Rock / Metal, Does it have a place at Glasto ?

Guest Wooden

Glastonbury doesn’t need rock/metal acts but I think it would do better with them, I see groups like N’Dubz playing and I wonder who on earth would go to see them. Obviously people do hence they’re successful but not from a Glastonbury crowd. I just felt it was lacking this year, even a band such as the Manics would’ve made it a more mosh friendly!

They can either be the nicet people on the planet or the biggest dicks on the planet. I agree that sometimes metal fans are some of the funniest and nicest people around, but a lot of them aren't. I'm going to reading this year, and its all the Guns N Roses and Limp Bizkit fans i've spoken to who go on about how much they're going to smoke and drink and how much crazy stuff they're going to do (like some guy i know assuring me he's going to steal someone's tent). My friend was at download and found it hilarious that he spent all weekend stealing other peoples alcohol.

Although i partly agree that they're not the worst. Its also obvious that the sunday night riots at reading have been mainly cause by the kind of people who go just for the social status, not the music.

You just made my own point for me there. These people aren't twats because they like rock, they are twats because they are young, arrogant and stupid. Like you say they go for the status, not the music, how then can you say that rock fans are twats when you've just said that the twats aren't rock fans and just go for the status? I have no intention of getting into an argument with you because I agree that some rock fans are cocks, however I just wanted to point out the contradiction in your statement and to point out once again that there are twats in all walks of life and that I disagree with your opinion that there are a higher proportion of twats that like rock. All the twats that live near me who do stupid stuff on a night, drive really bad modded cars and love shitty drum & bass and chart crap, to me twats love speed garage and the like. I've also overheard plenty of bland indy kids at Glastonbury bang on about how hardcore their drug taking is and what 'crazy' things they've been up to. I'd put this down to idiotic one upmanship, not musical taste! Besides this kind of behaviour is not just restricted to rock my friend, I knew someone at uni (who loved house and dance music by the way) who prided himself on never buying a drink on a night out because he just went around mine sweeping. I mention this to try and demonstrate once again that the twatish behaviours you cited is not restricted to rock fans.

Reading and Leeds attract a crowd of young people (like you say, a lot of them aren't rock fans) who are often away from their parents for the first time. As a result they go mental and behave like idiots. Its down to youthful exuberance, not music. Glastonbury doesn't seem to get these sorts of antics because firstly the better mixture of ages and also because it has a very different atmosphere which makes it clear that this sort of behaviour is just not acceptable.

I'd also advise you to get some new friends, the people your hanging round with sound like cocks.

Oh and like to agree with a few other people on this thread and say that Maiden would make amazing headliners.

citing the pearl jam incident (whilst tragic) is borderline ridiculous though. Ten years on all festivals have improved on their health and safety (I can't comment on the start of the decade but i've noticed it in the five years i've been going to festivals), and above all else, the pearl jam incident happened because they're a band of massive stature (even moreso back then).

I enjoy michael eavis' outlook, and the money the festival raises for various charities rather than opting to rob every punter blind like every other major festival in the uk, but he needs to buy a ticket to download and get a more informed opinion next summer, since it had the best crowd i've seen at a uk festival. Booking metal/ hard rock bands doesn't cause accidents in crowds, if anything it's your more casual punter who goes to one gig a year that should be shown the door, as in the people previously found at oasis concerts who now get shirty with you at a kings of leon gig.

of course metal and rock should be there and more of it.the festival needs to start dropping crap like gorillaz,artic monkeys,jay z and the like.watching some of the stuff on the bbc last week was depressing.mostly complete crap.all that world music trash,reggae,dance and the like.get motorhead on.imagine manowar onit.that would blow away anybody else on that year.but we will no doubt be stuck with the usual garbage for however long it lasts.

Not gonna happen lads. Simple as. Smaller bands that are a bit heavier will always get on the bill, but as headliners, no. ME just won't risk it (not saying he's right, but ever been to a club where they ask the DJ to turn off songs that people are moshing to?...same thing).

of course metal and rock should be there and more of it.the festival needs to start dropping crap like gorillaz,artic monkeys,jay z and the like.watching some of the stuff on the bbc last week was depressing.mostly complete crap.all that world music trash,reggae,dance and the like.get motorhead on.imagine manowar onit.that would blow away anybody else on that year.but we will no doubt be stuck with the usual garbage for however long it lasts.

"World music" - A pig ignorant term. Offensive actually. Lazy journos who couldnt be arsed/shouldnt be journos. Not trash either. Anyone see Os Mutantes this year? Really good, lovely harmonies and great musicians.

Reggae - Trash? :O Did you see Toots and the Maytals this year?

Dont get me wrong, Id love to see Motorhead and Metallica at Glasto but you've just dismissed a lot of music as trash.

P.S. Manowar are absolutely shit. Awful, just awful. :P

RATM played back in '94 (I think). If you're looking for a big name rock band with a broad appeal for the Pyramid, what about AC/DC ? Now that would be a set.

My experience of moshing at rock and punk gigs (which was mostly back in the '80s I admit) is that the punters at those gigs know how to handle themselves, and others, in that environment. It's folk who can't handle it and get themselves into trouble that cause problems, and of course that's more likely to happen at a festival.

Then again, I remember once getting flung out of a mosh pit and landing at the feet of my then girlfriend, who was completely horrified that I just picked myself up and threw myself back in again. :P

Much as I love a lot about Glasto and always have a good time, I do feel the need to see a band with a bit of grunt over the weekend. After all, Muse weren't that bad this year.

Well I'm so sorry that Glastonbury failed to ask for your opinion before choosing it's line-up. If you only want to listen to heavy rock and metal, then Download and Sonisphere are your best bets. Any bands that don't play there are even less likely to play Glastonbury.

And I thought every human being in existence likes a bit of Bob Marley :huh: