Guest Hart Attack

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is, casual Machine Head fans probably were thinking I'll just watch them at a festival next year.

And for me I was badly put off by BMTH supporting, Andy Copping is trying to defend the decision saying that MH asked for them, but it was a fucking stupid decision, I doubt theres hardly any crossover in fanbase, they were booed at every show apparently.

But this tour was on sale for 6 months, they started advertising it at Download this year, flyers were everywhere and it was on the big screen all the time, and for that mass marketing, its been plugged on download website whole time and Metal Hammer etc and they only sold 5k for Wembley, its a shocking figure.

I'm not sure I agree with those sales figures. If I recall correctly they sold out the standing allocation of tickets? And the standing area was pretty rammed during machine head. The seating area was pretty empty towards the back and higher tiers, but I'd still say between a third and a half full of seated. I'd say they sold at least 7/8 thousand at least. But maybe I'm not the best person to judge as I've never been to Wembley before so not sure how packed it gets, but yes I'm not sure that's entirely true.

I'm not sure I agree with those sales figures. If I recall correctly they sold out the standing allocation of tickets? And the standing area was pretty rammed during machine head. The seating area was pretty empty towards the back and higher tiers, but I'd still say between a third and a half full of seated. I'd say they sold at least 7/8 thousand at least. But maybe I'm not the best person to judge as I've never been to Wembley before so not sure how packed it gets, but yes I'm not sure that's entirely true.

I'm thinking 2 of the headliners will be guns n roses and Tool. GNR are doing a Polish festival (heavily rumoured too, anyways) the week before Sonisphere, could see them doing some of the tour. Tool have just announced some US dates for next year quite early on meaning you'd expect them to not be in the states over summer, and with a new album out in May to promote, could see them coming over to do some EU festivals followed by some of their own tour dates later in the year...Time machine to 2006 it seems :P

I'd be happy with both though, I know GNR would be rather controversial, but assuming Axl actually showed up near enough on time, it'd be a great show.

I'm thinking 2 of the headliners will be guns n roses and Tool. GNR are doing a Polish festival (heavily rumoured too, anyways) the week before Sonisphere, could see them doing some of the tour. Tool have just announced some US dates for next year quite early on meaning you'd expect them to not be in the states over summer, and with a new album out in May to promote, could see them coming over to do some EU festivals followed by some of their own tour dates later in the year...Time machine to 2006 it seems :P

I'd be happy with both though, I know GNR would be rather controversial, but assuming Axl actually showed up near enough on time, it'd be a great show.

Aye. To be fair though, their own gigs sold out quickly, so I think despite the risk, they'll still have enough draw to sell out or help sell out a 60k festival. As you say Reading was a bit of a disaster, but then Axl has worked with Stuart before and seems to be on good terms with him - where as he clearly had issues with Melvin which were one of the main reasons for the whole late thing. They're touring with Duff mackagan in the states next year, and have the RnR Hall of fame induction which might spark a reunion, but that's unlikely - though maybe Duff'll at least come back?. Sebastian Bach is doing festivals next year, so could see him following GNR around like he did in 2006. But aye, pretty certain it'll be them now...and if that's not enough the soni twitter tweeted Paradise city lyrics last night :P

Fair enough, but if you don't like them live now, I doubt an appetite or UYI era line up would change that :P

I do agree its a risk, but at the same time Axl wasn't quite as late at Leeds - and as I said it was mostly spawned from a dispute he had with Melvin, where as he's done shows with Stuart before with no real issues. Most of his gigs bar the odd few he's been on time as well over the past few years, the lateness at Reading isn't the norm for them.

My wife loves the band and know about them than me and she says that they are late more than they are on time, you only need to look at the gigs at Reading, Manchester and Dublin to see that!

US rockers Guns N' Roses turned up over 90 minutes late for their eagerly-anticipated M.E.N. Arena gig - and must now wait to hear whether bosses there will take any action against them.

The Arena has an 11pm curfew for all gigs - to allow revellers to get trains and buses home.

However, the rock 'n' rollers didn't even arrive on stage until 10.35pm - an hour-and-a-half late - and then played on until 1.10am.

From 10pm there were audible boos from the audience who had become increasingly impatient while waiting for the band to arrive, but they were replaced by cheers when frontman Axl Rose and his band bounded onto stage to perform a blistering two-and-a-half-hour set including some of their biggest hits like Sweet Child O'Mine, You Could Be Mine and Paradise City.

A spokesman for the M.E.N Arena said: “The M.E.N Arena holds a 24 hour entertainment licence. However, to tie in with local transport links, we always ask that shows finish by 11.00pm. The majority of acts comply with this policy, however Guns N’ Roses have a well-publicised history of late performances of which their fans are fully aware. Last night’s late finish would have been no surprise to the majority of fans."

Because of the 24 hour licence, the Arena will not face any sanctions from the licensing authorities for the late running of the gig. But the Arena itself could take action against the band, although they have not yet confirmed whether this will be the case.

Guns N' Roses' ongoing Chinese Democracy Tour has been frought with controversy since arriving in the UK. The band's apppearance at the Reading and Leeds Festival in the summer was cut short by organisers after they over-ran the curfew there by an hour, and at their Dublin gig they were bottled off stage by fans after their late start, before being persuaded to return and complete the gig.

In fact the time they played in Manchester before that in 2006 they were 2 hours late on stage, bascially they have no respect for the fans watching and expect them to wait until they are ready to play, I don't care about the late curfew side of things but I would be pretty pissed off at a festival if I missed other bands because I was stuck in a field waiting for Axl to decide when he was ready to come on stage.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/live_concerts/guns_n_roses/uk_manchester_june_23_2006/index.html

As I said, more recently... the only ones I was aware they were late for in the past couple of years touring were Dublin and Reading (and they've done a lot of tour dates). I don't think the lateness is acceptable, and I agree it's a big risk, but despite Axl being a twat they can still sell out arenas and stadiums with ease, so I'd imagine they'd be booked regardless.

Like I said, if they are on time, it'll be an amazing show, if they do another 'reading' then that'll be a disaster, but we'd need to wait till July to find that out - assuming they play.

Edited by kipper64

I would def go if it was the original line up Axel/Duff/Slash/Izzy/Adler or Sorum and the festival would basically sell out then and their . But its just the lateness that would annoy me ( i know its been a trademark of the band from the begining) but being from 90-120 mins late is unexceptable imo . I remember listening to the radio when they played her in Dublin last year and was very happy with my decision not to go to the gig

Fair enough, but if you don't like them live now, I doubt an appetite or UYI era line up would change that :P

I do agree its a risk, but at the same time Axl wasn't quite as late at Leeds - and as I said it was mostly spawned from a dispute he had with Melvin, where as he's done shows with Stuart before with no real issues. Most of his gigs bar the odd few he's been on time as well over the past few years, the lateness at Reading isn't the norm for them.

Aye I heard at Reading they were saying they needed quite a while between themselves and QotSA finishing to prep - which they didn't get.

Soni could always just have them on the Friday, let them set up on Apollo, whilst bands play on Saturn before they take the stage. Gives them plenty of time to setup, and keeps people entertained with bands playing the other stage.