Can an EOTR regular please explain the stages and tents.

Guest baroquepop

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noe THAT'S why we love EOTR! We have a mini-heated debate about something and Simon posts within a day or two to clarify.

Is there ANY festival quite like 'ours'?!

I've been thinking about this a lot in the run up to Glastonbury. I've never been to Pilton and maybe never will, though I wouldn't rule it out in terms of I would never wish to. I will also very much enjoy watching a lot of stuff on TV over the coming weekend. But, in terms of feeling 'special', I honestly don't think that even the Big One can compete with EOTR. Glastonbury has become so very mainstream musically, and whilst I realise that it is about SO much more than the music, if you look at the typical EOTR-goer, I would suggest that for them a sub-par music line-up could not be made up for by a great non-music line-up. I'm also pleased that EOTR is small enough not to attract any TV coverage etc. Glastonbury seems very much to have become for many the place to be seen, as much as being somewhere to experience the arts.

From 1-5 September I will be part of a lovely little community isolated from the entire world outside of its borders and special ONLY for those of us on the inside.

You might have gathered that I can't bloody wait!

Ben

Simon has asked for the following post on the forum to provide some clarity to the questions raised on these forums.....

-----------

Following on from my Festival blog post on virtual festivals the other day I would like to respond to the questions asked here about stages and capacity.

For the past 2 years our capacity has been 7,000, not 5,000 (our original quota).

We watched the effects of the increase carefully and felt it had no negative impact at all on the intimate atmosphere, facilities, food and beer queues etc.

In fact the effect was the opposite: the energy of the festival increased without there being any sense of overcrowding.

Tickets sell out every year and many go disappointed, so if we can increase availability without compromising on the atmosphere, we will.

A beneficial side effect is a bigger organisational budget which we hope comes through in what we think is our best lineup so far.

This year we're also trying out a new outdoor stage - The Woods Stage, and a new comedy set-up - Comedy in the Forest.

Facilities, camping etc will increase accordingly.

From our point of view, each year it feels like the spirit of End of the Road is animated, not compromised, by constantly forcing ourselves to come to the

festival with fresh eyes.

Stages and areas are listed on this page http://www.endoftheroadfestival.com/stages-and-areas/ of our website.

Lineup times and a site plan will be added in the next few weeks.

The Local will take up a new residency in the Tipi on Friday.

Regards Simon.

Hmmm - that's quite a shift from the email received when booking for 2010:

First of all, just to explain the current capacity as we've always talked about 5,000 when we started the festival, but that was referring to the number of punters, rather than the actual "capacity", which is 7,000, which equals roughly 5,500 tickets + 500 children + 1,000 staff (stewards, security, traders/caterers, artists, guests etc.) and the intimacy and atmosphere is very, very important to us and hence we don't have any plans to increase from 7,000 to 10,000 at this moment in time, especially as it is working so well.

Thanks for clearing things up Simon - much appreciated. A jump from 7000 to 8500 isn't too brutal and of course an additional stage should take up most of the slack. My main concern is the loss of intimacy we've enjoyed these past 4 years. I'm old and ugly enough to remember when The Big Chill was held at LTG. In 1999 it was a lovely festival; lots of little known bands playing to a small appreciative audience in a wonderful setting. Word got out about this magical event and each year it became bigger and bawdier until finally they had to uproot to their current site at Eastnor.

The last Chill at Larmer Tree was a terrible squeeze and far from chilled. Unfortunately it was the one and only time that the main arena was situated outside the garden area, suddenly it felt like we were at Reading or Leeds, the spell was broken and - for me at least - it was game over.

I'm hoping and praying EOTR doesn't go the same way because it really is a very special festival indeed.

Of course this does completely muddle all my thinking as to who might play where and when!

Eg....I was sure Midlake would be on before Beirut on the "main stage" but it turns out I didn't even know where the main stage was! And Midlake on the Garden at the same time as Beirut are on the Woods would suit me absolutely down to the ground - and possibly make Ben cry............but then I really can't see them putting Joanna Newsom and Laura Marling on at the same time............Okkervil River headlining the Garden up against any of the headliners would also be fab (for me).......although of course the Woods stage goes on till 23:59 on Sunday.....actually, can that be right? An open air stage continuing later on the Sunday than either Saturday or Friday??????? Seems odd....

...head spinning, too much information, too little information......tantalising!

