was basically it.

Where I was on the hill, it was such bad sight and sound that people gave up and instead made their own entertainment by watching people throw themselves down the mud slide that had been created in the rain. It was like watching total wipeout, to a barely audible soundtrack of radiohead.

Why couldn't everyone have the chance to enjoy radiohead at glasto, and not just those couple of thousand who can squeeze infront of the sound desk at the park. Anywhere else at that stage is a waste of time.

Because the bands in question want to play to keen, motivated fans, not tourists who are seeing whatever happens to flash in front of their eyes while they hover around the Pyramid all day.

Because the bands in question have contractual obligations with other festivals, not to appear on the bill.

Because a set at the park has more soul than a set at the Pyramid.

The problem wasn’t the stage but the fact that it wasn't actually a secret - virtually everyone on site knew hours before who it was going to be.

Last year it only came out about 10 minutes before the set began that it was Thom Yorke and it wasn't really confirmed until he walked out on stage, that seemed to work much better.

I think you either have to keep the special guests a secret until the very last minute, or put them on the pyramid stage.

Last year I got a text 3 minutes before Thom was due onstage. I was wandering back to my tent in Park Home. Got the text and said to my boyfriend "run"!

I couldn't see, but could hear. If I'd if missed it it would have been my own fault for not being there.

I'd of liked not to have known in a way this year.

I think it's probably unlikely that you would get special guests of that magnitude normally, they haven't usually been that big

Secret set should really be at a secret time and secret location, say the crows nest, the bandstand or somewhere in shangri la early morning or late at night. That would be special (if anyone turns up!) announce it 15 minutes before they are due on

Just look at the special guest threads on here before the festival, we all thought it would be someone big so we all turned up just in case

That's not the point - The organizers know that there will be a big crowd if they put someone like Radiohead on, and it should be their duty to make the experience a good one - i.e. put them on an area that can accommodate the capacity. Or keep it a bloody secret.

i think the special guests/secret bars etc have come to the end of their usefulness...

a special guest everyone knows about is pointless as is a secret tunnel that everyone knows about(rabbit hole was packed all the time and people only wanted in their cos its a'secret')

i think the whole thing needs a massive re-think..

its not so much the concept of a "secret gig" that I have a problem with. If Radiohead had turned up in avalon at midnight then I would have been, fair enough - well played for those people that got to see them. Instead its "we have a massive band playing at this small stage at this time." Loads goes to see them, only a small number get to watch them.

I was there for BAD before Radiohead. Up the front to the left in front of a speaker. Good view of the stage. Txted a friend our position and he skirted the outside up to the back of the ribbon tower and down the left hand side fence and stalls landing beside us 3 minutes before Thom et al came on.......... There was still a fair bit of room there also......

Our problem turned out to be that the sound was too loud and we had to put small bits of tissue in our ears as our ear drums were crackling!! For those on the hill they would need other sound stacks..........to turn it up more would of ended in ear bleeding for a lot..........

I didn't go to any of the secret gigs this year as I knew from the popularity of bands like Radiohead and Pulp, what an almighty crush it would be. These gigs worked well three or four years ago when they were actually secret but now everyone knows in advance who is playing so they may as well just put them on the list at the same time the other acts are announced. They could then move them to larger stages and put the smaller acts on at the Park instead.

Definitely the best way in as long as you could actually get into the Park. On Friday I arrived at about 7.15, and it looked packed, but walked up behind the ribbons and down past the Lands End bar on the left hand side to about 20 rows back. Did the same thing on Saturday arrived midway through Tame Impalas set, waited to the end and did the same thing. 30 minutes later the majestic Pulp were on!

Also did anyone go up to the Crows Nest after Pulp? Just to get out of the crush leaving the area i wondered up there and saw The Master Musicians Of Joujouka playing an almost trance inducing set - Absolutely a wonderful suprise