Weather thread 2011

Guest Paul ™

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the good old days before efestivals and webcams and such-like we just looked out the window and thought "Oh look! I can see a patch of blue between the clouds. Everything will be fine". And off we wombled with not a care on our shoulders 'cos we were off to *THE* festival. There is summat to be said for that approach?

Convinced weather will be pretty good throughout the fest now....happy happy happy :)

but tues night/weds morning may be damp and very windy. Not ideal for putting up tents!! Or for queueing at the entrance all night as planned :(

Summary

The Weather for Monday to Thursday looks pretty sorted, quite unsettle with some showers at time, The GFS rainfall total out to T+144, is around 15mm. (the wettest day Monday at around 4mm.)

After this ECM suggest a dry weekend, GFS more unsettled with frontal rain from the west.

All in all quite damp rather than wet, and even though you might favour ECM over GFS, I'd still say that 5.5 is the total score tonight.

Not concerned about rain at all really. Usually, when scattered showers are forecast for glasto, all the clouds seem to skirt round the site- I've seen this at several of the Glastos I've been to. Anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

So go prepared for all three? And anything else that may come your way? This is a photo of my elder daughter and her then boyfriend.

arrival.jpg

You'll find the original at

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/advice/packing-list

They arrived by bus so what you see is what they took on site. She's carrying the tent and he's carrying the sleeping bags & Shmangles. They have a backpack each with all the clothes needed for any weather from a heatwave to a mudbath. He is carrying the umbrella/sunshade and she is carrying the plastic bag full of plastic bottles of booze.

This was 2008 so they did get lucky with the weather. But they were prepared for whatever the universe threw at them.

Edited by donshakey

So you effing should be! What a stupid thing to say to the mother of the young woman in the photo. I've brought my daughter up to respect both herself and others. So she is a young woman who would not let you anywhere near to keeping her warm or making her wet. She has more taste and can spot an immature sexist prat at 50 paces.

Is there nothing in this thread that some puerile idiot won't bring down to the level of a lad mag?

I didn't post that photo so that you could drool over my daughter. Or her ex if that's the way you swing.

I posted it to demonstrate that it is possible (if not encumbered by kids or a physical challenge) to arrive on site prepared for 'whatever the weather' without needing to take so much that you can't move without trolleys that get stuck in the mud. Or several trips back and forth to the car park.

If you want to know what festivals were, and could be again, go watch this on BBC iPlayer - http://www.bbc.co.uk...vals_Britannia/