Challenge 21

Guest John K

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm saying it should be part of the standard pastoral education in secondary schools, along with info about alcohol units, drink driving, etc. -- How that's achieved without the Mail accusing the education system of promoting drinking, well, that's a puzzle for someone other than me to solve :P

Or, the Portman Group should fund better advertising -- and the government should fund them to do so. The "contract" such as it is between the Portman Group (which represents the alcohol industry) and the government is that they keep their house in order, and the government keeps legislation light.

As for the wristband thing, I think it's far more pressing to see it implemented at Reading, TITP etc. where they have a bigger problem with the hazards of under age drinking. While Glastonbury is certainly not without it's fair share of post exam over zealous revelry, it's less of a problem, most other students I've met there have been respectful and distanced themselves from the Reading crowd.

A lot of clubs do incist on it being passport/driving license. I've had trouble before with clubs and bars with the citizencard.

Driving license is the way to go, its really no more risky than taking it in town as someone has already said. I don't get the problem I've never lost in some of the states I've been in before so don't see it as any more likely at Glasto tbh. (Obviously putting it with your cash in the lock ups at night to though ;):P)

A driving licence is fine if you're happy to take it, but you shouldn't have any problems with a PASS card at Glastonbury. The festival has issued a comprehensive list of what is and isn't acceptable, complete with sample pictures and other information.

Accepted ID:

– Current Drivers Licence / Provisional licence – UK or overseas

– Current Passport – UK or overseas

– Valid National ID card – Overseas only. There is not currently a valid UK national ID card

– PASS Scheme cards www.pass-scheme.org - UK only

– Ireland Age Card

These will NOT be accepted:

– NUS Cards, ISIC or any other student cards

– Forces ID cards

– Photocopies of identification documents

– Any identification where the validity period has expired

Edited by posthuman

Worth considering that the issues associated with serving those under age could be very troublesome for GFL.

The fines are substantail and, at the extreme end, a removal of teh festivals' alcohol license would jepordise the future of the event (the contract with Carlsberg Tetley will add a fair whack to the bottom line)

I'm not suggesting it's a likely outcome, but it explains why MB is taking this so seriously.

As an aside if I were a 17 year old I'd ensure I brought my own booze with me; it's cheaper and won't be confiscated (remember kids is not illegal to possess or even consume alcohol under 18, merely to purchase it...)

Edited by budvar

If people are worried about getting ID'd and also worried about carrying licence or passport with them then take your ID, put it in 1 of the lock ups- test the water and see if you're getting asked a lot- if so then take your ID out of lock up and put it back there at end of night

As a 16-year-old I have no right to be annoyed at this. If I'm not going to get sold at the bars without ID any more it's easy enough to take my own booze in.

Does anyone know what night-time venues have an 18+ policy? All my pals going are over-age, I hope I'm not going to get turned away from every club for not having proper ID (I usually get away with a really shit student card so that won't fly if they're being strict, or I borrow a pals and understandably no-one will entrust me with that for a full 5 days). I remember in 2009 my brother showing me about Shangri-La, and asking the guy at NYC Downlow if I could get in and he said no; I was promptly sent back to the tent and told to go to sleep obviously haha).

Does anyone know what night-time venues have an 18+ policy? All my pals going are over-age, I hope I'm not going to get turned away from every club for not having proper ID (I usually get away with a really shit student card so that won't fly if they're being strict, or I borrow a pals and understandably no-one will entrust me with that for a full 5 days). I remember in 2009 my brother showing me about Shangri-La, and asking the guy at NYC Downlow if I could get in and he said no; I was promptly sent back to the tent and told to go to sleep obviously haha).

I never got ID'd at festivals when I was younger but have started being asked for ID occasionally in the past few years. I'm 24 and find it a bit annoying that I have to take my passport to festivals, it's the only ID I have and I'm always a bit worried I might lose it.

I wouldn't mind paying for an over 18 wristband at glastonbury if they did something like that.

I'm 26 now and still get IDed (annoyingly when I got to 21 they brought in Challenge 21 and then I got to 25 and some places brought in Challenge 25 - v annoying!)

I know with the wristbands at Latitude I got into a massive argument with some 16/17 year olds at the bar as they were dead chuffed at having got 18+ wristbands but I asked for ID anyway - one of them had ID so I served that one person one drink. We found out that they weren't necessarily checking ID before issuing the wristbands (this was a few years ago 2006/7?).

Ironically, I got IDed at a WBC bar when I was working for them! (I didn't have my lanyard on!) I always carry my driving licence though so wasn't too much of an issue.