Headliners?

Guest Roonwilldo

I do love this place.

By all means, you can say you don't like her music.

By all means you can say you are disappointed at the booking of an act you don't much care for.

But she is one of the biggest performers on the planet. She'll have a huge crowd.

I do love the "pop music=bad" thing when the Glastonbury line up (certainly on the 3 of the most populated stages) is bloated with dross indie. Or the inference that because you don't like an act no one will watch her.

Glastonbury is always changing, evolving and most importantly surprising. That's one of the reasons it is so special, that it takes punts, it does things different to the norm. And long may it continue.

And if you're not taken with Mrs Carter, you're in luck! You're at Glastonbury and the world is your oyster :)

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neil did tell me last night that Beyonce was 100% playing.

thanks Owen - otherwise people might think I've told porkies here. :)

Unfortunately the very nature of rumours and their sources means that sometimes what I'm told has to be used carefully, to protect the source. That often means that I know stuff for quite a while before it gets used - as Owen will know from the other stuff I said last night too. :P

(Don't try asking him - he won't tell yer :P).

I do love this place.

By all means you can say you are disappointed at the booking of an act you don't much care for.

But she is one of the biggest performers on the planet. She'll have a huge crowd.

I do love the "pop music=bad" thing when the Glastonbury line up (certainly on the 3 of the most populated stages) is bloated with dross indie. Or the inference that because you don't like an act no one will watch her.

Glastonbury is always changing, evolving and most importantly surprising. That's one of the reasons it is so special, that it takes punts, it does things different to the norm. And long may it continue.

And if you're not taken with Mrs Carter, you're in luck! You're at Glastonbury and the world is your oyster :)

It's not that all pop music is bad it is much more that Glasto has never been about celebrating the biggest selling pop artists, otherwise the 80's would have had Spandau Ballet or Wham headlining, the nineties would have seen Take That, Shaggy and Ace of Base and the last decade would have been dominated by X-Factor winners.

3 big names without a doubt.

Not of them are probably seen as being "edgy" or "cool" but they will entertain many and put on good shows.

I will see U2 and possibly Coldplay depending with what else is available.

Beyonce? Most of the girls in my group going love her. Here's hoping The Strokes play The Other on the Sunday and it turns into a boys night/girls night.

Always good on the Sunday to see a rockier type band whilst downing the last of all your left over warm ale!

If she headlines she will have to pull jay-z in to special guest on crazy in love, bonnie and clyde etc. Otherwise she just doesn't have the material for a full headline set at a festival. Personally i was looking forward to seeing her play when it became apparent she was but only as a sub or 3rd from top.

I do love this place.

As I just said on FB, Headliners are only a small part of Glastonbury. Went for the 1st time last year, and saw a couple of great acts in the Queens Head on Thursday.

I will go and see U2, my mate will want to see Coldplay (I will if nothing else catches my fancy), and out of the 4 of us, I don't think any will want to see Beyonce, so hopefully there will be another good act on elsewhere

The pyramid stage turned into V festival years ago, I don't know why people are so suprised by these turgid headliners. You usually get the odd diamond ( in amongst the dung and I would guess this year will be no different.

Beyonce as a headliner though? It's just embarrassing more than anything. Most embarrassing of all though is that she will get a huge crowd. That pretty much sums up the glastonbury crowd now though so I am not surprised one iota. Thankfully there will be pockets of sensible people elsewhere.

Beyonce more viable a headliner than Pulp? Thanks Emily, you really get what it's all about don't you.

Record sales and hype are king!