One immediate thought - all those hour long (or more) sets....all of the Woods, vast majority of Garden and most of the Big Top.... has to be a good thing.....many of us have said that the real added strength of this bill is a bit down the list, not at the top....and the fact that the vast majority of acts are going to get at least an hour.......making me smile it is!

You are, as ever, on the money, Mr E. I am welling up at the increasingly concerning clash disaster that seems inevitable for me. My anxiety has started even after the solitary stage time yet published - I really expect to watch the indescribably fun Brakes, and yet their headline slot at 9pm on Sunday in the Big Top has got Clashtastic written all over it... :(

Ben

Thanks for the update Simon.

I'm a bit uneasy about how the extra 1,500 people will work too, though I have faith in the organisers.

No point harking back to the days when you could wander up the sides of the Garden Stage arena for Super Furries or any other headliner and plonk yourself right at the front. Though they were great times ;)

I have enjoyed getting back to the tent after a band then back to the front for the next one, all in 30 mins. :)

I'm sure any changes will only enhance the festival, although I'm sure the size of EOTR is one big factor in all of us loving it so much. I think the thought of having the 'main' stage in a different location scared me the most, although I know this isn't really confirmed, just guess work... - I love the Garden Stage me :)

That all said, I'm not sure Simon's post made that much sense in isolation. There's an attendance level beyond which the whole feel and atmosphere of a festival irrevocably changes, especially if there's not much room for the whole area to likewise expand. I can't envisage another 1500 people there on top of 2009 attendance won't make any difference to the core EOTR community feel. Plus he just ignored the queries about why a perfectly good main stage in a perfectly good area has been superceded.

mmmm...whilst I want to be enthusiastic about the changes mentioned in this thread I'm really struggling. Even if it's only 1500 more that's a lot of extra people on a site like that. Also, the great thing about EOTR in previous years has been that there are rarely any clashes that are insurmountable both because of the close proximity of the stages. I really hope the magic of the woods and the surprise sets there aren't compromised by the new stage that sounds like it's going there.

I do trust Simon and Sofia but the additional stage and any increase in capacity makes me nervous. I'm also disappointed that it's been done when the overwhelming response on here and elsewhere from EOTR regulars has been 'please don't do it'. I don't care about a bigger budget, if I wanted to see big budget bands I'd go elsewhere. Sorry, I don't think the increase already to 7000 has made it any more dynaminc and exciting and as for tickets selling out, if people want to buy tickets they have plenty long enough. If they sell out then tough, buy your ticket earlier. I'm really worried this will go the way of Green Man and Latitude in the next year or two and that would be such a huge loss. I hope it doesn't. :(

I agree that the ease/speed of getting around is important...and that increasing the capacity is a risk to the atmosphere....but I am really hopeful that they are doing this the right way....

...it seems that they've swapped having a choice of smaller stages (ie the Local and Tipi) for a choice of bigger stages (ie the Woods and Garden). This should mean that no one place will be any more crowded/populous than it has been before.

I have one slight concern about sound "bleeding" between the two open air stages but am confident they will have thought of that themselves.

Hopefully the Woods stage will be located in a part of the site that's previously been unused and roughly back-to-back with the Garden so there can be no sound interference.

Anyway, I have faith.

In the organisers I mean, not generally. Generally I'm a cynical b'stard!

Don't be stupid, they're not increasing capacity just because Newsom or whoever is headlining - the fact we've only just found out capacity was 2,000 more than we ever thought it was for the last two years goes against that thinking. It's just maybe possible that Simon and Sofia really like her and she was available. On some level all festivals have to "grow", because otherwise they get bad reputations and people stop coming.

Edited by Donny Osmond

It's really good of Simon to try and answer concerns - that sort of personal touch is one reason why we love EotR. But the other main reason is its intimacy. I'd like to ask one simple question - what is the reasoning behind increasing capacity? If it's to get the budget to get 'bigger' artists, well we were happy with the 'bigness' of the artists we got previously: up and coming, carefully selected acts like Fleet Foxes, Mumford & Sons and so on. If we wanted stars we'd go somewhere else. And if it's not about changing the type of acts we get, then what other motive can there be than making more money?

I hope I'm wrong about this, but it doesn't feel good. Embrace change, yes - but what I (selfishly) want is an EotR exactly like the last couple of years...

