Can an EOTR regular please explain the stages and tents.

Guest baroquepop

Am I the only person in the World who actually don't think Pulp are all that great? I really like Jarvis as a 'person' (or rather, my perception of what he's like, obviously), but I've struggled to get beyond his stage persona and vocal to see Pulp as anything other than a bit of a novelty act. I would group them (not by genre, but by philosophy) with bands like Madness, Hold Steady, Barenaked Ladies. None of them offensive, just that, whilst I don't need beard-stroking earnestness, I do rather like bands to at least appear to take their music 'seriously'.

Is it just me? It is, isn't it? OK. I can live with that.

Ben

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're definitely not alone, a lot of people I know would agree with you. To be honest I struggled to find anyone interested to go to their gig at Wireless.

Interesting what you saw about taking music "seriously" though. I would be the opposite in that I'd often rather people didn't take themselves so seriously when it comes to music :)

Oh Help....thats masses to catch up on after two weeks of sunning myself on an empty beach! Hi Donny Osmond nice to see you back, think I agree with you and Seadragon on some points. Last year I def noticed the increased capacity from 2008, and there were more dickheads than I previously remembered.

I felt quite undecided about actually going this year even tho I had bought two tickets. Maybe theres little point in looking backwards to 2008 and 09 when I had a fabulous time, but I feel a lot less excited now,even tho Okkervil River have been announced.

Ben I hope that you will be supplying maps and timetables, old age is setting in!!!

Newcomer and first-time End Of The Roader here, I've been lurking for a while and thought I'd add my two cents on the capacity argument...

I've been a committed Latitude goer for almost as long as it's been running, mainly because it's really close to where I used to live, and my family's still around those parts. But I decided to make last year's one my last, and last year there was a huge capacity increase that caused quite a bit of controversy because the site couldn't cope with it, the bridge over the lake between the arena and the campsite in particular got so gridlocked at times it started to look like the Dartford toll crossing. But I think the problem last year was that the line-up appealed to the young (Florence and Vampire Weekend as two of the headliners) and it obviously falls conveniently on the weekend when most schools finish for the summer. The campsite wasn't too busy, the bars weren't too busy and even the main paths were crowded but not overwhelmingly so, but nevertheless it totally ruined the atmosphere of what used to be a very peaceful festival by having 10,000 more drunk 15-year-old brats running around. But it's obvious that they were only there for certain acts - I didn't bother with Florence or VW but when Mumfords played in the middle of the afternoon the entire main stage area was totally packed out, I left after two songs because they were putting on an absolutely awful show and found that all the other stages were full of people there to watch the music, not just get drunk and talk loudly to their mates. Things like Belle & Sebastian and Steve Mason showing his coal mining film, we managed to walk straight into and watch without problem. And to be honest I can't imagine the likes of Mogwai attracting this sort of crowd.

I chose EOTR this year primarily on the strength of its line-up, because I have a totally bi-polar taste where I mostly listen to folk or post-rock/shoegaze/noisy stuff, so seeing the likes of Midlake, Dry The River, Josh T Pearson and the Unthanks alongside Mogwai, Wooden Shjips and Bo Ningen is a dream come true to me. It seems that they've gone for a line-up to appeal to proper music fans instead of going for obvious commercial bookings to sell tickets, like Latitude have this year with Paulo Nutini and Suede. Like I said, Latitude probably could just about have handled the capacity increase but it was the demographic of the festival-goer that year that spoilt it for me.

I've seen a few people on here saying last year wasn't as good as previous years - I was talking to a mate the other week who went last year for the first time and said it was the best festival she's ever been to! And after she told me about all the other stuff that goes on apart from the music... I really can't wait until September now! I'm also glad to see that there's an on-site real ale festival, since I'm much more partial to popping to the nearest bar for a proper pint throughout the day at festivals than spending all day sitting in the campsite drinking warm cans of Carling waiting for that day's headliner to go on...

_r_ I totally agree with you. Like you, my partner and I live relatively close to the Henham estate. We found the experience / atmosphere to be exactly the same at Latitude Festival last year. We vowed never to go again what with the majority of crowds being drunken kids between the ages of 13 - 17 that were set on destroying other people's experience of a 'family friendly festival'. However we are attending on the sunday for the day as Iron and Wine are playing, we saw them last year at EOTR and really enjoyed them. We're so lucky to have found EOTR, we've been coming since 2009 and are very much looking forward to returning in September!

