Edited by thesecretingredientiscrime

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WEST HOLTS

Portishead

Sly and Robbie

Earth, Wind and Fire (celebrating 40th anniversary)

That said, what a bugger for choice (except sat maybe, Sly and Robbie for me!) tongue.gif

I'd say that you're wrong - Jimmy Cliff is playing West Holts on the Friday, and while I can't be entirely sure about it, I'd say he's the headliner. Having Jimmy up against U2 makes perfect sense.

Nice idea with Sly & Robbie, I like of the idea - tho they're not really headliner status. I'd much prefer Stephen Marley, tho he's not really headline status either. But Nas & Damien are, so let's hope they make an appearance. :D

I'd say that you're wrong - Jimmy Cliff is playing West Holts on the Friday, and while I can't be entirely sure about it, I'd say he's the headliner. Having Jimmy up against U2 makes perfect sense.

Nice idea with Sly & Robbie, I like of the idea - tho they're not really headliner status. I'd much prefer Stephen Marley, tho he's not really headline status either. But Nas & Damien are, so let's hope they make an appearance. :D

So if U2 is a given, then there are two headlining spots left. The acts with tour dates in the weeks surrounding Glasto that could pull it off are Coldplay, Arcade Fire (elsewhere on Sunday), Pulp, The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys, and The Chemical Brothers, although Other Stage is far more likely for The Chems. Kings of Leon and Kasabian are Isle of Wight exclusives and the dates don't work for Foo Fighters (also IoW exclusive) and Eagles (thank God).

Acts with no confirmed gigs but are rumoured either for Glasto or at other shows in June/July are Prince, Eminem, Kanye West, Rolling Stones, Abba, Kylie. And there are those out-of-left-field candidates like Lady Gaga, Madonna, Paul McCartney, Green Day, etc.

Daft Punk appears to once again be not touring. Billboard reported that they received an offer to headline Coachella but turned it down because they won't be ready production-wise. Also, still no new material that they can tour (the possibility of playing Tron soundtrack cuts live have been debunked).

Given the current available information, these are my latest predictions...

PYRAMID

Friday: U2

Saturday: Coldplay

Sunday: Pulp (bumped down to subheadliner if something unlikely like Prince happens)

OTHER

Friday: Primal Scream

Saturday: The Chemical Brothers

Sunday: Underworld

WEST HOLTS

Friday: Jimmy Cliff

As for the rest, I haven't a clue. Portishead is highly improbable if the ATP gigs are UK exclusive, sadly. Maybe Mos Def comes back for a makeup gig? Big Boi and Gogol Bordello will be touring this summer, but both could just as easily be elsewhere.

JOHN PEEL

This is also difficult to predict, but based on the current crop of acts that will be around in 2011, I would guess at least one of the following as getting one of the top slots of the day:

Brandon Flowers

Big Audio Dynamite

Death From Above 1979

Klaxons

Animal Collective

Neil would you say that Rolling Stones is getting more and more unlikely?

At the Rolling Stones board they seem to think so -

"Just as he did in 2010, Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts is doing select tour dates in Europe in 2011, with his jazz band The A, B, C & D of Boogie Woogie. The 2011 tour kicks off in Vienna, Austria, at the Wiener Metropol on March 30, March 31 and April 1. Other tour dates are to be announced."

"In 2010, there were rampant rumors that the Stones would begin their next tour in the summer of 2011. I have always been skeptical that a Stones tour would begin in the summer of 2011, considering that it takes about a year for the Stones to plan their tours, and there was no indication that they were preparing to start a tour at that time.

If a Stones tour had been scheduled for the summer of 2011, the Stones would have to be ready to rehearse by the spring of 2011. And with Watts touring with his jazz band during this period of time, all signs point to the Stones not being ready to tour until the last quarter of 2011, if they tour in 2011 at all. A new Rolling Stones album in 2011 is more likely, as guitarist Keith Richards has been hinting in his more recent interviews. Stay tuned."

Neil would you say that Rolling Stones is getting more and more unlikely?

At the Rolling Stones board they seem to think so -

"Just as he did in 2010, Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts is doing select tour dates in Europe in 2011, with his jazz band The A, B, C & D of Boogie Woogie. The 2011 tour kicks off in Vienna, Austria, at the Wiener Metropol on March 30, March 31 and April 1. Other tour dates are to be announced."

"In 2010, there were rampant rumors that the Stones would begin their next tour in the summer of 2011. I have always been skeptical that a Stones tour would begin in the summer of 2011, considering that it takes about a year for the Stones to plan their tours, and there was no indication that they were preparing to start a tour at that time.

If a Stones tour had been scheduled for the summer of 2011, the Stones would have to be ready to rehearse by the spring of 2011. And with Watts touring with his jazz band during this period of time, all signs point to the Stones not being ready to tour until the last quarter of 2011, if they tour in 2011 at all. A new Rolling Stones album in 2011 is more likely, as guitarist Keith Richards has been hinting in his more recent interviews. Stay tuned."

The lack of any announcement by the stones has me wondering what's happening with them and their touring plans, but Keef has said they'd be starting the tour in June (on more than one occasion I think), and he must have got that from somewhere.

Currently, I'm leaning towards them not doing Glasto, but who knows? There's enough time for rehearsals after Charlie's gigs and before Glasto, and while it says above that it takes around a year to plan a tour, my take on things is that the process might well have started around a year ago - all of the band members seemed pretty certain they'd be touring this year long before they'd had their band meeting where supposedly a decision about touring would be taken.

And of course if they've been putting the tour together for quite a while, then it's easily possible that Glasto has long been a part of those plans.

There's a lot of things which seem to fit very well for them being at Glasto this year, but of course those things matching up could just be coincidences. Because they could be merely coincidences I've never put my weight fully behind the idea that they're doing Glasto, but there's so much that fits with the idea that I've not ruled it out either ... to swing me either way I need more info.

So if U2 is a given, then there are two headlining spots left. The acts with tour dates in the weeks surrounding Glasto that could pull it off are Coldplay, Arcade Fire (elsewhere on Sunday), Pulp, The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys, and The Chemical Brothers, although Other Stage is far more likely for The Chems. Kings of Leon and Kasabian are Isle of Wight exclusives and the dates don't work for Foo Fighters (also IoW exclusive) and Eagles (thank God).

Acts with no confirmed gigs but are rumoured either for Glasto or at other shows in June/July are Prince, Eminem, Kanye West, Rolling Stones, Abba, Kylie. And there are those out-of-left-field candidates like Lady Gaga, Madonna, Paul McCartney, Green Day, etc.

Daft Punk appears to once again be not touring. Billboard reported that they received an offer to headline Coachella but turned it down because they won't be ready production-wise. Also, still no new material that they can tour (the possibility of playing Tron soundtrack cuts live have been debunked).

Given the current available information, these are my latest predictions...

PYRAMID

Friday: U2

Saturday: Coldplay

Sunday: Pulp (bumped down to subheadliner if something unlikely like Prince happens)

OTHER

Friday: Primal Scream

Saturday: The Chemical Brothers

Sunday: Underworld

WEST HOLTS

Friday: Jimmy Cliff

As for the rest, I haven't a clue. Portishead is highly improbable if the ATP gigs are UK exclusive, sadly. Maybe Mos Def comes back for a makeup gig? Big Boi and Gogol Bordello will be touring this summer, but both could just as easily be elsewhere.

JOHN PEEL

This is also difficult to predict, but based on the current crop of acts that will be around in 2011, I would guess at least one of the following as getting one of the top slots of the day:

Brandon Flowers

Big Audio Dynamite

Death From Above 1979

Klaxons

Animal Collective