I've been thinking about this a lot in the run up to Glastonbury. I've never been to Pilton and maybe never will, though I wouldn't rule it out in terms of I would never wish to. I will also very much enjoy watching a lot of stuff on TV over the coming weekend. But, in terms of feeling 'special', I honestly don't think that even the Big One can compete with EOTR. Glastonbury has become so very mainstream musically, and whilst I realise that it is about SO much more than the music, if you look at the typical EOTR-goer, I would suggest that for them a sub-par music line-up could not be made up for by a great non-music line-up. I'm also pleased that EOTR is small enough not to attract any TV coverage etc. Glastonbury seems very much to have become for many the place to be seen, as much as being somewhere to experience the arts.

Ben

I wasn't suggesting capacity has been increased just because of Newsom or whoever (that would be stupid!). What I meant was that Simon says "a beneficial side effect is a bigger organisational budget" & I'm looking at the headliners & thinking that's not really making me feel better about the increased capacity. Obviously there's a fair degree of subjectivity about this, but as they've previously managed to attract some of my favourite bands as headliners it was unlikely to soften the blow whoever was headlining this year.

I agree with the previous comments. What made EOTR so amazing in the past (i've been 3 times) was the intimacy it provided combined with the amazing line-ups, art and beautiful location.

As a family, we did notice it seemed busier last year, and whilst it was still amazing, i'm fearful of the impact of an even greater capacity.

In the past, the support line up has been so brilliant and thoughtfully selected, i'd happily forego some big name artists to ensure the atmosphere continues as before.

We've been to larger festivals (eg. Latitude and Greenman) and found the trade off for larger headliners and therefore more people off putting. Obviously the organisers want to expand and i understand why. I just hope that what i've loved so much about EOTR and the great work Sophia and Simon have done is not compromised by the expansion.

They've done such an amazing job previously i guess we can only hope they understand the dangers and have addressed them accordingly.

All that said and done, can't wait until September!

Edited by staffop

The last Chill at Larmer Tree was a terrible squeeze and far from chilled. Unfortunately it was the one and only time that the main arena was situated outside the garden area, suddenly it felt like we were at Reading or Leeds, the spell was broken and - for me at least - it was game over.

I don't post here much but I feel the need to right now because I genuinely care about EOTR, I've been to all of them apart 2009, I even had a bit of my honeymoon at the 2008 festival. Im a bona-fide fan and have loved it for years now and respect the organisers.

Its a really special festival and I think we are all quite entitled to be concerned that the magic may be lost with an increase in capacity,

I have had quite mixed views on the direction that EOTR has been going in this year, firstly I was unimpressed with the hike in ticket price, then decrease in the number of acts playing (correct me if im wrong) and now the increase in capacity.

I've always said I like EOTR because there are no (or few) dickheads about, but last year the dickhead quota was noticeably increased. Surely the increase in capacity and dubious booking of quite a few acts that are more suited to Field Day (HEALTH! FFS!) then EOTR isn't going to help this.

Im sure it will all be fine and its good to see the organisers do care what the loyal EOTR's + frequent posters here, think but lets hope that it never loses its original ethos.

Well the price-hike was absolutely inevitable - Fuel represents a massive part of a festival's (and it's suppliers) expenses - Getting everything there, generators....so all festivals have had massive rises in costs recently. Add to that the fact that EOTR books such a high proportion of US/canadian/etc acts - so not only more travel cost issues but also exchange rate issues.

I've been worried that, no matter how well it did, EOTR would flounder for these reasons. If the price hike and capacity increase are the only way they can make a profit, then so be it.

There does seem to be an attitude on many festival forums that whatever organisers should do it just for the love and their only concern should be to make their existing customers happy. The fact is (other than rich men's vanity projects) a festival HAS to make a profit to exist. In fact, to allow several people to spend an enormous proportion of their life organising it, a festival has to make a sizeable chunk of profit.

I'm guessing the price rise was inevitable and, in an attempt to justify the price rise, the capacity increase and the effective two main stage set up was devised. I dispute that the headliners are any "bigger" than before but there are definitely more names in that second strata, ie Okkervil River, Unthanks, Lykke li level. And I am adamant that, overall, the line-up is stronger than ever before (even though I happen to not like many of the top six acts).

I have to say that my impression is that there are virtually the same number of acts - I would actually guess that there are slightly more if anything - but I can't be bothered to work it out.

Has to be said though that, unlike many round here it seems, I am a person who loves change....in fact I get quite angsty if things stay the same for too long! So maybe I'm just a weirdo!!!!!