Latitude really spoilt itself last year - as you said, the main headliner's being targeted toward insolent tweens and teenagers who were just out to get totally wasted. Also i'm sure you heard about the allegations (really not welcome at a family festival!) We left that weekend with a really nasty taste in our mouths - If we experience the same thing as last year we really won't be returning. We're giving Latitude the benefit of the doubt because it was truly a great festival between 2007-2009, and hope it can redeem itself, but our hearts now lie with EOTR, even if it takes us a good 5 hours to get down there! We love the people, the experience, surroundings and atmosphere and is truly a little piece of paradise for 4 lovely days.

Without in any way trying to dismiss your anxiety, seadragon, I personally feel that it's important not to fall into a pattern of presumption. By that I mean that, just because we have seen many a festival change for the worst, must we assume that dear little EoTR will do the same? Is it inevitable that as a consequence of continued popularity and critical acclaim the organisers of EOTR will inevitably be seduced by the lure of cash at the expense of all the festival 'stands for'?

Naive I most certainly am, but optimistic in equal measure. The philosophy that spawned EOTR in the first place seems to have prevailed unsullied up to now. Shouldn't we credit the organisers with knowing what 'sort' of event they wish to be associated with. If the festival has to grow, a little, in order to establish itself as a robust business model (which it undoubtedly does, as touched on more eloquently than I could by Geof earlier) that needn't preclude it from reaching a ceiling of size that secures its future whilst retaining its character.

As I have commented previously, for me EOTR 2009 was wonderful, but a bit 'empty' (Fleet Foxes lock-out notwithstanding). I wanted the Big Top rammed for headliners, for the DJ sets. I wanted a hot and sweaty, but not horribly uncomfortable atmosphere, SOME of the time.

So what of the sell-out? Reading and Leeds are offering easy-payment deals; Latitude sans Florence is not sold out with three weeks to go. Green Man still available...

Now I realise that EOTR has many fewer tickets than any of those, and that with the explosion in the number of festivals taking place, there is more competition for the punters' money. But, EOTR has managed to sell all it's tickets, a number we are starting to get a bit hysterical about, more than 2 MONTHS before the event and with with a line-up that can only be described as solidly non-mainstream. Most people I know have never even heard OF 99% of EOTR bands, let alone heard any of their music. So why has EOTR done so well? Marketing? Appropriate profile for a festival of it's size - I would say a 'proportional' campaign. Is it because it's getting to be one of VERY few festivals that offer an overall package that appeals to 'genuine' music lovers? By that I am NOT intentionally being a music-snob, as I acknowledge that some may 'love' Rihanna as much as I love, say, Other Lives (gosh, I've fallen for that band), but I think it's fair to say they are probably less intimately or more transiently 'involved' in the music they listen to, that the majority of EOTR-goers.

What I am failing to articulate in my morass of hyperbole is this: I see the record-breaking sell-out, particularly when put into context next to the struggles that traditional rock-solid festivals are experiencing, as nothing but an endorsement of the organisers staying true to their original objectives and ambitions. I personally welcome a small, controlled and not repeated increase in numbers at EOTR as helping it to evolve into the festival it was born to be. One that caters for the discerning music fan, that challenges and entertains, but one that looks after its customers and can remain intimate and personal in a sea of increasingly faceless, identikit, corporate chav-magnets. Are you listening, Mr Eavis?

Ben

Edited by seadragon

Only just saw this reply and yeah ignore me...was in a particularly bad mood that day :P ...still though, I'm not happy with the changes and I'm reserving judgement for the time being. I'm yet to be convinced that any additional capacity is a good thing and I'd have gladly paid a bit more to keep the numbers the same. In fact I met someone else who's a regular at the weekend and they hadn't realised there was a capacity increase and their response was 'oh nooooooo....' when I told them. I guess we'll see soon enough...I hope you're right.

The one thing that concerns me more than anything else about an increased capacity is the chance you may miss something because there are too many people already there. I know they only allow so many people into the garden stage area before it's a one out one in scenario (happened for the Fleet Foxes if i remember correctly) and i presume the tipi and big top tents only allow so many in so i'm hoping that those tents are bigger this year to accommodate the extra numbers.

There's a new main stage, the Garden Stage is the second stage this year. I can't work out where they'll put it, but I don't think stage capacity will be the problem. (My worry is that the stages will be too far from the presumably expanded camping area/not enough food/toilets...I hate queuing...)

There's a new main stage, the Garden Stage is the second stage this year. I can't work out where they'll put it, but I don't think stage capacity will be the problem. (My worry is that the stages will be too far from the presumably expanded camping area/not enough food/toilets...I hate queuing...)