Weather thread 2011

Guest Paul ™

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it rains and becomes muddy you experience about 1% of what you would otherwise..Hence everyone's obsession/infatuation with any weather updates..

Its tipping down here at the moment. I am prepared to sacrifice a sunny weekend this weekend, where I am meant to be taking the man out for his birthday and going to a camping trip at a mates, if we get a sunny glasto.

NFRNFC

That is all.

Keep the faith, people, we can do it.

Concur totally. Every year the scare-tactician forecasters (most of which probably don't even go to glasto) try to convince us it will be torrential rain throughout the fest. Even last year I remember the weather thread developing in a similar way. BOLLOX. NFR NFC

That's a bit unfair on the likes of JackOne. He doesn't go to Glastonbury and is doing this as a service for us. It's not for the newspapers and he continually puts caveats about the inaccuracy of long range forecasts. He's doing his best because we ask him to and he should be appreciated for that.

We all know that long range forecasts are inaccurate, but, as Aragorn stated, we can sometimes find consistency over different run and/or models that gives more confidence. Last year the models had it as dry before CountryFile which us UKMO data and forecasters anyway.

i do find it funny people going on about countryfile, im guessing they dont have their own special forecasters and just use the same models as everyone else? which would make it no different to anything you could find on the internet

I think they use higher resolution models aswell

I am sure the metoffice use the short range models like

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=nae&MODELLTYP=1&VAR=pslv&HH=72&BASE=-&WMO=

The precipitation maps tend to be far more accurate but of course only go out to T+48

That's a bit unfair on the likes of JackOne. He doesn't go to Glastonbury and is doing this as a service for us. It's not for the newspapers and he continually puts caveats about the inaccuracy of long range forecasts. He's doing his best because we ask him to and he should be appreciated for that.

We all know that long range forecasts are inaccurate, but, as Aragorn stated, we can sometimes find consistency over different run and/or models that gives more confidence. Last year the models had it as dry before CountryFile which us UKMO data and forecasters anyway.

Its certainly chucking it down here atm - West of London!