Iceland Volcanic Ash Cloud

Guest clarebear86

So the Iceland volcanic ash cloud is apparently heading our way, experts are saying that we shouldn't expect the chaos that we had last year but i'm more than slightly worried about it. We're flying from Belfast to Bristol for glasto and would hate for the flight to be cancelled.

I was just wondering was anyone affected by it last year and if so, what was the deal with getting refunds on cancelled flights? Did you get them straight away or have to wait for ages? Just wondering incase we have to book a boat etc...

he Grimsvotn volcano in Iceland erupted last Saturday and the ash cloud is expected to reach Scotland, Northern England and Northern Ireland by the early hours of Tuesday morning. It does not necessarily mean there will be airspace closures but flight disruption is possible.

easyJet is liaising closely with the Met Office, National Air Traffic Services and the Civil Aviation Authority to monitor the situation and will take their guidance on any action required from us.

We strongly recommend that passengers travelling to / from the following airports on Tuesday 24th May, visit easyJet.com to check the status of their flight prior to travelling to the airport:-

• Inverness;

• Aberdeen

• Edinburgh

• Glasgow

• Newcastle

• Belfast

• Liverpool

• Manchester

this was on the easyjet website....really hope it doesnt continue :(

Guys! We are one whole month from the festival! Don't panic. Even all the trouble that we had last year only lasted for a week - ten days.

If you are determined to panic and worry about hypotheticals:

- It's unlikely that your travel insurance will cover you - most policies typically doesn't cover "acts of God", check the policy wording.

- Buying a policy now would definitely not cover you, as the volcano has already started erupting - all policies exclude things that were present at the time that you took the policy out.

- If a flight is cancelled, you're legally entitled to a full refund of the ticket from the airline, even if it's due to an act of God etc. How quickly you're refunded depends on the airline, but some can really drag their feet. So don't count on getting the money back quickly.

During last year's eruption UK airspace was shut down completely by the authorities as a precaution, but this time airlines will make their own decisions about whether it is safe to fly. They have already undergone risk assessments so the only people you can check with are your individual airline. Plus, Glastonbury is over a month away... no way will this problem still exist then! :D all will be well :D

- It's unlikely that your travel insurance will cover you - most policies typically doesn't cover "acts of God", check the policy wording.

- Buying a policy now would definitely not cover you, as the volcano has already started erupting - all policies exclude things that were present at the time that you took the policy out.

- If a flight is cancelled, you're legally entitled to a full refund of the ticket from the airline, even if it's due to an act of God etc. How quickly you're refunded depends on the airline, but some can really drag their feet. So don't count on getting the money back quickly.

Check yer news in detail folks.

Guardian's report from today.

A CAA spokesman said all major UK airlines already had safety preparations for medium-density ash clouds.

"We are in a much better position than last time," he said. "Safety will still be paramount but we will be able to drastically reduce disruption compared to last time, provided there is not a huge amount of high-density ash." The spokesman said a similar level of ash to the Eyjafjallajökull incident would not result in a mass-grounding. "It will be a different picture." However, jets will have to divert around high-density clouds, causing delays on some routes, because no UK airline has submitted a safety case for flying through heavy ash plumes.

Edited by William of Walworth

So the Iceland volcanic ash cloud is apparently heading our way, experts are saying that we shouldn't expect the chaos that we had last year but i'm more than slightly worried about it. We're flying from Belfast to Bristol for glasto and would hate for the flight to be cancelled.

I was just wondering was anyone affected by it last year and if so, what was the deal with getting refunds on cancelled flights? Did you get them straight away or have to wait for ages? Just wondering incase we have to book a boat etc...

I'm supposed to go to Egypt on the 10th and fly back on the 17th. I doubt it will go on that long, but who knows. I was in Florida last time and I'm sure the knock on effect lasted at least three weeks.

More to the point if it does go on. How many artists are flying in? U2 for certain. Beyoncnull probably. There'd still be a lot of bands to see, and it certainly wouldn't ruin it for me in any way. Would be disappointing though.

Must be time to sacrifice a virgin. The problem will be finding one.

There's nothing to worry about as festival is over a month away will def be sorted by then. Tbh even if worst comes to the worst I cant see how Glasto could work cos loads of the acts would not be able to get here either but its not going to happen so no need to worry about it thankfully

Guys! We are one whole month from the festival! Don't panic. Even all the trouble that we had last year only lasted for a week - ten days.

If you are determined to panic and worry about hypotheticals:

@Lucy, most companies no longer use the term, however the media and, more importantly, the public still do. I would expect that if you were to check the terms and conditions from 100 large companies there would be less than 10 that still contained the phrase. I know that the company that I work for removed it years ago following emails and letters from angry athiests complaining that a fictional character cannot be responsible for anything.